Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DestinFlPackfan

Why the fuss over Supreme Court Justices?

26 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I count 28 in my lifetime. ..can't remember one instance of a ruling that changed my life as an American. 

Abortion mostly. People will argue differently. Pretend to have a more nuanced rationale. But it’s really about abortion for most.

I go between “this is a big deal” and “it’s guard rails.”

I see the Right as hitching It’s wagon to the wrong side of demographics.  All the incremental tactics eventually isn’t going to reverse the tide of demographic changes in this country. 

Trump is not for long due to his age.  And with him gone, I’d hope some of the baggage that is personal to him.

The Supreme Court is important in the sense of curbing executive power creep and being the arbitrator of last resort.  I can see a conservative S.C. as being guard rail against too quick of change in society. 

On the flip side, discussion with my wife on this view, she brings up a good point in that I’ve never felt discriminated against so I’m ok with slower progressivism.  That is something to factor in.  

Im ok with abortion with limits.  Gun control with limits.  Guard rails is ok.  

That said Democrats were playing too nice with the Garland thing and if the GOP presses forward we have a big problem.  

Democrats want to preserve the right to taxpayer funded baby murder

Republicans would prefer it if the court stopped inventing shit out of whole cloth such as the right to taxpayer funded baby murder.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I count 28 in my lifetime. ..can't remember one instance of a ruling that changed my life as an American. 

Corps are Citizens

Citizens United

States can set up their own voting rights laws that conflict with US law.

Trump admin arguing for and winning stays in cases that have gone against them in Fed Court

These off the top of my head in just the last decade that have drastically tilted the playing towards the 1% and away from the people.

So, yes, it does matter. Moscow Mitch has packed the Federal Court System not with Jurists who are qualified, have shown Judicial temperament or consistency in their rulings, but with syncophants and political tools who have been promoted above their level of competency and qualification.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Democrats want to preserve the right to taxpayer funded baby murder

Republicans would prefer it if the court stopped inventing shit out of whole cloth such as the right to taxpayer funded baby murder.

So only the wealthy are permitted to have access to legal abortions ?

Americans Mayor

9 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

So only the wealthy are permitted to have access to legal abortions ?

The point, naturally went over your head but since you mention it, Planned parenthood has an annual operating budget of $2 Billion. With that kind of scratch they could literally murder every little baby that deserves murderin' and even a few that don't

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, Fort Fun said:

Citizens United.

LOL

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

52 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Corps are Citizens

Citizens United

Trump admin arguing for and winning stays in cases that have gone against them in Fed Court

These off the top of my head in just the last decade that have drastically tilted the playing towards the 1% and away from the people.

So, yes, it does matter. Moscow Mitch has packed the Federal Court System not with Jurists who are qualified, have shown Judicial temperament or consistency in their rulings, but with syncophants and political tools who have been promoted above their level of competency and qualification.

LOL

Si Se Puede comrade

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

55 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Corps are Citizens

Citizens United

MW-ES659_baby_c_20160728081242_ZG.jpg

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Well, if you were a woman or gay there sure as shit were some rulings that would have affected you. 

12 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I go between “this is a big deal” and “it’s guard rails.”

I see the Right as hitching It’s wagon to the wrong side of demographics.  All the incremental tactics eventually isn’t going to reverse the tide of demographic changes in this country. 

Trump is not for long due to his age.  And with him gone, I’d hope some of the baggage that is personal to him.

The Supreme Court is important in the sense of curbing executive power creep and being the arbitrator of last resort.  I can see a conservative S.C. as being guard rail against too quick of change in society. 

On the flip side, discussion with my wife on this view, she brings up a good point in that I’ve never felt discriminated against so I’m ok with slower progressivism.  That is something to factor in.  

Im ok with abortion with limits.  Gun control with limits.  Guard rails is ok.  

That said Democrats were playing too nice with the Garland thing and if the GOP presses forward we have a big problem.  

The Democrats didn't have enough votes for " the Garland thing". That's the way our system works. If they wanted the "Garland thing" perhaps they should have moderated themselves on the "Obama care" thing and preserved their majority.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

MW-ES659_baby_c_20160728081242_ZG.jpg

Self portrait ?

No, it's not a whine, Destin asked what SCOTUS decisions have had a direct impact in our lives.

Learn to read, comprehend, and think your way out of your RW paper bag.

Americans Mayor

17 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Abortion. 

Since I'm not a woman and have seen photos of aborted fetuses, I can see merit to both sides of the issue. However, those evangelical leaners who used the phrase "MvW" on the other thread - which was confusing to me when I first saw it - obviously care a lot about it. Of course, not a single one is a woman as my non-evangelical leaning wife would want me to point out.

14 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Just wanted to bump this sentiment.