misplacedcowboy

Anyone here into mountain biking?

14 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Thanks to @NevadaFan @bsu_alum9 @RogueStout and everyone else for the input!

Ended up increasing my budget a bit and going for a new Fathom 2. I figured it was worth the extra few hundred bucks to get a higher end entry-level bike from the beginning instead of going cheap and looking to upgrade down the road.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-2-2021?partnumber=2101015404

Now the hard part is keeping it hidden from my kids until Christmas morning!

Sick bike. Giant gives you A LOT of bang for your buck. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

52 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

100% agree. I had a mostly XTR build Anthem 1 that I recently sold. It was old—2005: ridden and raced hard for six or 7 years and then mostly garaged since then after I gave it to one of my sons. Although many of the worn components, wheels included, were downgraded when it was refurbished for my son, it was still a fun bike to ride. The guy I sold it to texted me a couple of weeks after buying it to tell me how much fun he was having on it. Giant makes solid bikes. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 10:47 AM, RogueStout said:

I'm a 27.5 guy but I still like the DH side of things. I also have a great XC race bike that's 29, climbs like a mofo. 

I reconnected with an old friend recently who actively races and told me since he bought his 29, he's routinely winning races now. 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

17 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Ended up increasing my budget a bit and going for a new Fathom 2. I figured it was worth the extra few hundred bucks to get a higher end entry-level bike from the beginning instead of going cheap and looking to upgrade down the road.

Sweet bike! Congrats, MC! :cheers:

• Cheers 1

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

One request, please slow down when you encounter hikers and their dogs on the trail. 

Nonsense! Run or be caught! B)

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

After selling my road bike years ago and only having my mtn bike, I recently bought a Giant road bike and that I'm really impressed. I don't know if it falls into the "bang for the buck" category because it certainly wasn't cheap, but that thing moves! I'm looking to upgrade my 26" full suspension to a 29 and I'll have to at least take a look at what Giant offers.

• Like 1

I was an avid road biker back in my late teens, early twenties. A friend of mine who's about 3 years younger than I am almost convinced me to take up mountain biking with him. The week before I was going to pull the trigger on buying a bike, he crashed and broke his clavicle and pelvis. I bought a road bike.

I just crossed 50 and have the cautiousness of age. Mountain biking looks amazing and the health benefits are outstanding.

2 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I was an avid road biker back in my late teens, early twenties. A friend of mine who's about 3 years younger than I am almost convinced me to take up mountain biking with him. The week before I was going to pull the trigger on buying a bike, he crashed and broke his clavicle and pelvis. I bought a road bike.

I just crossed 50 and have the cautiousness of age. Mountain biking looks amazing and the health benefits are outstanding.

We've had several rescue calls for mountain bikers who eat shit and end up crazy amounts of broken bones and that always crosses my mind when I'm out on the trail.....and I usually slow down a bit. :whistle:

Most people probably don't give much thought to the fact that being a good rider comes from being athletic. Anyone can pedal a bike, but that doesn't mean they're cut out to rage down something technical. I had a roommate in college that took up mountain biking so he could hang with the group. He could pedal up the hill as good or better than all of us, but he would always take a spill and he couldn't understand it. That's when I realized that his lack of athleticism in every other sport imaginable translated perfectly to him being an endo machine. 

As far as road bikes, I used to ride a lot in high school and college, but that gave way to mtn biking. Yesterday was my first ride on a road bike in years. I still got it! :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I would take your current bicycle and practice walking up hill until Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

We've had several rescue calls for mountain bikers who eat shit and end up crazy amounts of broken bones and that always crosses my mind when I'm out on the trail.....and I usually slow down a bit. :whistle:

Most people probably don't give much thought to the fact that being a good rider comes from being athletic. Anyone can pedal a bike, but that doesn't mean they're cut out to rage down something technical. I had a roommate in college that took up mountain biking so he could hang with the group. He could pedal up the hill as good or better than all of us, but he would always take a spill and he couldn't understand it. That's when I realized that his lack of athleticism in every other sport imaginable translated perfectly to being and endo machine. 

As far as road bikes, I used to ride a lot in high school and college, but that gave way to mtn biking. Yesterday was my first ride on a road bike in years. I still got it! :D

As you well know, I'm SUPER athletic. 

37 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

As you well know, I'm SUPER athletic. 

That's what I was implying. I didn't want to push it into everyone's face since I know that you're also extremely humble. 

8 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Most people probably don't give much thought to the fact that being a good rider comes from being athletic. Anyone can pedal a bike, but that doesn't mean they're cut out to rage down something technical. I had a roommate in college that took up mountain biking so he could hang with the group. He could pedal up the hill as good or better than all of us, but he would always take a spill and he couldn't understand it. That's when I realized that his lack of athleticism in every other sport imaginable translated perfectly to him being an endo machine. 

You’re probably runnin’ flats on your spendy new road rig.

Puss.

12 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

You’re probably runnin’ flats on your spendy new road rig.

Puss.

You all have just witnessed internet bullying. I'm going to file a grievance!

I'm riding on baskets!

bicycle_pedal_quill_type_early_1980s_cam

Whelp... unfortunately I'm now in the market for a new bike rack. You guys were helpful with the bike recommendations, so I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction again.

The hanging rack I had was ok as a budget option, but I think I'd definitely prefer a platform style this time around.

Thank God my bike wasn't on it at the time...

2002563237_20210528_1502562.jpg.d7853b1d2da96d273ad72b16807f454f.jpg

11 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Whelp... unfortunately I'm now in the market for a new bike rack. You guys were helpful with the bike recommendations, so I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction again.

The hanging rack I had was ok as a budget option, but I think I'd definitely prefer a platform style this time around.

well that sucks :(

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Sorry you got smashed into bro, been there done that and it sucks. I hope everybody's OK

The best advice I can give you is to buy a truck next time.

• Cheers 1

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

6 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Sorry you got smashed into bro, been there done that and it sucks. I hope everybody's OK

The best advice I can give you is to buy a truck next time.

Agreed! Unfortunately we just bought a family suv a month or so ago... I'd prefer to have insurance just cover the repair for now and we'll look to upgrade in a few years