halfmanhalfbronco

The Amygeddon!

13 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That’s the silliest thing you’ve said. They wouldn't have any reason to kill it. Not only because of the reasons I mentioned, but because Dems have no reason to abuse the filibuster when the house can stop any legislation. And the filibuster is already dead for judicial confirmations.

the filibuster has gotten in Republicans way exactly twice. The first time they killed it for SCOTUS picks. The second they worked around it through the reconciliation process. Same shit, different party.I can’t believe after all we’ve seen the last 12 years that you’d be that naive.

They used it not ten days ago. They used it to sink Tim Scott’s police reform bill in June. If the house could stop legislation so easily they wouldn’t need to do that, but they did. They did it because it would be politically advantageous to deny Republicans those bills and because it would be politically treacherous for the house to ignore them. That’s the way the game is played, but you didn’t see a tantrum blowing the whole thing up. 

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, youngredbullfan said:

The Republicans haven't had to kill the filibuster because Democrats generally don't play hardball. They don't obstruct on principle like Mitch. 

They should. If they regain power this election and don't wield it to pummel the ever-living fck out of Republicans and their agenda, they don't deserve power in the first place.

No, it’s because Republicans share power...

image.png.73566cc27d021534cce9d311c4b20860.png

27 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Why would they need to impeach him if that’s the case? Biden would just replace him anyway. And the senate could just vote to confirm in the lame duck. Impeaching the AG isn’t stopping anything.

Impeachment takes precedence over everything. If there is an impeachment the Senate can not vote to confirm anybody. 

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They used it not ten days ago. They used it to sink Tim Scott’s police reform bill in June. If the house could stop legislation so easily they wouldn’t need to do that, but they did. They did it because it would be politically advantageous to deny Republicans those bills and because it would be politically treacherous for the house to ignore them. That’s the way the game is played, but you didn’t see a tantrum blowing the whole thing up. 

That is indeed the way the game is played. I’m just not so naive to think only one party is playing it. You think they’d kill the filibuster for Tim Scott’s bill?

Or maybe the real heroes are the Dems for not abusing the filibuster and using it half as much as the GOP did during Obama’s years. Amirite?!

Share power. :rotflmfao:

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Impeachment takes precedence over everything. If there is an impeachment the Senate can not vote to confirm anybody. 

Yes it can. The Senate doesn’t have to do a damn thing if it doesn’t want to. It certainly doesn’t have to take up articles of impeachment if it thinks they are complete bs. Whoever is saying this is extremely constitutionally ignorant, or a lunatic wishcasting a fantasy. Here’s a secret, the senate doesn’t even have to hold hearings, they could hold a vote five minutes after the President sends them a name if they want.

• Like 2

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Now that would be a new low. And it would cost the Dems the election. 

Just now, NVGiant said:

Now that would be a new low. And it would cost the Dems the election. 

I said it would be an option if they have already won the presidency, Senate, and kept the house if the GOP tried to ram through a nominee during the lame duck period.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes it can. The Senate doesn’t have to do a damn thing if it doesn’t want to. It certainly doesn’t have to take up articles of impeachment if it thinks they are complete bs. Whoever is saying this is extremely constitutionally ignorant, or a lunatic wishcasting a fantasy. Here’s a secret, the senate doesn’t even have to hold hearings, they could hold a vote five minutes after the President sends them a name if they want.

Yea, I’m just repeating what I heard in an interview. Do you have something to cite that says the Senate can just ignore articles of impeachment? I’ll concede if I am wrong, but this just sounds like your opinion. 

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, I’m just repeating what I heard in an interview. Do you have something to cite that says the Senate can just ignore articles of impeachment? I’ll concede if I am wrong, but this just sounds like your opinion. 

https://lawandcrime.com/politics/impeachment-expert-dismisses-possible-tactic-to-stop-new-trump-justice-from-joining-supreme-court/

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I said it would be an option if they have already won the presidency, Senate, and kept the house if the GOP tried to ram through a nominee during the lame duck period.

I missed the context. Still, you shouldn’t use impeachment as a delay tactic. 

Besides, If they lose and try to push a nomination through a lame duck session, which isn’t going to happen, then we’re going to have real problems. like pitchfork problems.

23 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That is indeed the way the game is played. I’m just not so naive to think only one party is playing it. You think they’d kill the filibuster for Tim Scott’s bill?

Or maybe the real heroes are the Dems for not abusing the filibuster and using it half as much as the GOP did during Obama’s years. Amirite?!

Share power. :rotflmfao:

Umm, you realize they already killed the filibuster for most of the things you would try to filibuster, so comparing the time periods as if they’re remotely the same is laughable. All the nominations and appointments where they could have used it they had to sit there impotent cuz thanks Harry, lulz. That chart is like wondering why the use of quaaludes declines. Because they stopped making them.

15 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/article/article-i

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

That means it’s completely up to them whether or not to do it. The President can’t make them do it, the Supreme Court can’t make them do it, and though they can’t hold a trial without articles from the House, the House doesn’t have a say in anything after that.

5 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I missed the context. Still, you shouldn’t use impeachment as a delay tactic. 

Besides, If they lose and try to push a nomination through a lame duck session, which isn’t going to happen, then we’re going to have real problems. like pitchfork problems.

Thank God for most of our Union we did not have social media or mass electronic communication.  

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That just sounds like he is saying the trial wouldn’t take very long because they wouldn’t have to call any witnesses.

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

That just sounds like he is saying the trial wouldn’t take very long because they wouldn’t have to call any witnesses.

That is part of it but missing the bigger part.  They can set their agenda, confirm the SCOTUS while flicking away the impeachment.  There is nothing that states the duty of the Senate needs to prioritize impeachment over any other duty.

25 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Umm, you realize they already killed the filibuster for most of the things you would try to filibuster, so comparing the time periods as if they’re remotely the same or laughable. All the nominations and appointments where they could have used it they had to sit there impotent cuz thanks Harry, lulz. That chart is like wondering why the use of quaaludes declines. Because the stopped making them.

Exactly! The only things that mattered in regard to the filibuster the Party of Sharing Power killed it once and worked around it the second go-around. Since the POSP doesn’t actually nominate anybody, opting instead to use acting appointments to avoid the filibuster, and the POSP doesn’t really do much meaningful legislation anymore, the filibuster hasn’t exactly played a starring role.

The POSP has no interest in sharing power. They'd kill the filibuster if it got in their way, but it hasn’t.

we all know what will happen if Dems regain power. The POSP will filibuster literally everything they can, the dumbass Dems will be suckered into killing it. Same as last time. And when the GOP regains power they’ll retaliate with something worse and the POSP fanboys will come up with more justifications on why they’re different.

In the last two weeks, the two smartest conservatives on this board have claimed the POSP didn’t pander until Trump and the Republicans somehow have any claim to higher ground.The justifications are how both parties get away with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That is part of it but missing the bigger part.  They can set their agenda, confirm the SCOTUS while flicking away the impeachment.  

Maybe. Hopefully we don’t have to find out. To be clear, I did not say I WANT the house to do this, only mentioned that it would be something the House could do. But let’s not pretend like we know exactly what would happen in this scenario. Like everybody is just loving to say right now, NOTHING is preventing a vote next week. Absolutely nothing. If it doesn’t happen, it means they have less then 50 votes. Period. If they don’t have 50 votes now, why are you so confident they would have 50 after a hypothetical election where Trump loses, the GOP loses the Senate, AND they lose a “yes” vote in McSally? 

If it’s going to happen, it’s happening in October. If it doesn’t, then the GOP are playing it safe and waiting on the 11/3 results.   

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Exactly! The only things that mattered in regard to the filibuster the party of sharing power killed it once and worked around it the second go-around. Since the POSP doesn’t actually nominate anybody, opting instead to use acting appointments to avoid the filibuster, and the POSP doesn’t really do much meaningful legislation anymore, the filibuster hasn’t exactly played a starring role. They POSP had no interest in sharing power.  Theyd kill the filibuster if it got in their way, but it hasn’t.

we all know what will happen if Dems regain power. The POSP will filibuster literally everything they can, the dumbass Dems will be suckered into killing it. Same as last time. And when the GOP regains power they’ll retaliate with something worse and the POSP fanboys will come up with more justifications on why they’re different.

On the last two weeks, the two smartest conservatives on this board have claimed the POSP didn’t pander until Trump and the Republicans somehow have any claim to higher ground.  

Well, it’s not the POSP that is talking about killing the filibuster, again, and using it to pack the Supreme Court, again, to add a bunch of senators so they never have to live...checks notes...with a President exercising their constitutional powers, whom they are threatening to impeach, again, for doing just that.

We agree that the dems are going to act like dumbasses, but that’s happening a lot sooner than an election they tell themselves is in the bag. The country didn’t give the Presidency back to the Democrats after Carter until the Cold War was over. I’d wager it won’t give the Senate back to them until they knock this dumb shit off

Impeachment wasn't a good idea before and it isn't a good idea now. Impeachment won't stop anything and it will be seen as a circus. Why take such a risky move so close to the election? The Democrats are favored to win the presidency and retain control of the House. The Senate is in play. An unnecessary risk jeopardizes that all.

• Like 1