Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

RBG has died

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That’s the point. We’re playing a game now where nobody can win.

Yet somehow both sides are locked in a death match. I’m not sure either side will trust the other enough to snap out of this and come together. We are headed for dissolution as a union and it’s gonna happen fast if both sides continue in this death match seeking total victory. 

1 minute ago, Danimaji said:

That didn't seem to be an issue during the 2016 election. Were you crying about it then? Was there not a SCOTUS opening? Suddenly it's imperative to fill? Give me a break.

The GOP held up a SCOTUS seat for 440+ days in 2016-2017, but now they're crying about the possibility of ties.

9 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I wonder if Reid's calculus was that the next guy was going to do this so if he didn't he'd be a sucker.

Considering the GOP at the time repeatedly asked him not to do it I’m guessing they wouldn’t have. 

I think Reid wanted a victory and didn’t care how he got it. 

3 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Yet somehow both sides are locked in a death match. I’m not sure either side will trust the other enough to snap out of this and come together. We are headed for dissolution as a union and it’s gonna happen fast if both sides continue in this death match seeking total victory. 

I don’t disagree, though I don’t think it’s imminent. But statesmen are in short supply at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

Considering the GOP at the time repeatedly asked him not to do it I’m guessing they wouldn’t have. 

I think Reid wanted a victory and didn’t care how he got it. 

If the gop/mconnel was better than Reid they would act like it, no matter whomever threw the first punch.

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Mcconnell should do whatever the rules allow. He's a pos hypocrite, but rules are rules.

Some day the Dems will control the Senate for a while and turnabout will be fair play.

Reminds me of Democrats recently arguing that it is "fair" for Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to censor and block conservative speech because "those guys are private companies" and that "private companies can set their own speech rules, so find some other venue to voice your thoughts, and don't bitch about it".  (Hard stance on rules when they work in their favor even though they knew it was not right and never fair).

Now we see Republicans using rules to their advantage (even though it should wait until the next President), and Democrats bitching.

I guess turnabout is fair play, like you said.  Both results are bad.

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The GOP held up a SCOTUS seat for 440+ days in 2016-2017, but now they're crying about the possibility of ties.

No you are missing the point. Suppose  the GOP doesn’t  have the votes so we leave the seat open until after the election. The results are contested and are argued in front the Supreme Court, but they can’t issue a decision because they are tied 4-4. WTF do you do then ? That’s a constitutional crises l? 

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

If the GOP rams through a SCOTUS pick before the election they will lose the White House, the Senate and lose more seats in the house.  It’ll be a blue tidal wave.  

And they will have learned that they need to add kill the filibuster, add DC and Puerto Rico, kill Citizens United, and expand the supreme court within the first month.  They should be under no illusions. 

Posted Image

Guest #1Stunner

This is a huge disaster for Democrats.

This issue might fire up.people to vote for Trump.

Wow.. Trump found his campaign issue.

What a shit show.

1 minute ago, bornontheblue said:

No you are missing the point. Suppose  the GOP doesn’t  have the votes so we leave the seat open until after the election. The results are contested and are argued in front the Supreme Court, but they can’t issue a decision because they are tied 4-4. WTF do you do then ? That’s a constitutional crises l? 

Can you not read? The same exact scenario could've happened in 2016 because there was a SCOTUS opening the GOP left vacant. You didn't complain about it then, so don't cry about it now

36 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This will be off the charts. 50 votes is questionable. 

I wouldn’t worry to much. The Republicans have nominated 70% to 80% of the justices. The 6-3 potential majority is an illusion. Roberts doesn’t want a bunch of drastic stuff happening. He can pull one of moderates to side with him and the 3 liberal justices. 

All this would do is halt further legislation from the Bench. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

Relax lefties. Trump and McConnell will do the exact same thing Schumer and Obama would have done in a similar situation.

So it's all good.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Just now, #1Stunner said:

This is a huge disaster for Democrats.

This issue might fire up.people to vote for Trump.

Wow.. Trump found his campaign issue.

What a shit show.

Democrats are seeing an enormous surge in fundraising already.

9 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Drama Reaction GIF

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, bornontheblue said:

Hindsight is always 20/20 

She had cancer and tons of health problems all through Obama.  She should have retired then.

Democrats built this notorious RBG persona.  She dead.

@Bob is thrilled.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Danimaji said:

Democrats are seeing an enormous surge in fundraising already.

And you don't think Republicans will as well?

This is huge for Trump.