Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ghost of Jack Graham

Jeff Linder put together the rivals #1 2020 MWC recruiting class in less than three weeks...

On 10/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, bigd said:

That's pretty awesome, I think Linder iwll be great for you guys. The future of MW basketball is looking pretty bright.

It's amazing what he accomplished in such a short period of time, during the peak of Covid lockdowns.

He put together a top 50 class with 3 weeks to recruit, while keeping all of our best players from transferring.

He assembled a staff that turned a lot of heads and most of them love Laramie. Shaun Vandiver, who's been in Wyoming for about 20 years, stayed on board with Jeff. He really knows the lay of the land and is one of the best when it comes to recruiting Colorado. He gave Riley Grabau his first college gig as the director of recruiting. He found a Wyoming high school legend in Sundance Wicks and convinced him to leave his head coaching gig at Missouri Southern(who he turned around in short order) to come to Laramie. He brought Ken Deweese with him. Ken Deweese was named one of the top 50 assistants in the country and has ties to Bear Haskins and Tim Floyd. 

I attribute the staff he put together for the success on the recruiting trail since he got a Wyoming native, a Wyoming college grad, a guy that's lived and coached in Wyoming for the better part of 20 years, and one of the top assistants in the country with ties to Old Wac basketball glory days. They obviously love Laramie and know about it's inherit advantages. That makes it easier to sell.

I don't know where he goes from here, but you can't start any hotter than Linder has in Laramie. The new staff is on fire right now.

On 10/4/2020 at 11:33 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

It's amazing what he accomplished in such a short period of time, during the peak of Covid lockdowns.

He put together a top 50 class with 3 weeks to recruit, while keeping all of our best players from transferring.

He assembled a staff that turned a lot of heads and most of them love Laramie. Shaun Vandiver, who's been in Wyoming for about 20 years, stayed on board with Jeff. He really knows the lay of the land and is one of the best when it comes to recruiting Colorado. He gave Riley Grabau his first college gig as the director of recruiting. He found a Wyoming high school legend in Sundance Wicks and convinced him to leave his head coaching gig at Missouri Southern(who he turned around in short order) to come to Laramie. He brought Ken Deweese with him. Ken Deweese was named one of the top 50 assistants in the country and has ties to Bear Haskins and Tim Floyd. 

I attribute the staff he put together for the success on the recruiting trail since he got a Wyoming native, a Wyoming college grad, a guy that's lived and coached in Wyoming for the better part of 20 years, and one of the top assistants in the country with ties to Old Wac basketball glory days. They obviously love Laramie and know about it's inherit advantages. That makes it easier to sell.

I don't know where he goes from here, but you can't start any hotter than Linder has in Laramie. The new staff is on fire right now.

While it seems Vandiver has been with your forever, he was one of Leon's first AsstCoaches at BSU. Vandiver left BSU after a year or 2, and took the Emporia State job until 2018 when he arrived at Wyoming. He and Linder worked together at BSU. So Linder keeping him was no surprise as they have worked together previously and known each other for 10+ years.

Linder is a good get and I think will actually be a better head coach than Rice.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:50 AM, BobbyBoSox said:

While it seems Vandiver has been with your forever, he was one of Leon's first AsstCoaches at BSU. Vandiver left BSU after a year or 2, and took the Emporia State job until 2018 when he arrived at Wyoming. He and Linder worked together at BSU. So Linder keeping him was no surprise as they have worked together previously and known each other for 10+ years.

Linder is a good get and I think will actually be a better head coach than Rice.

Vandiver has been on four different Wyoming staffs. His daughter is one of the best players in Wyo history.

He started as a grad assistant under McClain in 2002. Thats why I said he's been in Laramie for the better part of 20 years. He's practically a native now.

I think Linder is already better than Rice.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:00 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Vandiver has been on four different Wyoming staffs. His daughter is one of the best players in Wyo history.

He started as a grad assistant under McClain in 2002. Thats why I said he's been in Laramie for the better part of 20 years. He's practically a native now.

I think Linder is already better than Rice.

Based on a recruiting class?  Rice recruited a few NBA players on the lowest budget in the MWC.   Linder is a stud but he's done little yet.  Let's see.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:59 PM, roughrider said:

Based on a recruiting class?  Rice recruited a few NBA players on the lowest budget in the MWC.   Linder is a stud but he's done little yet.  Let's see.

Leon had the #1 recruiting class in the MW his first year in the conference, as well

Rice hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in ten years. Yippee, you've got a coach that finishes above average in the MWC. He still hasn't won a game in the dance. That wouldn't work at any MWC school where teams actually win games in the dance. They would have got rid of him. The only reason he still has a job is because he's in Boise, where you guys don't know what basketball success is and don't have any expectations of NCAA tournament victories. Rice hasn't gotten any better. He's kept his job. In fact, when Linder was at Boise he designed the offense you guys are still running. Rice delegates to people that know how to coach. That's about all he's good at. He's a ceo, not a basketball coach.

Every where Linder goes he wins. He doesn't take easy jobs: Northern Colorado was on probation and short scholarships when he showed up. Boise was basketball hell when Linder showed up.......He takes hard jobs, wins, and actually coaches as opposed to delegating to guys that can coach and hiring guys that can coach.

Unlike Rice, Linder is actually going to make noise on a national level.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:57 PM, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

Rice hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in ten years. Yippee, you've got a coach that finishes above average in the MWC. He still hasn't won a game in the dance. That wouldn't work at any MWC school where teams actually win games in the dance. They would have got rid of him. The only reason he still has a job is because he's in Boise, where you guys don't know what basketball success is and don't have any expectations of NCAA tournament victories. Rice hasn't gotten any better. He's kept his job. In fact, when Linder was at Boise he designed the offense you guys are still running. Rice delegates to people that know how to coach. That's about all he's good at. He's a ceo, not a basketball coach.

Every where Linder goes he wins. He doesn't take easy jobs: Northern Colorado was on probation and short scholarships when he showed up. Boise was basketball hell when Linder showed up.......He takes hard jobs, wins, and actually coaches as opposed to delegating to guys that can coach and hiring guys that can coach.

Unlike Rice, Linder is actually going to make noise on a national level.

Boise has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game.  Rice elevated the program on a dime budget.

11 hours ago, roughrider said:

Boise has NEVER won an NCAA tourney game.  Rice elevated the program on a dime budget.

I know they haven't won a tourney game. Boise is basketball purgatory.

Rice is a ceo. I'm pretty sure he didn't even play basketball.

Linder is a better coach than Rice already.

It's a transfer world now.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Jack Graham said:

I don't know how that relates to Jeff Linder out recruiting SDSU in his first class at Wyoming, but sure........

In related news, my next door neighbor dresses her poodle in a sweater when it gets cold.

This conference is littered with off season champions.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Wyoming forward Drew LaMont enters transfer portal. 6'8" guy that can hustle and drain 3's.

Would have hated to lose this guy the past few years. He will help some team.