Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Poke fans, let's talk about your roster.

I don't follow it real close, but it seems like you guys lost a lot this year.  Staff turnover (?), graduation, opt-outs, etc.  Am I exaggerating the situation or has it really been that bad?  Serious question, not trolling.  What's the scoop on the tundra?

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I don't follow it real close, but it seems like you guys lost a lot this year.  Staff turnover (?), graduation, opt-outs, etc.  Am I exaggerating the situation or has it really been that bad?  Serious question, not trolling.  What's the scoop on the tundra?

I left the tundra near the Colville River Delta on the NoSlope of AK for Baja California, Méx a month-ago.  I saw nothing up there resembling wyo cowgirl f'ball.

7 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Many underclassmen on the defense will get to run around the field with the Boot.    And because this year doesn’t count toward eligibility, these same players will likely be carrying the boot around 5 and maybe 6 times.  So that is pretty cool when you think about it.  

Honestly the defensive departures scare me a little.  Also the staff turnover on that side of the ball is scary too.  That said I trust Coach Bohl made the right hires and we’ve recruited well the last couple of years so we do have some depth.  If the injury bug doesn’t bite us I think we’ll be fair to middlin’ on that side of the ball. If we can complete some passes we’ll be damn good on O.  

We have lost a lot on the defensive side but we have pretty great depth there so I'm not too worried. We'll see once the games are played but at this point I trust the coaches. There is a reason we keep losing our defensive staff. We are very good at it and that starts with Bohl so I trust him to get the right coaches in there and keep the system rolling. Im not worried about the people lost to graduation. LAst year we lost our secondary but had the person behind Andrew Wingaard step in flawlessly. This year we lost our LBs but have some players ready to take up the position without a drop off. The depth along the Dline is a place of concern due to the opt outs but we'll see.

25 minutes ago, tspoke said:

We have lost a lot on the defensive side but we have pretty great depth there so I'm not too worried. We'll see once the games are played but at this point I trust the coaches. There is a reason we keep losing our defensive staff. We are very good at it and that starts with Bohl so I trust him to get the right coaches in there and keep the system rolling. Im not worried about the people lost to graduation. LAst year we lost our secondary but had the person behind Andrew Wingaard step in flawlessly. This year we lost our LBs but have some players ready to take up the position without a drop off. The depth along the Dline is a place of concern due to the opt outs but we'll see.

Considering both the Cowboys starting WILL and SAM LB's from last year are on NFL active rosters this season I think this statement is a tad optimistic.  Fingers crossed it's not too much of a drop off.

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

That ‘person’ at FS Rome Weber will not be playing this fall.  Sorry but there will be a drop off at LB, let’s be realistic.  

But the defense won’t be asked to do as much because this team is set up to control clock and limit possessions of the other team.  

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Considering both the Cowboys starting WILL and SAM LB's from last year are on NFL active rosters this season I think this statement is a tad optimistic.  Fingers crossed it's not too much of a drop off.

Well considering the year before we lost both safeties to the NFL but had Haliburton and Weber step in with little drop off makes me feel better about losing LBs to the NFL. The staff knows how to build depth behind players and fill those spots. I am more worried bringing in a new DC that wasn't in the system but like I said I have faith in Bohl.

I'm always optimistic before the season started. Because why not. We haven't played yet assume the best. After a game or two you can readjust your expectations. 

22 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Well considering the year before we lost both safeties to the NFL but had Haliburton and Weber step in with little drop off makes me feel better about losing LBs to the NFL. The staff knows how to build depth behind players and fill those spots. I am more worried bringing in a new DC that wasn't in the system but like I said I have faith in Bohl.

I'm always optimistic before the season started. Because why not. We haven't played yet assume the best. After a game or two you can readjust your expectations. 

I feel ya.  I am confident Washington will be more productive than Weaver, the guy and DPOY he is replacing.  He is bigger, stronger and just as fast, and but up great production in limited snaps behind Weaver.

Probably not realistic, but hey, now is the time to homer.

As soon as Bob comes clean about his allegiance (aka NOT being a Scout Fan) you will be fine.

College is still 75-80% Coaching/Recruiting. Wyo has both.

12 hours ago, Bob said:

Lost most of the defensive staff to Washington State. I hope there is enough left over to have some continuity on that side of the ball. Plus, the covid kids opting out is going to hurt, not going to lie. I was feeling confident, but now I'm iffy.

Offense should be a legitimately powerful ball-control offense. For the first time in a long time, for some reason, I'm not really worried about that side of the ball.

I thought Bohl was really smart a couple of years ago when he started all freshmen on his O-line.  I know there were some injuries there, but if those guys are all back, I expect a pretty salty running game.  OTOH, I'll believe the Pokes can complete a pass when I actually see it happen.