Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

RBG has died

11 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Do you plan on explaining how you think abortions will remain legal in a wide swath of southern states? 

Roe V Wade isn't going to be overturned. But besides that my stance has always been it should be a state-by-state issue--if you want an abortion and kill the baby inside you easy and sleazy, you can make a trip to a state that looks kindly on that. imo,  If you want and if you get an abortion after 8-weeks you're a monster. and don't burden the discussion with "what if it was a rape baby or it threatened the life of the mother" these cases make up >1% of all abortions. 

Alabama has some of the toughest abortion laws in the country, but even their restrictions are extremely reasonable if you took the time to read them:

RESTRICTIONS ON ABORTION
In Alabama, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of September 1, 2020:

A patient must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage the patient from having an abortion, and then wait 48 hours before the procedure is provided.
Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
The use of telemedicine to administer medication abortion is prohibited.
The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion is provided.
Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
A patient must undergo an ultrasound before obtaining an abortion; the provider must offer the patient the option to view the image.
An abortion may be performed at 20 or more weeks postfertilization (22 weeks after the last menstrual period) only in cases of life endangerment or severely compromised physical health. This law is based on the assertion, which is inconsistent with scientific evidence and has been rejected by the medical community, that a fetus can feel pain at that point in pregnancy.
The state requires abortion clinics to meet unnecessary and burdensome standards related to their physical plant, equipment and staffing.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

42 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

The irony is the loss of RGB is going to be a big step back for the rights she championed. I’m not sure how many get that.  I told my conservative leaning sister that the loss of RBG would mean a return to back alley abortions and she responded “really”.   She had no idea.

How many states will outlaw abortion before 20 to 18 weeks. Few Americans support late term abortions. You are way over reacting. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

6 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Boggles my mind how the people most passionate about abortion (one way or the other) are men. You know the sex that it has zero effect on directly? 

This is between a woman, her doctor, and her priest if applicable. It's none of our damn business.

How many women are on this site. It doesn’t seem that way on Facebook. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

32 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You're an asshole. Try googling her instead of blindly repeating the Trumpian propaganda

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 minutes ago, robe said:

How many women are on this site. It doesn’t seem that way on Facebook. 

I try to stay away from the crazy politics on this site now, gets tiresome, but all the links I've seen to passionate views on the subject are all from male congressmen.

12 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Boggles my mind how the people most passionate about abortion (one way or the other) are men. You know the sex that it has zero effect on directly? 

This is between a woman, her doctor, and her priest if applicable. It's none of our damn business.

I would add the father in as well.

Americans Mayor

11 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I wish I hadn't looked at my facebook this morning, absolutely sickening.  My disappointment in my fellow countrymen grows.

Deleted Facebook a while back. It promotes so much hate and animosity .  I get enough of that here lol 

10 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

What does overturning abortion look like where you live, where your sister lives? Not that that is going to happen, only one of these justices were part of the deciding 5-4 decision on abortion and none of them have ever voted to make abortion constitutionally illegal. 

It doesn’t matter where I live.   That point is irrelevant to whether it returns.   

as for the current court make up Thomas and Alioto are on record for wanting to overturn Roe v Wade.   Kavanaugh’s position is also thought to be clear

https://www.reproductiverights.org/sites/crr.civicactions.net/files/documents/factsheets/Judge-Kavanaugh-Judicial-Record-on-the-Right-to-Abortion2.pdf

and the Louisiana decision to ban abortion by cutting off supply supports that point.  

Gorsuch also supported that decision and strongly agrees with deferring to state law but I agree he might not join the majority but given his records on states rights I wouldn’t bet my life on it.   

Just now, sactowndog said:

It doesn’t matter where I live.   That point is irrelevant to whether it returns.   

as for the current court make up Thomas and Alioto are on record for wanting to overturn Roe v Wade.   Kavanaugh’s position is also thought to be clear

https://www.reproductiverights.org/sites/crr.civicactions.net/files/documents/factsheets/Judge-Kavanaugh-Judicial-Record-on-the-Right-to-Abortion2.pdf

and the Louisiana decision to ban abortion by cutting off supply supports that point.  

Gorsuch also supported that decision and strongly agrees with deferring to state law but I agree he might not join the majority but given his records on states rights I wouldn’t bet my life on it.   

Roe is a dead letter. Casey is the deciding case. And yes, it matters very much where you live. You happy with California’s political stance on abortion? Because nothing the Supreme Court says can outlaw it there.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

9 minutes ago, robe said:

How many states will outlaw abortion before 20 to 18 weeks. Few Americans support late term abortions. You are way over reacting. 

See my response to the @thelawlorfaithful, I would expect a number in the south and a handful in the Midwest.  And no,  I don’t think I’m over reacting at all.  

39 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You're an asshole. Try googling her instead of blindly repeating the Trumpian propaganda.

She's such a terrible Justice that she literally shamed Congress into passing a law that she wrote a Minority Opinion on.

I'm sure glad I'm not going to your "heaven."

Americans Mayor

46 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

lol liberal fantasy. Not reality.

Also maybe just consider not getting an abortion (ya'know not murdering a life because it's inconvenient for you) or practicing safe sex you f*cking degenerates. 

You are truly a dick head to believe that you, a male, should have say over a womens uterus.

Americans Mayor

19 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Roe V Wade isn't going to be overturned. But besides that my stance has always been it should be a state-by-state issue--if you want an abortion and kill the baby inside you easy and sleazy, you can make a trip to a state that looks kindly on that. imo,  If you want and if you get an abortion after 8-weeks you're a monster. and don't burden the discussion with "what if it was a rape baby or it threatened the life of the mother" these cases make up >1% of all abortions. 

Alabama has some of the toughest abortion laws in the country, but even their restrictions are extremely reasonable if you took the time to read them:

RESTRICTIONS ON ABORTION
In Alabama, the following restrictions on abortion were in effect as of September 1, 2020:

A patient must receive state-directed counseling that includes information designed to discourage the patient from having an abortion, and then wait 48 hours before the procedure is provided.
Health plans offered in the state’s health exchange under the Affordable Care Act can only cover abortion in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
The use of telemedicine to administer medication abortion is prohibited.
The parent of a minor must consent before an abortion is provided.
Public funding is available for abortion only in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest.
A patient must undergo an ultrasound before obtaining an abortion; the provider must offer the patient the option to view the image.
An abortion may be performed at 20 or more weeks postfertilization (22 weeks after the last menstrual period) only in cases of life endangerment or severely compromised physical health. This law is based on the assertion, which is inconsistent with scientific evidence and has been rejected by the medical community, that a fetus can feel pain at that point in pregnancy.
The state requires abortion clinics to meet unnecessary and burdensome standards related to their physical plant, equipment and staffing.

Those are the current restrictions constrained by Roe v Wade.   Here is their latest passed law they hope will make it to the Supreme Court.....   tell me again how I am lying???

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Life_Protection_Act

The Human Life Protection Act, also known as House Bill 314 (HB 314) and the Alabama abortion ban,[4] is an Alabama statute enacted on May 15, 2019, that was set to impose a near-total ban on abortion in the state starting in November 2019, but a legal challenge against the bill has delayed implementation. The bill was passed in both chambers of the Alabama Legislature in a party-line vote and signed by Republican governor Kay Ivey. Under the Human Life Protection Act, a doctor who performs a banned abortion in the state of Alabama would be guilty of a Class A felony, and could be sentenced to life imprisonment. Several proposed amendments that would have allowed abortions in cases of rape and incest were rejected. The bill's sponsor, Republican representative Terri Collins, has stated that she hopes the law will lead to a legal challenge in which Roe v. Wade is overturned.

15 hours ago, Blue voodoo said:

Speaking of rotten taking the lord's name in vain

Talk about hypocrisy.

Dickheads just gotta dickhead.

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

That’s the way the game is played now. Trump didn’t start this either. Politics is no longer about noble discussions regarding policy aiming to make our country better. It’s about humiliating and standing over the other side  after their defeat. Unfortunate, but that is reality. 

But, we the voters have the option of punishing them for that. Unfortunately, we stand on our side and cheer them on.

Americans Mayor

26 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Well if I were a Doctor in a Republican State I would be equally concerned as you will be the targets having to prove a women’s life was at stake to the jury....

The Human Life Protection Act, also known as House Bill 314 (HB 314) and the Alabama abortion ban,[4] is an Alabama statute enacted on May 15, 2019, that was set to impose a near-total ban on abortion in the state starting in November 2019, but a legal challenge against the bill has delayed implementation. The bill was passed in both chambers of the Alabama Legislature in a party-line vote and signed by Republican governor Kay Ivey. Under the Human Life Protection Act, a doctor who performs a banned abortion in the state of Alabama would be guilty of a Class A felony, and could be sentenced to life imprisonment. Several proposed amendments that would have allowed abortions in cases of rape and incest were rejected. The bill's sponsor, Republican representative Terri Collins, has stated that she hopes the law will lead to a legal challenge in which Roe v. Wade is overturned.