Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Why DC Statehood Can’t or Won’t Happen

The reason is the way the 23rd amendment is written.  As it currently stands the 23rd amendment gives the federal district 3 electoral votes.   The bill the house passed earlier this year granting DC statehood strips out the White House, Capitol, and a few other places and keeps that as the federal district.  By doing this whoever occupies the White House would essentially control 3 electoral votes. So the 23rd amendment would need to be repealed, which isn’t likely to happen, before DC can be granted statehood. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

It would also be possible to give the DC (and other districts) representation in the Houses and Senate through Legislative Action without making them a state.  But the downside to that is that it can be undone legislatively as well.

You can’t give them Senate representation as only a State is entitled to Senators. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just crack DC in two pieces. One, smaller side is the Federal district (with around 100,000 voters or so) , the other a brand new state with two additional electoral votes and two senators. Easy. Call the new state the District of Vespucci or something.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

Just now, youngredbullfan said:

Just crack DC in two pieces. One, smaller side is the Federal district (with around 100,000 voters or so) , the other a brand new state. 

So those 100,000 people would still be disenfranchised.  Isn’t what the whole point of DC statehood, to give those people representation?

Day 1: eliminate filibuster

Day 2: schedule binding referendum on Puerto Rico’s status

whenever Puerto Rico inevitably votes for statehood: 2 brand spankin new Puerto Rican Democrat Senators

For the midterms dangle the carrot of taking Weed off the schedule 1. 

Just let Joe stay in the basement and eat ice cream other then that, but at least it puts the Dems in a stronger position whenever they run a candidate that actually wants to do something bold.

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So those 100,000 people would still be disenfranchised.  Isn’t what the whole point of DC statehood, to give those people representation?

Sure, and the Biden rule is why McConnell didn't hold hearings on Garland. I love our perfect world.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 minute ago, youngredbullfan said:

Sure, and the Biden rule is why McConnell didn't hold hearings on Garland. I love our perfect world.

Hey I supported having hearings on Garland and also am now supporting waiting on filing the new vacancy based on the no hearings on Garland. :shrug:

12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

whenever Puerto Rico inevitably votes for statehood: 2 brand spankin new Puerto Rican Democrat Senators

Just let Joe stay in the basement and eat ice cream other then that, but at least it puts the Dems in a stronger position whenever they run a candidate that actually wants to do something bold.

PR voting in two Democrats isn't guaranteed. They've elected plenty of Republican officials. The political calculus would change with statehood, but Democrats shouldn't take the state for granted. Republicans being scared of PR statehood reflects poorly on their party. They don't believe their message resonates with minorities. Perhape they should do something about that.

If PR wants statehood, there's not really a good argument against it

43 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

We need to kick PR off the bus and just let them be. PR doesn’t pass an objective Cost/Benefit analysis.

kat.jpg

16 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

We need to kick PR off the bus and just let them be. PR doesn’t pass an objective Cost/Benefit analysis.

But states like Mississippi do?!? Come on. If PR wants independence, so be it. Let them decide their future

If they add states to pack  Congress and pack the Supreme Court, conservative states at that point need to start cooperating together and ignoring Federal law and form plans to leave the Union. Geopolitically it would be disastrous for the US to break up, but we won’t live under one party tyranny because they rigged it that way. Ironically,  this is one of the main causes of civil strife leading up to the civil war was trying to add states as slave states, or free states to rig control congress. In 1855 we were as politically divided as we are now but most people thought secession was still an absurd idea, by 1860 it was reality. We are playing with fire here. 

7 hours ago, mugtang said:

The reason is the way the 23rd amendment is written.  As it currently stands the 23rd amendment gives the federal district 3 electoral votes.   The bill the house passed earlier this year granting DC statehood strips out the White House, Capitol, and a few other places and keeps that as the federal district.  By doing this whoever occupies the White House would essentially control 3 electoral votes. So the 23rd amendment would need to be repealed, which isn’t likely to happen, before DC can be granted statehood. 

We'll just give those electoral votes to the only resident of the district, President Biden, and see if the Republicans want to compromise with us on re-apportioning those. 

Posted Image

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

If they add states to pack  Congress and pack the Supreme Court, conservative states at that point need to start cooperating together and ignoring Federal law and form plans to leave the Union. Geopolitically it would be disastrous for the US to break up, but we won’t live under one party tyranny because they rigged it that way. Ironically,  this is one of the main causes of civil strife leading up to the civil war was trying to add states as slave states, or free states to rig control congress. In 1855 we were as politically divided as we are now but most people thought secession was still an absurd idea, by 1860 it was reality. We are playing with fire here. 

Good luck with that...I am sure that 70% of people within those states wouldn't like your idea, nor is it possible for a state to strip away US Citizenship from its citizens.  US Citizens have the right to live in the USA and not in Trumpistan.  Armed revolt would just end up with Biden using Trump's favorite law, the insurrection act.

You guys love your high minded lectures about the constitution for the past 15 years and now the rest of the country has finally learned the lesson.    You have taught us that the ceiling and the floor for ALL behavior is what the constitution allows and it allows adding justices, adding states, and eliminating the filibuster.  These are powers that the founders intended us to have and use so we are just being originalists, like you. 

Maybe, however, you can be come a sovereign citizen.  Maybe there is an old bombing range in the middle of the pacific that we can give you guys are something where you can all live.  You can also move abroad, like me, but I don't think any other country in the world will let you bring your arsenal.  

Posted Image

51 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Good luck with that...I am sure that 70% of people within those states wouldn't like your idea, nor is it possible for a state to strip away US Citizenship from its citizens.  US Citizens have the right to live in the USA and not in Trumpistan.  Armed revolt would just end up with Biden using Trump's favorite law, the insurrection act.

You guys love your high minded lectures about the constitution for the past 15 years and now the rest of the country has finally learned the lesson.    You have taught us that the ceiling and the floor for ALL behavior is what the constitution allows and it allows adding justices, adding states, and eliminating the filibuster.  These are powers that the founders intended us to have and use so we are just being originalists, like you. 

Maybe, however, you can be come a sovereign citizen.  Maybe there is an old bombing range in the middle of the pacific that we can give you guys are something where you can all live.  You can also move abroad, like me, but I don't think any other country in the world will let you bring your arsenal.  

Oh yeah we’ll see what happens with public sentiment when  a packed congress outlaws most firearms and a packed Supreme Court completely reinterprets the 2A. Conservative states would just ignore federal law at that point and begin working together to leave. Do it and we are out of here like a bad Taylor Swift song. 

1 hour ago, Akkula said:

We'll just give those electoral votes to the only resident of the district, President Biden, and see if the Republicans want to compromise with us on re-apportioning those. 

Read the 23rd amendment. You can’t reapportion those. 

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Admit it, you hate brown people.

7 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

We need to let the people of Puerto Rico decide what they want. If they want Statehood then we need to admit them. If they want independence then we let them go.