Swoll Cracker

What I’m Hearing the 2020 MWC Football Season Will Look Like

Alaska usually wraps up HS football by late October, and the Div 1/2 championship games are played at the Anchorage Football Stadium. This years game was set for October 23rd, haven't heard if they're playing this year though. Temps in Fairbanks in November can range anywhere between 15 and -6 to -10 degrees. Not to mention that Fairbanks is usually buried in snow by November, Far too dangerous to allow high schools kids to play football in those kinds of severe conditions and temperatures. The interior of Alaska has the most extremes for weather. Hottest summers, and coldest winters are in the heartland of Alaska. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

Alaska usually wraps up HS football by late October, and the Div 1/2 championship games are played at the Anchorage Football Stadium. This years game was set for October 23rd, haven't heard if they're playing this year though. Temps in Fairbanks in November can range anywhere between 15 and -6 to -10 degrees. Not to mention that Fairbanks is usually buried in snow by November, Far too dangerous to allow high schools kids to play football in those kinds of severe conditions and temperatures. The interior of Alaska has the most extremes for weather. Hottest summers, and coldest winters are in the heartland of Alaska. 

I may be extending the dates a bit.  I grew up playing little league FB in the Anchorage area.  A lot of mud.  Some games with frozen mud that would cut you up.  No where in the country is football for the faint of heart.  I'm sick of the damn whining.  Play the damn games.

17 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I may be extending the dates a bit.  I grew up playing little league FB in the Anchorage area.  A lot of mud.  Some games with frozen mud that would cut you up.  No where in the country is football for the faint of heart.  I'm sick of the damn whining.  Play the damn games.

I use to live in Anchorage, and Ive worked the oil fields up on the north slope for years. Im very familiar with weather there. I rode a ferris wheel at -5 in Anchorage during Fur Rondy... won't do that again, lol. We'll play football this year, just be patient. Plans are coming together.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

I use to live in Anchorage, and Ive worked the oil fields up on the north slope for years. Im very familiar with weather there. I rode a ferris wheel at -5 in Anchorage during Fur Rondy... won't do that again, lol. We'll play football this year, just be patient. Plans are coming together.

I'd forgotten all about Rondy.  Great times.

16 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I'd forgotten all about Rondy.  Great times.

One year, I bought two beautiful wolf pelts, during Fur Rondy. I set the bag down with the two pelts in it, to buy some junk food from a vendor. When I paid, i looked down, and the bag as gone... F**k!

• Like 1

One of the sites should definitely be Spartan Stadium.  Visiting fans are required to bring either a shovel or a tool belt.  Help erect the new SAC (East Stands) whilst visiting.  For TV and stuff, don't you know...

• Haha 6
  • Cheers 1
1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

One year, I bought two beautiful wolf pelts, during Fur Rondy. I set the bag down with the two pelts in it, to buy some junk food from a vendor. When I paid, i looked down, and the bag as gone... F**k!

Bummer.  I'm guessing you were on 4th ave.  That's a nasty stretch, or at least used to be.

16 minutes ago, Bronco22 said:

Alaska would be Sweet, but what's a football season w/o the BLUE at BOISE STATE!

A treasure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Idiot 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Angry 1

What is the point/benefit of these pods? And how long are they in the pod for?

an nba bubble scenario is obviously ideal but completely unrealistic for college 

15,000 fans at $50 per ticket is $750,000

That’s a financial hit if no home games even if you subtract expenses, paying $150k travel subs (for hawaii) and lower end attendance. 

That said, pay per view demand would prob jump up for Hawaii.  There could be some revenue from the pod hosting school to help offset long term lodging and meals.  

Say like in San Jose, a convention city, mostly all the conventions are cancelled this year.  A good deal could be had.  Prob need access to a good gym (hotel fitness center not going to cut it).  I could see this working.  There is no school (virtual learning).  And what’s two months of football and studies in a bubble.  

I live in SF so SJ sounds good to me if this route is taken.  There would be some financial hit, but maybe fans will travel especially Hawaii playing the CA schools, Nevada, that’s four schools and 50% of the season.  Hawaii has a good fan base in NorCal.  

3 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I live in SF so SJ sounds good to me if this route is taken.  There would be some financial hit, but maybe fans will travel especially Hawaii playing the CA schools, Nevada, that’s four schools and 50% of the season.  Hawaii has a good fan base in NorCal.  

Don't count on watching your team play at SDSU.

The number of fans seeing the Aztecs live this season is going to be a lot less than  the 15K per game you alluded to. When it was thought they would play at Qualcomm for one more year the idea was they could accommodate 20K with social distancing in that NFL stadium but they've decided against that. If they play in Carson that stadium holds just 27K so my guess is they would allow only about 7K in. However, there's been talk they might just decide the attendance income would be so insignificant that they would play in USD's tiny little crib and not let anybody attend. More likely than that is they would play at Southwestern College in Chula Vista and let maybe 3K in. Whatever is decided, there will be so few tickets available that virtually no fans of the visiting team will be watching the Aztecs play when they're the home team this year.

16 hours ago, LoFasZz said:

What is the point/benefit of these pods? And how long are they in the pod for?

an nba bubble scenario is obviously ideal but completely unrealistic for college 

It makes no sense to me.  @Swoll Cracker has always had good sources so I'm sure he's not blowing smoke, but what a dumb idea.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, quickdraw said:

4 teams with 2 games per day. I know it isn’t higher math but that is 1 game per team.

It looks like the plan is 4 teams and 2 games per pod. Multiple pods.

18 minutes ago, azgreg said:

It looks like the plan is 4 teams and 2 games per pod. Multiple pods.

So that gives you 3 games in your pod.  Then what?  New pods?  What's the point?

It doesn't sound like a great way to address protocols.  Is there a financial reason behind this?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

So that gives you 3 games in your pod.  Then what?  New pods?  What's the point?

It doesn't sound like a great way to address protocols.  Is there a financial reason behind this?

3 pods, 4 teams in each pod, 2 games in each pod. 6 games total. This would be done each week. For the record I think it's stupid but I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

18 minutes ago, azgreg said:

3 pods, 4 teams in each pod, 2 games in each pod. 6 games total. This would be done each week. For the record I think it's stupid but I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

So a couple of players from one team show up with the virus.  You've now contact traced four schools out of competition for a couple of weeks.  Brilliant.  Just play at home and away.  They need to quit outhinking themselves and just play football.

Edit:  One other thing.  You will now have to disinfect a stadium twice.  Locker rooms, training rooms, equipment rooms, sidelines, fan seating, bathrooms.  Dumb, the home team could have all week to do it, now the host team will get about an hour.

• Like 1