Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Bauer

BYU/Boise Nov 7th

2 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Somebody had to in the MTN division to balance out AFA.  This was us trying to be a good conference mate for a change.

I'm not sure how they are going to do tiebreakers with some teams playing 8 conference games and others playing 7. With Air Force losing Hammond and Wyoming now losing three more starters on defense, Boise is easily the top team in the SEC Mountain... not that they weren't already

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

I guess I still don't get it... Why would they rather play byu than a conference mate. Conference games are fun and byu isn't a premier win. Wierd to me. 

Air Force plays Army in MWC Week 3 (November 7), so someone had to take a BYE week. Pretty nice move for the MWC and its television partners to add BYU @ Boise State to fill that hole.

I don't understand why Air Force and SDSU aren't playing on December 12. Is it to limit Air Force to 8 games (2 OOC, 6 MWC)? Why not just allow Air Force to play 9 games (2 OOC , 7 MWC) and give SDSU the 8th MWC conference game? 

Regardless, I will be thrilled if BYU also gets to add a game with SDSU in December. Word is that the game may be played in San Diego or Vegas, but as part of BYU's ESPN TV deal.

I will be beside myself if BYU and Utah State matchup on December 19 in a snow game! 

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I'm not sure how they are going to do tiebreakers with some teams playing 8 conference games and others playing 7. W-ith Air Force losing Hammond and Wyoming now losing three more starters on defense, Boise is easily the top team in the SEC Mountain... not that they weren't already

Wyoming will still have two deep at every Dline position with players who have played and contributed.   Byrd and Mora were going to be key pieces, but the cupboard in not bare.    Wyoming offense will be tough to stop this year as well IMO.  Two big, Josh Allen mold, QB's a deep and experienced line, a stable of solid backs, and some athletic young wide receivers.   

Looking forward to some football.  

32 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Boise State doesn’t have the history of hate for BYU the other MWC schools do. There are a lot of LDS folks in Boise and Idaho so there’s a degree of commonality. There have been some great games between the two schools.

It’s probably the closest thing we have to a rivalry. It’s likely the marquee game on our schedule this year, especially since they appear to be damn good and will likely be undefeated on Nov. 7. I’m looking forward to the game. 

I grew up in Eastern Idaho having to endure the gooey Cougar love of the locals. No love here.  Let ‘em play their conference mates.  Oh, yeah... that’s right...

1 hour ago, Mano said:

When the rest of the schools in the league allowed an inequitable payouts to secure Boise, this is what they signed up for. Boise pretty much has cart blanche to do whatever the +++++ they want.

So how much extra is BYU paying us for this game? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, robe said:

It looks like BYU SDSU might be a go. 

I told you and @#1Stunner that John David and Tom would make sure it happens.  SDSU chose BYU over our scheduled game at Wyoming.

Looking forward to cougar tails in LES on 12/12.

3 hours ago, CO_Poke said:

Wyoming will still have two deep at every Dline position with players who have played and contributed.   Byrd and Mora were going to be key pieces, but the cupboard in not bare.    Wyoming offense will be tough to stop this year as well IMO.  Two big, Josh Allen mold, QB's a deep and experienced line, a stable of solid backs, and some athletic young wide receivers.   

Looking forward to some football.  

Ohhhhh, football talk.... I've missed you so much.

I think you're discounting what was lost on defense. Wyoming already lost it's three biggest playmakers. Now they lose almost all of the DL and more significantly they lose their entire defensive staff... which is a big one. It's also the 2nd year in a row that they lost their DC. They basically have 3 starters returning on defense to go along with the staff. The defense will definitely take a significant step back. Offensively, they will have one of the best running games in the conference, without question. But they also have what might be the worst passing QB in the country. Coupled with losing their three best WRs, and those guys weren't that good to begin with. They should move the ball and keep games close, but overall, they look one dimensional and I don't think that they will be good enough in other areas to make up for that.

But thank you for talking football. It's been a while.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Fowl said:

I told you and @#1Stunner that John David and Tom would make sure it happens.  SDSU chose BYU over our scheduled game at Wyoming.

Looking forward to cougar tails in LES on 12/12.

Fowl, you're a legend!

John David is a legend!

Tom Holmoe is a legend!

This game will be legendary!!!

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Yeah, I worry we'll see a reversal of what happened last year.

There have been some crazy good games between the two on the Blue. It might be the first time BYU will be favored on the Blue.

26 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

There have been some crazy good games between the two on the Blue. It might be the first time BYU will be favored on the Blue.

I was sure we had you beat when we were kicking a FG in 2003 and in 2016. Also thought we had you beat 2 years ago with 1st and goal with 30 seconds left. Then there was that 7-6 game. Ugh.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I was sure we had you beat when we were kicking a FG in 2003 and in 2016. Also thought we had you beat 2 years ago with 1st and goal with 30 seconds left. Then there was that 7-6 game. Ugh.

Saw that 7-6 game in person, absolutely miserable. 

I believe that was Taysom Hill’s first minutes as a college QB.  

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Biggest concern is BYU will be in mid season form and have had what amounts to an extra fall camp under their belt.  I am expecting we lose because of that.

Boise should be fresher (injuries piling up for BYU by then?) Also will have more film. 

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Boise should be fresher (injuries piling up for BYU by then?) Also will have more film. 

Maybe, I just know the value of extra practices.  When Boise lost three between a combined spring and fall camp Pete was livid.  BYU will have what amounts to an extra camp plus the additional games.  I am not expecting a good outcome, but suspect we sweep our conference schedule, again.

Hope I am wrong.

16 hours ago, tspoke said:

I guess I still don't get it... Why would they rather play byu than a conference mate. Conference games are fun and byu isn't a premier win. Wierd to me. 

Why is anyone from this conference playing them?