Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

What Are The Craziest Years in American History?

17 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

You left out 2020.

My vote is 1812-1814, the Brits occupied many American cities and burned down the WH, Capitol, and several other Guv buildings during their Campaign on the Chesapeake. This nation came oh so close to losing its newly won Independence.

yeah until ol' hickory started kicking some ass

and now we're tearing down his statues and efforts being amde to take him off the $20, yay liberalism 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

46 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

The correct answer is, "They don't know how to read in the SEC."

Well I can’t write good without bunches of editing, so maybe I could sell the audiobook to those Neanderthals.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

That was a great sports year. Unless you liked the teams I like.

As a Kings, A’s, and Spartans fan, the good sports years are ... oh nevermind 

20 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I would say this is stupid but for this...

My wife and I had a toast this last New Year's at midnight. We never do that, since she's not a night owl and I like to get up early on New Year's day. But we did it this year, because 2019 was by far the worst year in both of our lives. We literally said, "Here's to 2020. It has to be better than 2019."

So, 2020 is all your fault!  :pitchforks:

21 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

I say it is a tie between the 60s and now.

In both cases, I blame the first half of the Baby Boom generation (the 1944-1954 cohort). I'm in the 2nd half of the generation so I'm not part of that group.

That 1944-1954 birth cohort came into adulthood in the 60s and destroyed cultural norms in many ways.

Now they are nearing the end of their run in power (and their lives) and are doing it again in different ways.

Weird thing about some of that generation is that they were the Hippies, free love, anti-establishment, etc. people that morphed into the 2000's Fox News loving conservatives tight asses 

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

As a Kings, A’s, and Spartans fan, the good sports years are ... oh nevermind 

Eff you.  But at least I was in Ithaca for Cornell's sweet 16 run thatyear. It was rad..

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Weird thing about some of that generation is that they were the Hippies, free love, anti-establishment, etc. people that morphed into the 2000's Fox News loving conservatives tight asses 

I beg your pardon! Not all of us turned conservative. You left out the drugs part. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sweet 16? Hockey? 

Nah dude, they won the ivy that year and beat I believe wisconson and someone else only to lose to the boogie cousins john wall Kentucky team in the sweet 16.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sweet 16? Hockey? 

And remember this shot? Same year, I believe. Would have been the best tourney ever if not for duke winning it all.

5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Nah dude, they won the ivy that year and beat I believe wisconson and someone else only to lose to the boogie cousins john wall Kentucky team in the sweet 16.

Damn. I don’t remember that at all

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Damn. I don’t remember that at all

That was also the year DeSean butler was a god at west Virginia when they won the big east tourney. And Syracuse won the big east regular season before disappointing in the tourney.

Man I do miss living in Big East country in March when that was the best basketball conference in the land.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

That was also the year DeSean butler was a god at west Virginia when they won the big east tourney. And Syracuse won the big east regular season before disappointing in the tourney.

Man I do miss living in Big East country in March when that was the best basketball conference in the land.

DeSean butler was the greatest college basketball player I ever saw in person. So effing clutch. And then his career was ruined by one of the Plumlee brothers in the final four against duke. Didnt even get the call, either.

+++++ duke.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

I was living in the DC area in the 80:s. It was a blast watching Beast basketball. 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

7 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I was living in the DC area in the 80:s. It was a blast watching Beast basketball. 

Syracuse vs Georgetown was a great rivalry.