halfmanhalfbronco

The Amygeddon!

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

uh, because these guys are full of shit! Do I win a prize?! 

Kidding aside, I think they worried in 2016 that it might cost them votes if they admitted to what everybody already knew. That they were going to do anything the law allowed to prevent Obama from seating another pick. It didn't cost them votes, so now they can be more honest about it. 

They exercised their power in 2016 and they are going to do it again in 2020.  It is what you do in D.C.  Had Trump lost to Hillary, we would not even remember Garland.  We only remember because Trump did win and Republicans got to make the selection instead of Democrats.  I really don't have a problem with either instance.  You exercise the power you have while you have it.  I am aware of the hypocrisy of what they have said, but what they say is just window dressing anyway....on both sides of the aisle.  You can't trust a word that comes out of their mouths.  You just have to watch what they do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BYUcougfan said:

They exercised their power in 2016 and they are going to do it again in 2020.  It is what you do in D.C.  Had Trump lost to Hillary, we would not even remember Garland.  We only remember because Trump did win and Republicans got to make the selection instead of Democrats.  I really don't have a problem with either instance.  You exercise the power you have while you have it.  I am aware of the hypocrisy of what they have said, but what they say is just window dressing anyway....on both sides of the aisle.  You can't trust a word that comes out of their mouths.  You just have to watch what they do.

This is pretty much what I just said, isn't it? :shrug:

Just thinking out loud, if they seat this judge in October doesn’t it seem like it will help the Dems much more at the ballot box? The deed will have been done, so it’s not like they will be able to dangle to carrot of seating a justice to bring out the GOP base in full force.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Just thinking out loud, if they seat this judge in October doesn’t it seem like it will help the Dems much more at the ballot box? The deed will have been done, so it’s not like they will be able to dangle to carrot of seating a justice to bring out the GOP base in full force.

Normally, yes.  However now there are threats of seat packing.  That will turn out the GOP base, even though Biden is on record as being against it.  It's the fear.  

27 minutes ago, Bob said:

When are we getting our new conservative justice? :P

Your Team is being hypocritical!  No Your Team is being hypocritical!

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Glad you agree that Merrick Garland should be on the court.

A Garland nomination would secure the White House and Senate I think.  

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Your Team is being hypocritical!  No Your Team is being hypocritical!

A Garland nomination would secure the White House and Senate I think.  

Why? You think voters would see Trump with grace or something?

9 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Why? You think voters would see Trump with grace or something?

I think it would lower turnout.  Trump being an existential threat to our country and countrymen's well being is what the left is counting on for turnout.  Nobody is excited about Biden or his platform.  Trump nominating Garland would take some of the wind out of that. 

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think it would lower turnout.  Trump being an existential threat to our country and countrymen's well being is what the left is counting on for turnout.  Nobody is excited about Biden or his platform.  Trump nominating Garland would take some of the wind out of that. 

I don't know. I think we might be beyond the point of no return. Orange man bad runs deep and it wouldn't be hard to move on to another story about orange man bad. But that's my temperature reading and you have yours so :cheers:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Respectfully disagree

• Haha 1

Romney nailed it today. Precedent is to proceed. What Trump and McConnell are doing is legal and following Precedent. 

At this point the only fall out I see is angering the far left. No chance Trump got those votes anyway. I’m guessing Trump gets a Justice confirmed no matter what happens in the Election. I think the Republicans are beginning to feel comfortable with this decision now. 

6-3 result won’t do much except keep legislation from the bench. Heaven help us if the left every get control of the Supreme Court. It will become the executive branch.

• Like 1

The Masters 5k road race All American.

47 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Interesting where did you source that graph.  I would also point out Trump has been coordinating with Thomas to see if he can get more like minded judges. 

From this article about Roberts.

It's a joke that Trump's picks so far are so hated by the left.  The are far closer to center than either of Obamas.  

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/roberts-is-the-new-swing-justice-that-doesnt-mean-hes-becoming-more-liberal/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Interesting where did you source that graph.  I would also point out Trump has been coordinating with Thomas to see if he can get more like minded judges. 

The graphs come from the Martin-Quinn Scores (says so in the bottom right).  And they’re pretty reliable and have been used for a long to time to score the ideological leanings of Justices. 

• Like 2

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Regardless of what Democrats think. Trumps Constitutionally duty is to nominated a new Justice. He should get zero criticism for this. Let me repeat he should get zero criticism for this. 

The senates job is to decide to confirm or not. If they feel that it is better to wait that is fine. Or if they feel like the Supreme Court nominee is qualified by all means vote to confirm. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

From this article about Roberts.

It's a joke that Trump's picks so far are so hated by the left.  The are far closer to center than either of Obamas.  

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/roberts-is-the-new-swing-justice-that-doesnt-mean-hes-becoming-more-liberal/

The left is nuts. At this point Trump is doing his job and clearly any one critical of Trump of appointing a justice has absolutely no understanding of the constitution. I suppose they could criticize the senate. 

I get you might not like it. But it’s following the  constitution. 

If they left controlled the Supreme Court they would rule the constitution unconstitutional. They were one vote from nixing the 2nd amendment. 

The only thing 6-3 gives us is the Status quo. Another decade or 2  of this would give us some stability. 

And to your point you are correct. These guys are moderates not extreme picks like Obama’s