Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Is there anything you would compromise on politically

Is there anything you would compromise on politically with the other side. 

For Instance if Republicans in good faith promised to leave Roe v Wade alone, would Democrats in good faith agree to not go after the Second Amendment. 

Is compromise possible, or are we hopelessly stuck in this death battle seeking the unattainable goal of 100%  victory. 

Another example. If Republicans agreed to raise taxes on high wealth individuals, would Democrats agree to an in depth study, by an independent commission, of the federal budget to find and eliminate waste, and then actually implement the recommended cuts. 

8 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Leave the 2A as is. No additional regulations. 

The trouble with that concept - and its not the only amendment with that problem - is if you ask 100 different people their interpretation of it, you are liable to get 50 different answers.  Even a 'texualist' such as Antonin Scalia did not see the 2nd Amendment as absolute.

The bottom line on RvW is getting people to agree on a very simple, yet very complex, concept - when does life begin.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

The trouble with that concept - and its not the only amendment with that problem - is if you ask 100 different people their interpretation of it, you are liable to get 50 different answers.  Even a 'texualist' such as Antonin Scalia did not see the 2nd Amendment as absolute.

Try not to overly complicate this. Back to my original question. Is there anything you would compromise on. I provided two examples of where there could be room to negotiate and both sides get things they want. Would you support that ? 

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

The bottom line on RvW is getting people to agree on a very simple, yet very complex, concept - when does life begin.

Exactly.  At the debates core resides a religious belief.  No one argues against killing a 6 mo old baby. But when “human life” starts it is hard to say. 

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Try not to overly complicate this. Back to my original question. Is there anything you would compromise on. I provided two examples of where there could be room to negotiate and both sides get things they want. Would you support that ? 

Thought what I said was pretty straightforward.

I am always willing to discuss common ground.  That's how problems are solved.  But people like me are not the problem.  Its those that see the world in black/white, either/or terms that do the complicating.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

Thought what I said was pretty straightforward.

I am always willing to discuss common ground.  But people like me are not the problem.  Its those that see the world in black/white, either/or terms that do the complicating.

My point of this was not to debate the fine minutia of the meaning of the second amendment. Is there a path to compromise where both sides can give a little to get things they want. 

Just now, bornontheblue said:

My point of this was not to debate the fine minutia of the meaning of the second amendment. Is there a path to compromise where both sides can give a little to get things they want. 

Dont believe I was doing that.

There always is a path to compromise.  Always.  But the reason why we dont, well, I stated that already.

Just now, bornontheblue said:

My point of this was not to debate the fine minutia of the meaning of the second amendment. Is there a path to compromise where both sides can give a little to get things they want. 

If Republicans can get machine guns back, then they'll allow Democrats to have post birth abortions.  America, F*** Yeah!

If the Republicans agreed to a clear path for citizenship for undocumented immigrants who have worked here, paid taxes, and not committed a felony, would the the Democrats agree to immigration reform that strictly enforces border security. 

I would give up generational welfare to properly fund community centers, business and small business investment, training programs, and after-school programs in impoverished areas.  

But I already want those independently anyways.  ;)

But I would fund the worthless wall if we could actually have true police and judicial reform.  

2 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

If the Republicans agreed to a clear path for citizenship for undocumented immigrants who have worked here, paid taxes, and not committed a felony, would the the Democrats agree to immigration reform that strictly enforces border security. 

Besides my personal confusion on if the undocumented have paid taxes, and if they should be punished if not, I am for that, and honestly don't know why this is even partisan.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Besides my personal confusion on if the undocumented have paid taxes, and if they should be punished if not, I am for that, and honestly don't know why this is even partisan.

It's partisan because most of those immigrants gaining citizenship would become Democrat voters, which is weird, because many share the same values as Republicans.  It would help turn AZ and TX permanently blue.

23 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Another example. If Republicans agreed to raise taxes on high wealth individuals, would Democrats agree to an in depth study, by an independent commission, of the federal budget to find and eliminate waste, and then actually implement the recommended cuts. 

First of all, tell us where you think there is any "waste"?

Remember, Republican or Democrat, one man's waste is another's bacon.

No one, Democrat or Republican, will do this because it would mean cutting popular programs.

4 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

We really don't even need to go there. When Dubya, a non-bigot, was president a great effort was made to put this together: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Immigration_Reform_Act_of_2007 

However, people who otherwise often detest each other on the far left and far right got together and scuttled it because they refused to compromise.

Get rid of the bigot who's now in the WH and throw those kinds of assholes out of Congress and you have yourself a done deal.

13 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I would. But no wall. That's silly.