Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

PAC12 Chaos. Disagreement on whether to play this Fall.

3 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It would seem to me that only going ahead with football is a Title IX lawsuit waiting to happen. 

It certainly would, but I'm sure it's occurred to them and for some reason all the other conferences are moving forward.

10 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

It certainly would, but I'm sure it's occurred to them and for some reason all the other conferences are moving forward.

Reason:$$$$$$

MWC TV revenues are so meager it probably doesn’t pencil out once you subtract gate receipts. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

It would seem to me that only going ahead with football is a Title IX lawsuit waiting to happen. 

Don't misunderstand because I'm not disagreeing. However there are ways to somewhat get around Title IX.

Example: I donated a fair amount of money to building the new SDSU football locker room. My donation was written to say my money was to go to that and nothing else.

Maybe some government agency will try to say that universities can't do that sort of thing but that would be bollocks. Want a new locker room for women's volleyball? Contact your favorite university and offer to donate money which must go to that and nothing else. Won't accept that and are determined to file suit to prevent it? Fine, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face.

1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Reason:$$$$$$

MWC TV revenues are so meager it probably doesn’t pencil out once you subtract gate receipts. 

You're correct IMO.  That doesn't explain ignoring Title IX.  I'm sure somebody in an FBS boardroom figured it out pretty early, or it was determined that losing a lawsuit cost less than not playing football.

On 9/20/2020 at 3:35 PM, Headbutt said:

PAC 12 is almost as stable as the MWC.  Maybe it's not real likely, but it's possible this could be the event that kills it and restarts realignment.

I don't think so my old friend..  I think we will see new leadership very soon. Lots of rumblings with Presidents the last year, specifically with conference leadership AKA Larry Scott..  I think we are a confused behind the time conference right now.. I won't try to debate it. But there is still a lot of power in our footprint..

I know it's popular for morons like @#1Stunner to promote anything negative about the P12, more specifically Utah but I don't think the recent events "kill" the P12.. Guys like Stunner are still bitter about BYU being left out of everything, hence posting any negative article about the P12 and Utah..

Our TV contract is coming up, so I think we will have to have our shit in better order first, but I think there are changes coming.. The focus now is a complete revaluation of our conference and we've brought in some nerds to look at things..

On 9/21/2020 at 6:31 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Watched TCU and Texas play women's soccer on Friday.  People are only paying ATTENTION to football.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

21 minutes ago, utenation said:

I don't think so my old friend..  I think we will see new leadership very soon. Lots of rumblings with Presidents the last year, specifically with conference leadership AKA Larry Scott..  I think we are a confused behind the time conference right now.. I won't try to debate it. But there is still a lot of power in our footprint..

I know it's popular for morons like @#1Stunner to promote anything negative about the P12, more specifically Utah but I don't think the recent events "kill" the P12.. Guys like Stunner are still bitter about BYU being left out of everything, hence posting any negative article about the P12 and Utah..

Our TV contract is coming up, so I think we will have to have our shit in better order first, but I think there are changes coming.. The focus now is a complete revaluation of our conference and we've brought in some nerds to look at things..

The PAC 12 will be fine long term.  They control every significant market West of Texas.  They need USC to be nationally relevant again.  Oregon looks like they are building a future play off caliber team and NC contender.  It should be a deeper conference than the ACC and Big 12 every year.  The biggest long term hurdle the conference faces is fan apathy compared to the South and Midwest, IMHO.

27 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The PAC 12 will be fine long term.  They control every significant market West of Texas.  They need USC to be nationally relevant again.  Oregon looks like they are building a future play off caliber team and NC contender.  It should be a deeper conference than the ACC and Big 12 every year.  The biggest long term hurdle the conference faces is fan apathy compared to the South and Midwest, IMHO.

Agreed.  The P12 has the biggest markets and best sports programs out west.  Whether in football or basketball,  they have the schools to compete for national championships.  While they have lacked the one program to get over the hump the last few years,  the conference is historically strong at the top and long term will be fine with powerhouse programs like USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington leading the way in football, and thrown in Arizona in basketball.  Utah was a solid addition.  I agree the fan passion may not be the same as the south or midwest.  Then again, living in LA for example can't be compared to Tuscaloosa or Lansing or Columbus either.  Let's just say there are a lot more options for entertainment.  

19 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Agreed.  The P12 has the biggest markets and best sports programs out west.  Whether in football or basketball,  they have the schools to compete for national championships.  While they have lacked the one program to get over the hump the last few years,  the conference is historically strong at the top and long term will be fine with powerhouse programs like USC, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington leading the way in football, and thrown in Arizona in basketball.  Utah was a solid addition.  I agree the fan passion may not be the same as the south or midwest.  Then again, living in LA for example can't be compared to Tuscaloosa or Lansing or Columbus either.  Let's just say there are a lot more options for entertainment.  

Bingo.. A lot more to do in the West than managing moonshine stills and going to tractor pulls.. Utah and Oregon might be the only exceptions in the P12 as far as fan support. Both stadiums are over capacity each week and have been so for some time.. TV ratings of the local markets also back this up..

People always criticize the P12 fan apathy.. Which I don't disagree with. I think most markets will support winners but die hards in stadiums each week, just doesn't exist.

USC is down now but given its rich history, it's only a matter of time before almost every game sells out. Washington similar although less so.

Stanford is the opposite. Even during the Harbaugh days the Cardinal wasn't getting a full house as in direct contrast to USC, nobody attends Stanford to watch their school's football team and the same is true of Cal so both schools have a low ceiling as a benefit to the conference.

Seems to me it would be very helpful to the Pac for ASU to finally realize its football potential. Alas, they can't seem to ever hire a next level coach.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Colorado is the new branch in the spokes

prayers needed for the PAC12

Odd that the Denver Broncos can gather to practice, but that Universities in Colorado cannot. 

Not sure that there is the political / institutional will for the PAC12 to play football this Fall.  May guess is that Utah is one of the strongest proponents for playing this Fall. 

38 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Odd that the Denver Broncos can gather to practice, but that Universities in Colorado cannot. 

Not sure that there is the political / institutional will for the PAC12 to play football this Fall.  May guess is that Utah is one of the strongest proponents for playing this Fall. 

I suggest this story from yesterday is why:

BOULDER, Colo. — The COVID-19 outbreak at the University of Colorado Boulder is now the largest in the state, with 1,198 positive cases among students and 104 with probable cases of the virus, according to the latest outbreak data released by state officials Wednesday.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/boulder/covid-19-outbreak-at-cu-boulder-now-the-largest-in-colorado-state-data-says

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Guest #1Stunner
25 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I suggest this story from yesterday is why:

BOULDER, Colo. — The COVID-19 outbreak at the University of Colorado Boulder is now the largest in the state, with 1,198 positive cases among students and 104 with probable cases of the virus, according to the latest outbreak data released by state officials Wednesday.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/boulder/covid-19-outbreak-at-cu-boulder-now-the-largest-in-colorado-state-data-says

Thanks.

Any idea how many Colorado Football players have the virus?

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Not a state order.  Boulder County is special.  Larimer not much different, they may just decide to join in and put CSU's season at risk.