Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Hey Lobos, what's the scuttlebutt?

UNM and CSU tee off in our opener.  Both teams are fairly unknown right now as far as system, etc. due to new coaches.

Are you guys hearing anything out of camp?  What type of offense?  We know the defense.  Is anybody lighting it up?  I'm curious what you're level of confidence for this season is.  Really high or is it going to take a couple of years to recover from what seems like a lifetime of bad coaches?

Better, of course that's almost a given. Coach says every position except punter is up for grabs and I don't think that's too much of an exaggeration.

O-line will be solid, but QB and running back is an issue. Last year's starting QB Brandt Hughes (lost first game with a shoulder injury) has reinjured his shoulder and is done. That leaves us with Tevaka Tuioti and Trae Hall. Tuioti has the tools but can't stay on the field due to injuries. Hall is a RS-SO that got a bit of action last year and looked decent. 

Running-back by committee for now, will probably be okay. 

Defense is the key, switching back to Rocky's scheme is going to be interesting. If they "get it" quickly enough, they could be a handful against teams that really haven't had enough prep-time.  

Confidence? I expect a better, more fundamentally sound team, one that doesn't shoot itself in the paw with stupid penalties and a lack of discipline. Other than that? 2020, your guess is as good as mine.

Question. Bo's are running regular practices now, can CSU go 11 v, 11 yet? 

4 minutes ago, jdw said:

Better, of course that's almost a given. Coach says every position except punter is up for grabs and I don't think that's too much of an exaggeration.

O-line will be solid, but QB and running back is an issue. Last year's starting QB Brandt Hughes (lost first game with a shoulder injury) has reinjured his shoulder and is done. That leaves us with Tevaka Tuioti and Trae Hall. Tuioti has the tools but can't stay on the field due to injuries. Hall is a RS-SO that got a bit of action last year and looked decent. 

Running-back by committee for now, will probably be okay. 

Defense is the key, switching back to Rocky's scheme is going to be interesting. If they "get it" quickly enough, they could be a handful against teams that really haven't had enough prep-time.  

Confidence? I expect a better, more fundamentally sound team, one that doesn't shoot itself in the paw with stupid penalties and a lack of discipline. Other than that? 2020, your guess is as good as mine.

Question. Bo's are running regular practices now, can CSU go 11 v, 11 yet? 

Yes.  We've been 11 on 11 for better than a week.  Had our first scrimmage on Saturday.  No media present but the coaches report was about as expected.  "Need more toughness", "Gotta' work on timing", etc. 

Heaters defense won't be any more of a surprise than Rocky's, both are known quantities and it's just a matter of how quick the players "get it". 

From all accounts we're not running the Steve Addazio offense so much as the Joey Lynch offense.  Very uptempo.

A few position switches, but not much in the way of "opt-outs", the only one I'm aware of is Warren Jackson who chose the NFL draft prep route.

It's gonna' be an interesting year with so many teams changing coaching staffs.

11 minutes ago, robe said:

Rocky Long is there you are in trouble. He is the 2nd best coach behind Andy Reid to come out of Provo.

I don't think there's a coach in the conference who takes Rocky's defense for granted.  I do wonder how well the Lobo's can pick it up in this weird and short off-season.  If anything it might be in CSU's favor to get UNM so early.

10 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I don't think there's a coach in the conference who takes Rocky's defense for granted.  I do wonder how well the Lobo's can pick it up in this weird and short off-season.  If anything it might be in CSU's favor to get UNM so early.

I agree on that. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

There's a young lady that covers Lobos Football for the LL. Here's an article she recently posted, with Lobos head coach Danny Gonzales. All indications from the article are, that coach G doesn't expect his team to win alot of games, but that they'll fight anyway. I don't think any Lobos fan is expecting much from his and Rocky's first year here. It's in years 2 and 3, that we're expecting things to take hold. definitely by then, when they have all their own recruits. But for now, I'm hoping the Lobos will compete in games, and hope for them to pull off a surprise or two. 

I'm thinking for sure a Rocky hybrid 3-3-5 defense, and some sore of RPO offense, just due to the number of players in camp that are familiar with that type of offense.  We just lost a QB to a recurring shoulder injury, and have two good looking QB recruits that can help out. But I imagine one of them will redshirt this year. Tuvaka Tiotouti (sp), should again be the #1 QB to start the year, since he has the most experience with the current suspected offense we'll run.

https://www.thelairnm.com/lobos-release-schedule-gonzales-prepares-for-nasty-football/

DC Rocky Long... https://golobos.com/sports/football/roster/season/2020-21/coach/rocky-long/

OC Derek Warehime... https://golobos.com/sports/football/roster/season/2020-21/coach/derek-warehime/

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I use to have fierce hatred for all things New Mexico. After 10 years I no longer root for their demise. I actually was hoping for a series but I have no desire to play against Rocky Long. 

He is perhaps the greatest coach I have ever seen. He had 3 problems he never cared about preseason games and he had no desire to move up to the P5 level. The 3rd is he never returned to BYU. 

6 minutes ago, robe said:

I would not be surprised to see New Mexico beat BSU. 

I WOULD! Probably a good thing that we don't have BSU or SDSU on the schedule, in this first year for Danny and Rocky.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Just now, LoboMan59 said:

I WOULD! Probably a good thing that we don't have BSU or SDSU on the schedule, in this first year for Danny and Rocky.

I still wouldn’t. New Mexico could possibly make the championship game. With Rocky anything is possible. He gave BYU nightmares. 

You guys are going from the worst program every to possibly a League title. 

you guys don’t deserve him. You ran him out of town for never taking preseason games seriously. 

Just now, robe said:

I use to have fierce hatred for all things New Mexico. After 10 years I no longer root for their demise. I actually was hoping for a series but I have no desire to play against Rocky Long. 

He is perhaps the greatest coach I have ever seen. He had 3 problems he never cared about preseason games and he had no desire to move up to the P5 level. The 3rd is he never returned to BYU. 

He also didn't value post season bowl games initially. He took us to 7 bowl games, but we got our arses handed to us in a couple because of that. Once he realized that the school, and fans did, and that they added recruiting value, that's when he started taking them seriously.

17 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

There's a young lady that covers Lobos Football for the LL. Here's an article she recently posted, with Lobos head coach Danny Gonzales. All indications from the article are, that coach G doesn't expect his team to win alot of games, but that they'll fight anyway. I don't think any Lobos fan is expecting much from his and Rocky's first year here. It's in years 2 and 3, that we're expecting things to take hold. definitely by then, when they have all their own recruits. But for now, I'm hoping the Lobos will compete in games, and hope for them to pull off a surprise or two. 

I'm thinking for sure a Rocky hybrid 3-3-5 defense, and some sore of RPO offense, just due to the number of players in camp that are familiar with that type of offense.  We just lost a QB to a recurring shoulder injury, and have two good looking QB recruits that can help out. But I imagine one of them will redshirt this year. Tuvaka Tiotouti (sp), should again be the #1 QB to start the year, since he has the most experience with the current suspected offense we'll run.

https://www.thelairnm.com/lobos-release-schedule-gonzales-prepares-for-nasty-football/

DC Rocky Long... https://golobos.com/sports/football/roster/season/2020-21/coach/rocky-long/

OC Derek Warehime... https://golobos.com/sports/football/roster/season/2020-21/coach/derek-warehime/

Absolutely no question the Lobo's are the underdogs.  Smart of Gonzalez to play that to the hilt.  I have a suspicion that he expects a little more out of his team than he's letting on.  He's probably right that his current talent doesn't fit the systems they're running perfectly, but no way I'll assume Rocky Long is just planning on being good later.

If you're the favorite you tell your team they have a target on their back.  If you're picked last you tell your team to use the disrespect.  They're not going to show up with their pants on backwards.

5 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

He also didn't value post season bowl games initially. He took us to 7 bowl games, but we got our arses handed to us in a couple because of that. Once he realized that the school, and fans did, and that they added recruiting value, that's when he started taking them seriously.

He is weird like Bronco

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Absolutely no question the Lobo's are the underdogs.  Smart of Gonzalez to play that to the hilt.  I have a suspicion that he expects a little more out of his team than he's letting on.  He's probably right that his current talent doesn't fit the systems they're running perfectly, but no way I'll assume Rocky Long is just planning on being good later.

If you're the favorite you tell your team they have a target on their back.  If you're picked last you tell your team to use the disrespect.  They're not going to show up with their pants on backwards.

One thing that most all old WAC schools always noted about Rocky Long football teams, was that you were gonna be in a brawl for sure! Teams may have won the game, but they limped back to their lockers rooms too! Rocky's huge smash mouth offensive lines, and fly to the ball hard hitting defenses, were legend in the young MWC days.

54 minutes ago, robe said:

+++++ you and +++++ byu*

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

+++++ you and +++++ byu*

Ha ha I saw 2 Wyoming fans today all deck out. Of course the only thing I wear is BYU gear. I even wear a BYU tie on Sundays. I fly the BYU flag except on July 4th and the 24th. I fly the American flag on those days. We flip each other off. It was rather refreshing.