mugtang

RBG has died

Since I’ve ignored a few ass hole liberals. I have actually enjoyed posting this time. Thank  you for the class most of the Democrats have shown on this thread. Especially something as upsetting as this. As I said before I would be livid if I was a Democrat. 

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How about one of the Quarum of Twelve. That person should be conservative enough. And I’m sure they have the power to smite Romney down if he gets in the way. 

You would be surprised. President Benson offended the Democrats on the 12 all of the time. He toned it down when he became President. I’m not sure what the makeup is but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s close to 50/50. 

17 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yep, here's royal shitlord Jakey Wohl last night outside the Supreme Court with a megaphone saying that Roe v. Wade is dead.

Isn’t he supposed to be in jail?

• Cheers 2
19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

So thinking of the politics. From the Democratic side, are they better off accepting that they’re beat on this one? Sure, you make a big deal about McConnell’s hypocrisy, call out all the Republicans who said they wouldn’t stand for a nomination right before an election, and do the usual sad song about court polarization. But it seems as though they’d be better off in November if the Republicans ram this through before the election, taking the issue of a vacant SC spot off the table, and Dems fight the good fight and avoid the nonsense of the Kavanaugh spectacle.

Ultimately, Dems have to know they are powerless to stop this. Take the L and focus on 2020, right? Of course, that won’t happen. But politically, it’s the right play.

You need to motivate the base. This is a huge win for them. But I doubt it does much for the male minority vote though. They could care less. Trump has a chance to improve on this from 2016.  

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The purpose of a party is to be a part of a group whose views you share. It doesn't mean that you should be a mindless rube and simply go along with what the majority wants. Members of Congress are elected to serve the interests of their Constituents, not the party, and not the President. 

You highlighted it, but apparently didn’t see it. I didn’t say that you need to always vote as a party line, rather I said most of the time you do. If you don’t do it most of the time, then you don’t have enough in common with the party. Generally voting together as a block is what parties are for. Otherwise, everyone should just be independents. It’s interesting how they do it in Israel. They don’t have any really big parties. They have dozens and dozens of smaller parties, and then the parties shop around for partners for that election and try to build a voting block of many small parties. Sounds like a lot of work and chaos, but different strokes.  

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

You highlighted it, but apparently didn’t see it. I didn’t say that you need to always vote as a party line, rather I said most of the time you do. If you don’t do it most of the time, then you don’t have enough in common with the party. Generally voting together as a block is what parties are for. Otherwise, everyone should just be independents. It’s interesting how they do it in Israel. They don’t have any really big parties. They have dozens and dozens of smaller parties, and then the parties shop around for partners for that election and try to build a voting block of many small parties. Sounds like a lot of work and chaos, but different strokes.  

Israel is a parliamentary system that lends itself to more parties. And Romney votes with Trump 82% of the time.

14 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

so i'm pretty bad at following certain political threads.

where did we land on whether or not it's permissible to have a president in an election year nominate a supreme court justice?  i recall that merrick garland's appointment was strongly opposed, and as i recall mcconnell (that's really a lot of redundant letters, the guy should change his name to 'mconel') referenced some joe biden rule back in '92 as precedent but the whole affair felt contrived to me.  i also recall from 2016 that republicans controlled the senate, which made democrat opposition ineffective.  i believe the republicans control the senate today, right?  so mcconnell is more than clear to flip on this and the democrats still are powerless to stop him...?  right?

however, on its face, this situation appears similar enough to warrant the same argument applied to trump.  if mcconnell proceeds to call for a hearing on a trump nominated justice, then that'd be pretty hypocritical, right?  right?

The Right doesn't care about fair.

Right ?

19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Israel is a parliamentary system that lends itself to more parties. And Romney votes with Trump 82% of the time.

I never said it wasn’t a parliamentary system, ya gube. Nice Try.

82% puts his rank among his fellow GOP Senate colleagues at #57 which is pretty much the very bottom. 82% is awful, as are your silly gotcha attempts. 😂😂😂😂👍

14 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

More like the next 6 weeks will be crazy. I honestly don’t see the GOP Senators trying to push through a nominee for a lame duck president if Trump loses. If he wins, obviously, then they are good anyway. If they are going to try to ram through a justice we will know Monday, or maybe tomorrow. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/yes-republicans-would-ram-through-court-nominee-this-year.html

This is interesting, and could change the calculus if the GOP can't get a nominee rushed through prior to the election and tries to do it in a potential lame duck session.

If Mark Kelly, the Democratic nominee for Senate in Arizona, unseats Senator Martha McSally, a Republican who was appointed to her seat and began serving last year, he could be sworn in as early as Nov. 30 — possibly in time to vote on a new Supreme Court nominee, elections experts said.

Hypothetically, that would narrow the Republicans’ 53-to-47 majority in the upper chamber, which may become relevant if a vote on a replacement for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was delayed until a lame-duck session after the election.

The Arizona race is technically a special election. The state’s Republican governor appointed Ms. McSally to the seat after she was defeated by Kyrsten Sinema, a Democrat, in a closely contested Senate race in 2018.

Mr. Kelly, a former astronaut and the husband of former Representative Gabrielle Giffords, has maintained a steady lead over Ms. McSally, a former military pilot. If Mr. Kelly wins, state election law stipulates a final canvass of the balloting be completed by the end of November, barring legal challenges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/elections/the-winner-of-the-arizona-senate-race-could-be-seated-in-time-for-a-vote-on-a-supreme-court-pick.html

14 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

82% puts his rank among his fellow GOP Senate colleagues at #57 which is pretty much the very bottom. 82% is awful, as are your silly gotcha attempts. 😂😂😂😂👍

I guess Jerry Moran (83.5) Lisa Murkowski (74.6), Mike Lee (74.4), Rand Paul (69.9), and Susan Collins (67.5) all need to be kicked out of the GOP as well. Well, Collins isn't going to be in Congress for much longer anyway. 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Isn’t he supposed to be in jail?

He should be in jail about ten times over between his securities fraud and all of the other shit he's pulled in the last couple of years. 

Fun story, his dad threatened me on Twitter that he'd sue me if I kept talking shit about his son. :rotflmfao:

• Haha 2
Just now, retrofade said:

I guess Jerry Moran (83.5) Lisa Murkowski (74.6), Mike Lee (74.4), Rand Paul (69.9), and Susan Collins (67.5) all need to be kicked out of the GOP as well. Well, Collins isn't going to be in Congress for much longer anyway. 

I wouldn’t have any problem with it. What makes Romney so bad is he’s doing it out of spite for Trump, and his public sliming of the president. You don’t do that to the office of president. Those aren’t his truly held beliefs that he votes on, so he should be booted. 

5 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I wouldn’t have any problem with it. What makes Romney so bad is he’s doing it out of spite for Trump, and his public sliming of the president. You don’t do that to the office of president. Those aren’t his truly held beliefs that he votes on, so he should be booted. 

If you don't like lack of decorum and 'sliming' on the part of elected officials, I have some disturbing examples to share with you regarding Trump's behavior towards women, women political leaders, brown folks from certain countries, injured veterans, soldiers captured or killed in action, and a few others. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Facts are gotcha attempts now? It was just narrowing that you singled out Israel, as if it’s unique. 

Good talking to you as always. 

32 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

If you don't like lack of decorum and 'sliming' on the part of elected officials, I have some disturbing examples to share with you regarding Trump's behavior towards women, women political leaders, brown folks from certain countries, injured veterans, soldiers captured or killed in action, and a few others. 

"Yeah I just wish Trump wouldn't be so gosh darn abrasive but I like his policies of lying about pandemics because stock market and hiring white supremacists to help with ideas on immigration."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

Journalists, liberals, conservatives who disagree with him on an issue, European allies ....

• Like 2
1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

Journalists, liberals, conservatives who disagree with him on an issue, European allies ....

Journalists with physical or genetic impediments, former appointees, the entire doj... 

• Like 2