halfmanhalfbronco

The Amygeddon!

This is a really, really good hearing.

Democrats treating ACB with the utmost respect (even if not believing what she says).  Everybody acting with the utmost professionalism. 

For the first time in a while, I am proud of the way our politicians are conducting themselves.  Good job everybody.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

ACB on the law, under appearance of bias, it is a thing and there is also a practice of consultation with the Justices before recusal.

This woman is fair.

But all women are going to end up like this!  Just ask Spartacus:

handmaids tale no GIF by Videoland

• Haha 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

But all women are going to end up like this!  Just ask Spartacus:

handmaids tale no GIF by Videoland

Plz read the article on the challenge to the ACA so we can all laugh at how insane it is.

Nobody is laughing with me, about something I think is funny, and it makes me sad.

Amy....just a hint. The answer is no. Unequivocally no. In a democracy, presidents don't get to hold elections when they feel like it at a time most convenient to them.

A gentle reminder that this is the ideologue that the GOP is ramming into a lifetime appointment because they can't win fair elections. Someone who won't commit to not letting a president pick and choose when he has elections.

8 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Amy....just a hint. The answer is no. Unequivocally no. In a democracy, presidents don't get to hold elections when they feel like it at a time most convenient to them.

A gentle reminder that this is the ideologue that the GOP is ramming into a lifetime appointment because they can't win fair elections. Someone who won't commit to not letting a president pick and choose when he has elections.

That's not fair at all.  She has never written or gave an opinion on such a matter.  That was her saying I can't give an off the cuff response to a question I have not thoughtfully considered.  The Congress sets when the leader of the free world gets to be elected but if say the DRPK nuked US assets in the SCS, yeah the POTUS could delay the election, just not unilaterally.

• Like 2

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That's not fair at all.  She has never written or gave an opinion on such a matter.  That was her saying I can't give an off the cuff response to a question I have not thoughtfully considered.  The Congress sets when the leader of the free world gets to be elected but if say the DRPK nuked US assets in the SCS, yeah the POTUS could delay the election.

Horse shit. And, frankly, you know it is deep down.

In the absurdly unlikely hypothetical situation that you posit, naturally positions would need to be reexamined. But the "off the cuff" response shouldn't be "I need to consult" it should be "elected leaders don't get to choose when they have to be reelected". 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Haven't watched a ton but from what I have watched ACB has handled herself and the nonsense quite well. 

I haven't watched a second of it. Have the Democrats done anything dumber than what would have been expected? 

Just now, NVGiant said:

I haven't watched a second of it. Have the Democrats done anything dumber than what would have been expected? 

I've only watched a tiny bit because this is a predetermined outcome, but in general they've focused on the Affordable Care Act, that it will be struck down and the preexisting conditions part along with it, during the middle of a pandemic.

But otherwise it's been political theater. The GOP CAN do it, so they WILL do it, hypocrisy be damned.

But, that aside, I think Dems' chosen line of attack has been decent if not likely to change anything.

Just now, nocoolnamejim said:

Horse shit. And, frankly, you know it is deep down.

In the absurdly unlikely hypothetical situation that you posit, naturally positions would need to be reexamined. But the "off the cuff" response shouldn't be "I need to consult" it should be "elected leaders don't get to choose when they have to be reelected". 

You do realize she is working without notes, right?  The senators are not.  Saying, I would need to consult and to think and hear litigants is very fair.  Given her textualist stance there should be no doubt how she would rule.  Unless you are suggesting her jurisprudence is impacted.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

No.  Democrats have done an outstanding job.  They are just 30 IQ points below her and they know it, she knows it and everybody watching it knows it.

3 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

I've only watched a tiny bit because this is a predetermined outcome, but in general they've focused on the Affordable Care Act, that it will be struck down and the preexisting conditions part along with it, during the middle of a pandemic.

But otherwise it's been political theater. The GOP CAN do it, so they WILL do it, hypocrisy be damned.

But, that aside, I think Dems' chosen line of attack has been decent if not likely to change anything.

That's good. If Dems talk about anything other than the ACA and hypocrisy then they really don't deserve to win in November. They were going to lose this battle no matter what, but they don't have to lose the election. 

2 minutes ago, nocoolnamejim said:

Homie you should give your thoughts on the ACA thread I started and read the article.

ACA is not going anywhere.

10 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

No.  Democrats have done an outstanding job.  They are just 30 IQ points below her and they know it, she knows it and everybody watching it knows it.

I think everybody on that committee is 30 IQ points below her, GOP and Dem alike. 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Not paying attention to this, and not really interested in commenting to any great extent. Will eventually respond with (vicious ferocity! Perhaps a duel!) to the attack on my person over court packing (Pack that Court!!!) on the other thread. But for now I want to point out the one thing I got out of all this.

I like Senator Gary Peters. I just donated to his campaign. I just sent his campaign a note. People should listen to him. I don't look forward to more women like his wife losing reproductive function or dying. But, it is what it is. 

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a34339956/senator-gary-peters-abortion/

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I like her answer to Blumenthal regarding IVF treatment.