Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

PAC12 Chaos. Disagreement on whether to play this Fall.

I say, if the MWC decides to move forward with fall football, and the Pac12 doesn't, then we allow any pac12 teams (if their conference doesn't bar them), that want to play, join the MWC for this covid season. Would love to see UA/ASU, maybe Colorado, playing with us. Not gonna happen, but still a cool thing to see.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 hour ago, LoboMan59 said:

I say, if the MWC decides to move forward with fall football, and the Pac12 doesn't, then we allow any pac12 teams (if their conference doesn't bar them), that want to play, join the MWC for this covid season. Would love to see UA/ASU, maybe Colorado, playing with us. Not gonna happen, but still a cool thing to see.

Don't we have to save a spot for North Dakota State? 

Guest #1Stunner
31 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

This is old news. I was saying this during the spring.

California is a joke.

Been saying for a while.

BYU needs to support Boise State's efforts to play this Fall.

I agree with Stanford’s main point about the hypocrisy.

It does seem unfair that football gets the okay to play, but women’s volleyball can’t, or that a Stanford student can’t attend an in person chemistry lab. I understand that without Stanford football there isn’t a Stanford women’s volleyball team, but I like that someone is standing up to athletics. 

4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I agree with Stanford’s main point about the hypocrisy.

It does seem unfair that football gets the okay to play, but women’s volleyball can’t, or that a Stanford student can’t attend an in person chemistry lab. I understand that without Stanford football there isn’t a Stanford women’s volleyball team, but I like that someone is standing up to athletics. 

I completely agree.  I just don't see standing down football on those terms.  Let the students attend in person and let volleyball be played.  Stanford needs to look in the mirror.  Hey look, we can play football, let's have chem labs.

4 hours ago, Headbutt said:

PAC 12 is almost as stable as the MWC.  Maybe it's not real likely, but it's possible this could be the event that kills it and restarts realignment.

Yeah, no kidding. I thought this part of the article was particularly interesting:

We talked to one player from the players’ rights group formed by Pac-12 players in July, #WeAreUnited. He agreed that should Stanford allow football players on campus, house them, and stage their games while other students are locked out of campus, the players’ group would have stronger grounds for establishing the union they are ultimately striving to have. This could be viewed as another step in student-athletes moving toward being compensated for playing college sports, and Stanford is vehemently committed to student-athletes retaining their amateur status. Stanford’s Jacquish & Kenninger Director of Athletics Bernard Muir in the past has threatened to take Stanford athletics in a different direction if the University’s athletes went beyond amateurism, including moving the school to another NCAA division. Muir told Congress in 2018 that if Stanford student athletes were allowed to unionize, the school “might opt not to compete at the level we are competing in.”

COVID could just be the beginning of some major changes in college athletics.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, LoboMan59 said:

I'm not opposed to that at all.  I don't like taking orders from California and if CU is going to stay in the Pac-12, I can always watch other conferences besides the Pac-12.  I'm enjoying the ACC this fall so far.

20 hours ago, Ibanez said:

This is old news. I was saying this during the spring.

California is a joke.

Of the four California schools, Stanford is probably the least “California” of the four. Where do the other California schools stand? I would bet money USC wants to play. Probably UCLA too. Cal I’m not sure.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:25 AM, #1Stunner said:

Great comment: "If stanford wants to give themselves the death penalty, let's not stand in their way."

Apparently for Stanford, this actually isn't even about COVID, it's about using COVID as an excuse to strike a blow against professionalization of college football players. Whatever you might think about the propriety of that, it's not a question of whether it will happen but simply a question of when.

I get that some schools won't be able to afford pay their players but Stanford has more money than God so its stance smacks of paternalism at best.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Great comment: "If stanford wants to give themselves the death penalty, let's not stand in their way."

Apparently for Stanford, this actually isn't even about COVID, it's about using COVID as an excuse to strike a blow against professionalization of college football players. Whatever you might think about the propriety of that, it's not a question of whether it will happen but simply a question of when.

I get that some schools won't be able to afford pay their players but Stanford has more money than God so its stance smacks of paternalism at best.

It will be interesting to see if College football continues down the path of more "professionalization", or if it remains a collegial, student thing "rah rah rah...go school".

Without regard to Stanford and the PAC12 completely botching Fall football, I'm somewhat sympathetic to Stanford's desire not to treat college football like NFL Jr.

There could be an eventual split coming (in all of College football), if this turns into players demanding salaries. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

It will be interesting to see if College football continues down the path of more "professionalization", or if it remains a collegial, student thing "rah rah rah...go school".

Without regard to Stanford and the PAC12 completely botching Fall football, I'm somewhat sympathetic to Stanford's desire not to treat college football like NFL Jr.

There could be an eventual split coming (in all of College football), if this turns into players demanding salaries. 

I agree with you and look forward to that day.  Not that CSU would be invited to the "pro division", but I'll be very happy to remain in the "amateur division".

Guest #1Stunner
34 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I agree with you and look forward to that day.  Not that CSU would be invited to the "pro division", but I'll be very happy to remain in the "amateur division".

BYU will not pursue the pro division, either, IMO.

BYU is very happy in the WCC, and would probably prefer to play a more collegial, student and community focused, lower cost, version of college football.  

College athletics are at a weird place....at a fundamental level, it is really supposed to be about the students having fun (not big money).

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU will not pursue the pro division, either, IMO.

BYU is very happy in the WCC, and would probably prefer to play a more collegial, student and community focused, lower cost, version of college football.  

I actually think you just spoke for all of FBS other than about half of the SEC and a smattering of other schools.

If such a split does happen, I'd welcome some limits on the arms race for the amateurs.