Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

RBG has died

2 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

You highlighted it, but apparently didn’t see it. I didn’t say that you need to always vote as a party line, rather I said most of the time you do. If you don’t do it most of the time, then you don’t have enough in common with the party. Generally voting together as a block is what parties are for. Otherwise, everyone should just be independents. It’s interesting how they do it in Israel. They don’t have any really big parties. They have dozens and dozens of smaller parties, and then the parties shop around for partners for that election and try to build a voting block of many small parties. Sounds like a lot of work and chaos, but different strokes.  

Israel is a parliamentary system that lends itself to more parties. And Romney votes with Trump 82% of the time.

14 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

so i'm pretty bad at following certain political threads.

where did we land on whether or not it's permissible to have a president in an election year nominate a supreme court justice?  i recall that merrick garland's appointment was strongly opposed, and as i recall mcconnell (that's really a lot of redundant letters, the guy should change his name to 'mconel') referenced some joe biden rule back in '92 as precedent but the whole affair felt contrived to me.  i also recall from 2016 that republicans controlled the senate, which made democrat opposition ineffective.  i believe the republicans control the senate today, right?  so mcconnell is more than clear to flip on this and the democrats still are powerless to stop him...?  right?

however, on its face, this situation appears similar enough to warrant the same argument applied to trump.  if mcconnell proceeds to call for a hearing on a trump nominated justice, then that'd be pretty hypocritical, right?  right?

The Right doesn't care about fair.

Right ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Israel is a parliamentary system that lends itself to more parties. And Romney votes with Trump 82% of the time.

I never said it wasn’t a parliamentary system, ya gube. Nice Try.

82% puts his rank among his fellow GOP Senate colleagues at #57 which is pretty much the very bottom. 82% is awful, as are your silly gotcha attempts. 😂😂😂😂👍

kat.jpg

14 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

More like the next 6 weeks will be crazy. I honestly don’t see the GOP Senators trying to push through a nominee for a lame duck president if Trump loses. If he wins, obviously, then they are good anyway. If they are going to try to ram through a justice we will know Monday, or maybe tomorrow. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/yes-republicans-would-ram-through-court-nominee-this-year.html

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

This is interesting, and could change the calculus if the GOP can't get a nominee rushed through prior to the election and tries to do it in a potential lame duck session.

If Mark Kelly, the Democratic nominee for Senate in Arizona, unseats Senator Martha McSally, a Republican who was appointed to her seat and began serving last year, he could be sworn in as early as Nov. 30 — possibly in time to vote on a new Supreme Court nominee, elections experts said.

Hypothetically, that would narrow the Republicans’ 53-to-47 majority in the upper chamber, which may become relevant if a vote on a replacement for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was delayed until a lame-duck session after the election.

The Arizona race is technically a special election. The state’s Republican governor appointed Ms. McSally to the seat after she was defeated by Kyrsten Sinema, a Democrat, in a closely contested Senate race in 2018.

Mr. Kelly, a former astronaut and the husband of former Representative Gabrielle Giffords, has maintained a steady lead over Ms. McSally, a former military pilot. If Mr. Kelly wins, state election law stipulates a final canvass of the balloting be completed by the end of November, barring legal challenges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/us/elections/the-winner-of-the-arizona-senate-race-could-be-seated-in-time-for-a-vote-on-a-supreme-court-pick.html

14 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

82% puts his rank among his fellow GOP Senate colleagues at #57 which is pretty much the very bottom. 82% is awful, as are your silly gotcha attempts. 😂😂😂😂👍

I guess Jerry Moran (83.5) Lisa Murkowski (74.6), Mike Lee (74.4), Rand Paul (69.9), and Susan Collins (67.5) all need to be kicked out of the GOP as well. Well, Collins isn't going to be in Congress for much longer anyway. 

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Isn’t he supposed to be in jail?

He should be in jail about ten times over between his securities fraud and all of the other shit he's pulled in the last couple of years. 

Fun story, his dad threatened me on Twitter that he'd sue me if I kept talking shit about his son. :rotflmfao:

Just now, retrofade said:

I guess Jerry Moran (83.5) Lisa Murkowski (74.6), Mike Lee (74.4), Rand Paul (69.9), and Susan Collins (67.5) all need to be kicked out of the GOP as well. Well, Collins isn't going to be in Congress for much longer anyway. 

I wouldn’t have any problem with it. What makes Romney so bad is he’s doing it out of spite for Trump, and his public sliming of the president. You don’t do that to the office of president. Those aren’t his truly held beliefs that he votes on, so he should be booted. 

kat.jpg

5 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

I wouldn’t have any problem with it. What makes Romney so bad is he’s doing it out of spite for Trump, and his public sliming of the president. You don’t do that to the office of president. Those aren’t his truly held beliefs that he votes on, so he should be booted. 

If you don't like lack of decorum and 'sliming' on the part of elected officials, I have some disturbing examples to share with you regarding Trump's behavior towards women, women political leaders, brown folks from certain countries, injured veterans, soldiers captured or killed in action, and a few others. 

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Facts are gotcha attempts now? It was just narrowing that you singled out Israel, as if it’s unique. 

Good talking to you as always. 

32 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

If you don't like lack of decorum and 'sliming' on the part of elected officials, I have some disturbing examples to share with you regarding Trump's behavior towards women, women political leaders, brown folks from certain countries, injured veterans, soldiers captured or killed in action, and a few others. 

"Yeah I just wish Trump wouldn't be so gosh darn abrasive but I like his policies of lying about pandemics because stock market and hiring white supremacists to help with ideas on immigration."

39 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

Journalists, liberals, conservatives who disagree with him on an issue, European allies ....

48 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

That was one of the most disgusting displays of partisan politics by the Demorats I’ve ever seen. After that I came to understand how power hungry they are and they will do ANYTHING to regain that power. There is no room for playing fair or compromising with power hungry assholes. 

Guest #1Stunner

This is a political disaster for Democrats, and the temper tantrum, juvenile response to this could damage our country.

Looks like Trump will get a new Judge on the Court.

RBG is a moron...she should have retired under Obama, when she was 82.  She could have been replaced by a younger liberal Judge.  What an idiot.  Thanks Ruth.

Democrats can take solice in the fact that there are other nearly dead Judges on the Court.