Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

What Are The Craziest Years in American History?

2021, baybeee!

Cuz we're gonna...

giphy.gif

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

2021, baybeee!

Cuz we're gonna...

giphy.gif

2021 better be saving some wild stuff for the encore because at this point it’s a lot harder to be surprised.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

I say it is a tie between the 60s and now.

In both cases, I blame the first half of the Baby Boom generation (the 1944-1954 cohort). I'm in the 2nd half of the generation so I'm not part of that group.

That 1944-1954 birth cohort came into adulthood in the 60s and destroyed cultural norms in many ways.

Now they are nearing the end of their run in power (and their lives) and are doing it again in different ways.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

2021 better be saving some wild stuff for the encore because at this point it’s a lot harder to be surprised.

According to some around here, the country will be burning after we go a'Packing!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

According to some around here, the country will be burning after we go a'Packing!

Lol no. The country will burn once it backfires and cocaine Mitch and Tom Cotton send the libs to Guantanamo in 2025.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

31 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Should we do a bracket? 

1861-65

1775-76

You left out 2020.

My vote is 1812-1814, the Brits occupied many American cities and burned down the WH, Capitol, and several other Guv buildings during their Campaign on the Chesapeake. This nation came oh so close to losing its newly won Independence.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

30 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Should we do a bracket? 

1861-65

1775-76

No 1787? Constitution, Federalist Papers and Shays Rebellion. Pretty crazy year.

22 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lol no. The country will burn once it backfires and cocaine Mitch and Tom Cotton send the libs to Guantanamo in 2025.

They'll send us libertarians first. Those assholes blame us for everything. 

12 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You left out 2020.

My vote is 1812-1814, the Brits occupied many American cities and burned down the WH, Capitol, and several other Guv buildings during their Campaign on the Chesapeake. This nation came oh so close to losing its newly won Independence.

I left 2020 out because I don’t like tempting what it’s capable of. I’m afraid she’d be like “oh you thought thought the Cuban missile crisis was something? Watch this.”

22 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

1775-76

1861-65

1941-43 

1837 (omitted on your list)

In that order

I guess I should also include the years of WW1 and the Spanish Flu  but all things considered the US had more "normal" time than our peers.  Should probably in there above 2020 but below that time we decided to go all genocidey.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I left 2020 out because I don’t like tempting what it’s capable of. I’m afraid she’d be like “oh you thought thought the Cuban missile crisis was something? Watch this.”

You know a year is shit when you are thinking "Well, I can honestly make an argument that it is not one of the 5 worst years in two and a half centuries, really, I can"

45 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I say it is a tie between the 60s and now.

In both cases, I blame the first half of the Baby Boom generation (the 1944-1954 cohort). I'm in the 2nd half of the generation so I'm not part of that group.

That 1944-1954 birth cohort came into adulthood in the 60s and destroyed cultural norms in many ways.

Now they are nearing the end of their run in power (and their lives) and are doing it again in different ways.

Yep +++++ those guys.   Good riddance when they are gone.   Don’t forget the damage they did in the middle with senior management being all about themselves and off shoring jobs at a high rate.   

14 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I would say this is stupid but for this...

My wife and I had a toast this last New Year's at midnight. We never do that, since she's not a night owl and I like to get up early on New Year's day. But we did it this year, because 2019 was by far the worst year in both of our lives. We literally said, "Here's to 2020. It has to be better than 2019."

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

I would say this is stupid but for this...

My wife and I had a toast this last New Year's at midnight. We never do that, since she's not a night owl and I like to get up early on New Year's day. But we did it this year, because 2019 was by far the worst year in both of our lives. We literally said, "Here's to 2020. It has to be better than 2019."

Ohhhhh +++++ you.

just so we're clear i blame you. - Grumpy Cat | Meme Generator

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Ohhhhh +++++ you.

just so we're clear i blame you. - Grumpy Cat | Meme Generator

Hey man, I didn't know god was listening!