Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SparkysDad

BYU For Real?

I was drinking the kool-aid too, thinking BYU was probably good to very good this year...until Air Force thrashed Navy yesterday.

After watching Air Force, with no games played, decimate Navy who had two games under their belts, it made me reconsider BYU's prowess to this point.

Went back to research (using that dependable transitive logic!) and here's what BYU has accomplished so far...

Beat Navy (both teams playing their first game). Navy's best/only win: a 3 point victory over Tulane.

Beat Troy. Troy's best/only win: a beatdown of 0-4 Middle Tennessee State.

Beat La Tech. La Tech's best win: a one point victory over 1-3 Southern Miss (beat North Texas). Or La Tech's beatdown of Houston Baptist?

Granted, they've demolished these bad teams, but I think their fan base is pondering NY6 inclusion or <gasp> Playoff consideration!

It will be interesting as their projected "toughest games" are against three teams (BSU, SDSU and Houston) who have literally played nobody yet! I wish they would have played  the postponed Army game as I think Army (who lost to #14 Cinci by 14 points yesterday) at least would be a better barometer than the teams BYU has played thus far in gaging the current level of BYU's program.

What do you think? Is BYU currently an undefeated Top 15 program (Is Air Force an undefeated Top 15 program?!?! :ph34r:)  or will the season end with BYU losing 2 or 3 or more and being average or below?

16 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

I swear, once @#1Stunner returns from his 7 hour Sunday service.  You are going to feel the wrath of Joseph Smith.  

Clear blue skies here in San Diego.  Hardly an indicator of incoming wrath.  Of course, Joseph Smith works in mysterious ways though :ph34r:

Seriously, who really knows.  All the talking heads seem to think they are pretty good.  All they can do is line up and play the games Holmoe was able to salvage.  So far, they have beat down what has been placed before them.  It will be interesting to watch the season play out. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I don't know, they look pretty dang good

I think/thought so too.  But given Air Force's dominant win against Navy, especially considering that it was AFA's first game of the season against a team that had already played 2 games, do you think Air Force would have similar results against Troy and LaTech?

I ask, only half in jest, if Air Force should also be considered a Top 15 program at this point in the season? Or does BYU = Air Force, with Air Force's expectations not being a NY6 invite nor a Playoff contender.

Like I said, it will be interesting the rest of the way for BYU, although 3 of their next 4 games are against 3-1 UTSA, 1-3 Texas State and 1-2 Western Kentucky to go along with 0-0 Houston. UTSA beat Middle Tennessee by 2, Stephen F. Austin and Texas State in Double OT and lost to UAB. Texas State has only beat the University of Louisiana Monroe and Western Kentucky's lone win is against winless Middle Tennessee State.

They really need to play someone with a pulse soon and that may or may not be Houston (if they end up playing at all given Houston's issues so far!)

They look pretty good so far, but I remember when Boise State demolished Troy 56-20 and UConn 62-7 to start the season several years ago and Boise State fans had visions of the college football playoffs. The following week Boise State got their butt kicked by Oklahoma State 44-21.

We’ll see how good they are when they play Houston, Boise State, and SDSU, none of which are P5, but the best teams they’ll play all year. They may not play a top 25 team the whole season. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I swear, once @#1Stunner returns from his 7 hour Sunday service.  You are going to feel the wrath of Joseph Smith.  

BYU is the most popular, most discussed, most followed, most watched, most emulated, and most cheered for team in the entire MWC.  BYU is the ORIGINAL VILLIAN of the Intermountain West!!

We will CRUSH BOISE, and send them back to the Potato fields, crying to their Idaho Mamas... @bsubroncochick

Go Cougs!!!!

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I was drinking the kool-aid too, thinking BYU was probably good to very good this year...until Air Force thrashed Navy yesterday.

After watching Air Force, with no games played, decimate Navy who had two games under their belts, it made me reconsider BYU's prowess to this point.

Went back to research (using that dependable transitive logic!) and here's what BYU has accomplished so far...

Beat Navy (both teams playing their first game). Navy's best/only win: a 3 point victory over Tulane.

Beat Troy. Troy's best/only win: a beatdown of 0-4 Middle Tennessee State.

Beat La Tech. La Tech's best win: a one point victory over 1-3 Southern Miss (beat North Texas). Or La Tech's beatdown of Houston Baptist?

Granted, they've demolished these bad teams, but I think their fan base is pondering NY6 inclusion or <gasp> Playoff consideration!

It will be interesting as their projected "toughest games" are against three teams (BSU, SDSU and Houston) who have literally played nobody yet! I wish they would have played  the postponed Army game as I think Army (who lost to #14 Cinci by 14 points yesterday) at least would be a better barometer than the teams BYU has played thus far in gaging the current level of BYU's program.

What do you think? Is BYU currently an undefeated Top 15 program (Is Air Force an undefeated Top 15 program?!?! :ph34r:)  or will the season end with BYU losing 2 or 3 or more and being average or below?

happy napoleon dynamite GIF

#15 BYU

3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I think/thought so too.  But given Air Force's dominant win against Navy, especially considering that it was AFA's first game of the season against a team that had already played 2 games, do you think Air Force would have similar results against Troy and LaTech?

I ask, only half in jest, if Air Force should also be considered a Top 15 program at this point in the season? Or does BYU = Air Force, with Air Force's expectations not being a NY6 invite nor a Playoff contender.

Like I said, it will be interesting the rest of the way for BYU, although 3 of their next 4 games are against 3-1 UTSA, 1-3 Texas State and 1-2 Western Kentucky to go along with 0-0 Houston. UTSA beat Middle Tennessee by 2, Stephen F. Austin and Texas State in Double OT and lost to UAB. Texas State has only beat the University of Louisiana Monroe and Western Kentucky's lone win is against winless Middle Tennessee State.

They really need to play someone with a pulse soon and that may or may not be Houston (if they end up playing at all given Houston's issues so far!)

I get what you're saying. But Boise has had to deal with that argument in many of their good years. I think the eyeball test shouldn't be completely ignored. They could very well be a paper tiger, but they are out gaining teams by 300+ yards a game with incredible efficiency. Their QB has an insane 222 pass eff and their starting RB averages over 8 ypc. That's impressive 

Cupcake Schedule yet building momentum. Boise plays them before us and prior to Boise they play Houston. So in all, 3 competitive programs.

Had previously planned to fly to Kolob with Team Farm Animals- not sure that is still in motion- hope so!

BTW Ibanez 28 years old? Take a look at their latest promo with the 3 players- 83 looks 45 at least!

Enemy.jpg

14 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

BTW Ibanez 28 years old? Take a look at their latest promo with the 3 players- 83 looks 45 at least!

Enemy.jpg

That guy has 5 kids and 3 grandkids.  He’s 1 year away from getting a BYU pension and 6 years away from social security income..

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, utenation said:

Against who though? It’s pretty easy to look good against FCS quality teams..

Good point.   But....So far, every team BYU has played is better than any team Utah has played.

The End!

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Emulated? So we are all chop blocking, eye gauging, nut punching, 28 year old soakers?

Nah, but I do wish you would move your other sports to the MWC.

The BYU vs BOISE game will be the biggest game any MWC school plays all season.

It is going to be huge!!!