Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Because I have Kaepernick derangement syndrome.

https://level.medium.com/the-demand-for-abolition-979c759ff6f

Actually well written which is not surprising , the guy was and is intelligent.  However, he is completely off his rocker with a few of the conclusions he has come to.  He wants to abolish all forms of law enforcement.  No law enforcement, no prisons.

Kaepernick's America would be an America where far more innocent black people would be murdered.  My stance has long been there is no such thing as a good cop, as you can not be good at doing your job when the job being asked to do is so inherently broken.  However there needs to be repercussions for actions that break the law, especially violent actions.  I would have like for him to expand more on what replaces these systems/institution.  It reads like nothing.

It reads like nothing because it is nothing. He's basically an angsty suburban white kid. The writing follows as much. 

Before you go "Joe, how can you say that!?"...I knew him in High School. I was blacker than he was. 

6 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

It reads like nothing because it is nothing. He's basically an angsty suburban white kid. The writing follows as much. 

Before you go "Joe, how can you say that!?"...I knew him in High School. I was blacker than he was. 

By all accounts he had a rather sheltered life growing up and in college. 

Kaepernick has never been looked on so favorably as he is now.  Reading that though, it is clear he is a not offering anything of substance other than anger.  Anger I would say is justified.  However for somebody who has been so lionized by many, I would expect a little substance.  

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

https://level.medium.com/the-demand-for-abolition-979c759ff6f

Actually well written which is not surprising , the guy was and is intelligent.  However, he is completely off his rocker with a few of the conclusions he has come to.  He wants to abolish all forms of law enforcement.  No law enforcement, no prisons.

Kaepernick's America would be an America where far more innocent black people would be murdered.  My stance has long been there is no such thing as a good cop, as you can not be good at doing your job when the job being asked to do is so inherently broken.  However there needs to be repercussions for actions that break the law, especially violent actions.  I would have like for him to expand more on what replaces these systems/institution.  It reads like nothing.

Sincerely

tenor.gif?itemid=12379687

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hey, say what you want about Kaepernick, he was the most exciting player in college football in 2010.

He may (want too) take away your prisons, but he can never take that away.

Agreed. But Cam Newton.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

I guess I'll have to read the next few essays until I can get a sense of what the nuts and bolts are of abolition as far as he's concerned. 

I would imagine the next few will not be penned by him.  I am also looking forward to reading them though.  I am long on record for tearing it down, slowly, and starting over.  It reads like his position is immediate abolition and leaving it at that, as no replacement could function in a society so permeated by racism.

I would also like the take of @youngredbullfan regarding abolition.  These essays are so far well written, and we do have a problem with entrenched, systemic racism in policing and in carceral institutions.  However I simply can not imagine a world in which no state sanctioned entity can not apprehend, incarcerate and in the most unfortunate scenarios kill societies worst.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hey, say what you want about Kaepernick, he was the most exciting player in college football in 2010.

He may (want too) take away your prisons, but he can never take that away.

The night where Boise played Nevada and Bama played Auburn (among others) was one of the most bizarre nights of my entire life. And I remember it vividly distinctly because of the football in the background of the whole thing. 

52 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I would also like the take of @youngredbullfan regarding abolition.  These essays are so far well written, and we do have a problem with entrenched, systemic racism in policing and in carceral institutions.  However I simply can not imagine a world in which no state sanctioned entity can not apprehend, incarcerate and in the most unfortunate scenarios kill societies worst.

Complete abolition without replacement is silly. For a variety of reasons.

I do think you need to repeal and replace many departments, however. There needs to be a complete overhaul of how policing is done in America. Many PDs are beyond repair and just need to be flushed. But that doesn't mean you don't replace them with an entity that operates in the interest of justice.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

I just think we should have micro-partisan militias running things block by block or city by city like they do in Lebanon. The people would have their voice then. 

1 minute ago, Joe from WY said:

The night where Boise played Nevada and Bama played Auburn (among others) was one of the most bizarre nights of my entire life. And I remember it vividly distinctly because of the football in the background of the whole thing. 

It was bizarre for me as well.  There was just this cloud of destruction over the entire city.  We went from thinking we had a chance at the national title to the Vegas bowl in hours.  We were having a pretty crazy watch party with a lot of young adults/teens doing a bunch of drugs (mushrooms, E, blow)  It got weird.  The two on mushrooms started breaking down after the first missed kick.  

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It was bizarre for me as well.  There was just this cloud of destruction over the entire city.  We went from thinking we had a chance at the national title to the Vegas bowl in hours.  We were having a pretty crazy watch party with a lot of young adults/teens doing a bunch of drugs (mushrooms, E, blow)  It got weird.  The two on mushrooms started breaking down after the first missed kick.  

My night involved mushrooms too. But I wasn't in Boise. Still, it was such a weird night. Weird day actually. Had spent the previous 4 days up in a cabin in Big Sky and then, that day, started out that morning by skiing Snow Bowl in Missoula, and it devolved from there. JFC. 

Never hit a brewery after doing hot yoga in a college town full of hippies in the middle of a snowbound spell. That's the lesson I gleaned from the whole thing. 

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I just think we should have micro-partisan militias running things block by block or city by city like they do in Lebanon. The people would have their voice then. 

I can picture an HOA-like heavy-handedness with that one.  In your experience, is the attitude of society in Lebanon similar to many areas here, and is gun culture as prevalent?

I think a start would be police need to live in or very near where they patrol.  Minneapolis police is primarily comprised by folks who don't live in the city.  Leads to a prison guard mentality where you don't know the good people, only the bad.  In time, they all look bad.