Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SparkysDad

BYU For Real?

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, Bob said:

BYU = :wastebasket:

Looking at Wyoming's schedule.... you guys are at a high risk of having games canceled (CSU and New Mexico are in States run by Democrats).  Hawaii is also a risk of cancellation.

If Wyoming starts losing games to cancellation, I think BYU needs to step up and offer to assist Wyoming.  BYU only has 1 or 2 open games (on a 12 game schedule), but we need to probably help Wyoming if the need arises. 

Guest #1Stunner

Tom has said the goal is for a 12 game schedule.

Simply amazing that Tom was able to put together a schedule at all this season....

Now BYU ranked.

The Boise and SDSU games are huge.

Would also like to add another MWC game, or maybe an AAC game (SMU or UCF would be fun)

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Not even close.  

Which matchup do you have as the biggest?

CSU vs WYO (I admit, that game is always an instant classic, and should be on Network TV every year). 

15 hours ago, kingpotato said:

I get what you're saying. But Boise has had to deal with that argument in many of their good years. I think the eyeball test shouldn't be completely ignored. They could very well be a paper tiger, but they are out gaining teams by 300+ yards a game with incredible efficiency. Their QB has an insane 222 pass eff and their starting RB averages over 8 ypc. That's impressive 

I get it...but in almost every past season, there's been at least one team non-conference that played Boise State that was at least a reasonable measuring stick for the quality of BSU, whether Boise State beat them or lost to them.

This year may be the exception to the above (depending on how good BYU might or might not actually be!) :ph34r: #circularlogic

Among teams who've played games, the Sagarin College Football ratings has them at #8 - 11th overall. (Also AFA jumped one spot ahead of Boise to #28 overall). 

Massey Ratings has them at #10.

They seem legit until proven otherwise. I'm not sure Houston will be very good after their 4-8 season last year and exodus of players. BYU is most likely going to steamroll them.

19 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I was drinking the kool-aid too, thinking BYU was probably good to very good this year...until Air Force thrashed Navy yesterday.

After watching Air Force, with no games played, decimate Navy who had two games under their belts, it made me reconsider BYU's prowess to this point.

Went back to research (using that dependable transitive logic!) and here's what BYU has accomplished so far...

Beat Navy (both teams playing their first game). Navy's best/only win: a 3 point victory over Tulane.

Beat Troy. Troy's best/only win: a beatdown of 0-4 Middle Tennessee State.

Beat La Tech. La Tech's best win: a one point victory over 1-3 Southern Miss (beat North Texas). Or La Tech's beatdown of Houston Baptist?

Granted, they've demolished these bad teams, but I think their fan base is pondering NY6 inclusion or <gasp> Playoff consideration!

It will be interesting as their projected "toughest games" are against three teams (BSU, SDSU and Houston) who have literally played nobody yet! I wish they would have played  the postponed Army game as I think Army (who lost to #14 Cinci by 14 points yesterday) at least would be a better barometer than the teams BYU has played thus far in gaging the current level of BYU's program.

What do you think? Is BYU currently an undefeated Top 15 program (Is Air Force an undefeated Top 15 program?!?! :ph34r:)  or will the season end with BYU losing 2 or 3 or more and being average or below?

I have no idea how good BYU is, but I'm not sure the Navy good is a gauge for anything,   BYU was up 45-0 with 6:15 left in the 3rd when the backup started playing (QB Romney and others).  At the end of the game BYU had a 2nd and 2 at the Navy 3, then took a 1 yard loss, followed by 2 more 3 yard loss kneel downs to turn the ball over at the Navy 10 with 28 left on the clock.   They did the same thing against Troy (1st and goal at the 3 with over minute left in the game).  Those are BYU's red zone none scores in the 3 games this season (16-18).

To me BYU's real strength is in their lines.  The OL has been getting a lot talk about draft able players like: Sr. Tristen Hoge 6' 5" 310, Sr. Chandon Herring 6' 7" 310, Jr. Brady Christensen 6' 6" 300, and Jr. C James Empey 6' 4" 303.  BYU's DL has been greatly helped by the beast Khyiris Tonga 6" 4" 321 returning for his Sr. year and backup true freshman DE Tyler Batty 6' 5" 261 is making noise with 4 sacks in just 2 games (didn't play in the Navy game).  BYU has 5 different DL-men that have recorded at least 1 sack: Tyler Batty 6' 5" 261 (4.0-20), Khyiris Tonga 6" 4" 321 (2.0-14), Sr. Zac Dawe 6' 4" 271 (1.0-6), Sr. Bracken El-Bakri 6' 3" 286 (1.0-3), and Fr Seleti Fevaleaki 6' 3" 270 (1.0-5).  Other depth of note is: Jr Lorenzo Fauatea 6' 4" 305 (4.5-24 career sacks)

Also a healthy QB in Jr. Zach Wilson 6' 3" 210: 60-71- 949 yards (84.5%), 1 Int, 6 TD's, that's15.8 per completion, and 13.4 per attempt; Rushing 17- 41 yards 5 TD's,  Heck, BYU's backup QB So. Baylor Romney 6' 2" 195 is: 8-10- 127 yards, that's15.9 per completion, and 12.7 per attempt.

BYU's kicker (So. Jake Oldroyd) has been very good, with 19-19 on extra points and 5-5 on FG's with the kicks from: 22, 34, 54, 20, & 45.

BYU can only play the games scheduled and FWIW La Tech received 2 votes in the Coaches poll in week 5.  But a lot of ranked teams (maybe they shouldn't have been ranked) have been rolled in games this strange year of college football in 2020.

8 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Also a healthy QB in Jr. Zach Wilson 6' 3" 210: 60-71- 949 yards (84.5%), 1 Int, 6 TD's, that's15.8 per completion, and 13.4 per attempt; Rushing 17- 41 yards 5 TD's,  Heck, BYU's backup QB So. Baylor Romney 6' 2" 195 is: 8-10- 127 yards, that's15.9 per completion, and 12.7 per attempt.

Looks like Kool Aid Sales are on fire in Provo...  I seem to remember Wilson looking like a fool against Utah, Washington, SDSU and even powerhouse Hawaii in 2019.. His overall stats were average at best.. It's amazing what happens when you aren't playing Kentucky Tech State each week.

1 minute ago, utenation said:

Looks like Kool Aid Sales are on fire in Provo...  I seem to remember Wilson looking like a fool against Utah, Washington, SDSU and even powerhouse Hawaii in 2019.. His overall stats were average at best.. It's amazing what happens when you aren't playing Kentucky Tech State each week.

Who knows, but at least he is not trying to rehab for surgery while trying to play.  It's been around 18 months now since he had surgery on his throwing arms shoulder and I have noticed he is making throws that he didn't make last year.   All I know is last week (week 5) La Tech got 2 votes in the coaches poll and remind me how many Utah got (Utah did get 14 votes in the AP Poll)...  But that same AP Poll in week 4 gave Troy 1 vote and UTSA 2 votes.  It is what it is in 2020 and week 6 Utah is rolling the votes (AP 30 votes and Coaches 36 votes).

10 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Who knows, but at least he is not trying to rehab for surgery while trying to play.  It's been around 18 months now since he had surgery on his throwing arms shoulder and I have noticed he is making throws that he didn't make last year.   All I know is last week (week 5) La Tech got 2 votes in the coaches poll and remind me how many Utah got (Utah did get 14 votes in the AP Poll)...  But that same AP Poll in week 4 gave Troy 1 vote and UTSA 2 votes.  It is what it is in 2020 and week 6 Utah is rolling the votes (AP 30 votes and Coaches 36 votes).

I just think it's funny you are trotting out Wilson's 2020 stats in a wheelbarrow number by number yet fail to mention he's played some of the worst competition on the planet.. BYU like those other turds you mentioned in the polls have been the recipient of rankings without many teams playing, specifically the P12, B10 and even MWC... That will change very soon..

You mentioned Utah.. BYU is lucky they got off the hook this year.. Finally for the first time in over a decade they won't get their ass kicked again by the Utes..

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Good point.   But....So far, every team BYU has played is better than any team Utah has played.

The End!

Pointing Up Morgan Freeman GIF by MOODMAN

23 minutes ago, utenation said:

I just think it's funny you are trotting out Wilson's 2020 stats in a wheelbarrow number by number yet fail to mention he's played some of the worst competition on the planet.. BYU like those other turds you mentioned in the polls have been the recipient of rankings without many teams playing, specifically the P12, B10 and even MWC... That will change very soon..

You mentioned Utah.. BYU is lucky they got off the hook this year.. Finally for the first time in over a decade they won't get their ass kicked again by the Utes..

Natty, all trolling aside, why does it bother you, or better yet, why do you even care when fans do what fans are supposed to do, that being get excited about their team?  BYU, Wilson, etc. are getting a lot of national love right now, and are getting it regardless of the fact they have played literally nobody.   This can change in a heartbeat, as you well know considering how Utah finished last season.  You continue being you, as more than likely BYU will continue to garner national attention as they roll over the weak sisters on their schedule.  Fans will continue to be fans and will be excited about their team’s success.   Hopefully you will have something to cheer for in a few weeks once your Utes hit the field in a few weeks.   Best regards ol’ friend.

48 minutes ago, utenation said:

Don't count the chickens yet. I am fully expecting powers that be to schedule BYU/Utah in a bowl again if it is at all possible.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Which matchup do you have as the biggest?

CSU vs WYO (I admit, that game is always an instant classic, and should be on Network TV every year). 

Only time will dictate what ultimately was the biggest matchup after a few teams have separated themselves from the pack.  But undoubtedly the key matchups determining what teams advance to the MWC championship game, the MWC championship and all of the bowl games that happen will be bigger games.  From a pre-season perspective, the Boise-Wyoming game (among others) is looking to be a very important game.

I hate to burst your bubble but BYU playing a bunch of Sun Belt/CUSA teams and two out of conference games against the MWC will get very little to no national attention because all of the conferences (other than MAC) will be playing.  Let's see on November 21 I could tune into BYU v. North Alabama or Penn State v. Iowa and 50 other FBS games.  Which does the overwhelming population choose...

Heck, I'm probably the only one on here that even knows North Alabama is the Lions or that Florence used to be the annual site of the Division 2 National Championship and this site is made up of football super fans.

4 minutes ago, Mano said:

Don't count the chickens yet. I am fully expecting powers that be to schedule BYU/Utah in a bowl again if it is at all possible.

I don't think we need to worry.. According to folks in Provo, they are probably playoff bound anyways.. 1984 2.0

3 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

I get it...but in almost every past season, there's been at least one team non-conference that played Boise State that was at least a reasonable measuring stick for the quality of BSU, whether Boise State beat them or lost to them.

This year may be the exception to the above (depending on how good BYU might or might not actually be!) :ph34r: #circularlogic

Competition hasn't been great, but it hasn't been FCS teams either. BYU currently leads the country in total offense AND total defense. I've never seen a team do that before. Often times some of the power teams start the season with patsies, and I've never seen one of them lead in both categories. Either way it's good to have BYU on the schedule. They very well could end up being the team that gets Boise into the Access Bowl. There are a lot of assumptions in that statement, but it gives them a legit opponent

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Only time will dictate what ultimately was the biggest matchup after a few teams have separated themselves from the pack.  But undoubtedly the key matchups determining what teams advance to the MWC championship game, the MWC championship and all of the bowl games that happen will be bigger games.  From a pre-season perspective, the Boise-Wyoming game (among others) is looking to be a very important game.

I hate to burst your bubble but BYU playing a bunch of Sun Belt/CUSA teams and two out of conference games against the MWC will get very little to no national attention because all of the conferences (other than MAC) will be playing.  Let's see on November 21 I could tune into BYU v. North Alabama or Penn State v. Iowa and 50 other FBS games.  Which does the overwhelming population choose...

Heck, I'm probably the only one on here that even knows North Alabama is the Lions or that Florence used to be the annual site of the Division 2 National Championship and this site is made up of football super fans.

I'm in complete agreement with you on North Alabama.  In a 12 game schedule, it ranks at the bottom.  

Tom needs to cancel North Alabama and schedule any MWC team who has a cancellation that week.

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Competition hasn't been great, but it hasn't been FCS teams either. BYU currently leads the country in total offense AND total defense. I've never seen a team do that before. Often times some of the power teams start the season with patsies, and I've never seen one of them lead in both categories. Either way it's good to have BYU on the schedule. They very well could end up being the team that gets Boise into the Access Bowl. There are a lot of assumptions in that statement, but it gives them a legit opponent

LA Tech opponent felt similar in caliber to the bottom half of the MWC.

LA Tech still has a lot of WAC pride, and their fans said the program likes playing games out west.

Guest #1Stunner

Texas State, UTSA are on BYUs schedule and are current MWC expansion candidates.

But LA Tech feels most on par with the MWC (bottom half).  They had fight.