Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

RBG has died

Not surprising to see McConnell saying they must fill the position immediately, while Obama now saying the appointment should wait until the election.

Hypocrites, all of them. What is politically expedient is more important than any principle.

1 minute ago, CV147 said:

Not surprising to see McConnell saying they must fill the position immediately, while Obama now saying the appointment should wait until the election.

Hypocrites, all of them. What is politically expedient is more important than any principle.

To be fair, it wasn’t Obama who drew that line and set the precedent.

Trump should nominate Merrick Garland. Then see what the Democrats have to say about whether a justice should be rushed through right now. He'd still get his third Supreme Court justice to add to his Presidential tally, and he could make them all look like hypocrites. Bonus points if McConnell decided to block it. 

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

To be fair, it wasn’t Obama who drew that line and set the precedent.

It's not just this. Everything the partisans do is OK for me and not for thee (nuclear option, debate rules, veto, etc). And then with a switch of administrations, we see people adopting the opposite principle. I hope others can see through this bullshit two-party charade.

2 minutes ago, CV147 said:

It's not just this. Everything the partisans do is OK for me and not for thee (nuclear option, veto, etc). And then with a switch of administrations, we see people adopting the opposite principle. I hope others can see through this bullshit two-party charade.

I’m in agreement on your main argument, to be sure. overall both parties have been +++++ing with the judicial nominating process for most of my life. 

44 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Facts are gotcha attempts now? It was just narrowing that you singled out Israel, as if it’s unique. 

Good talking to you as always. 

Dude, don't lie and play your little games. You look for any opening you can exploit with your gotcha game if you think I'm wrong about something. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Dude, don't lie and play your little games. You look for any opening you can exploit with your gotcha game if you think I'm wrong about something. 

You’re wrong about everything. Mostly I just call you an idiot, and already I’m regretting not taking the same approach this time.

26 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Trump should nominate Merrick Garland. Then see what the Democrats have to say about whether a justice should be rushed through right now. He'd still get his third Supreme Court justice to add to his Presidential tally, and he could make them all look like hypocrites. Bonus points if McConnell decided to block it. 

It was really a bad pick for Obama for several reasons. He was 63 when Obama nominated him, and that's probably only 15 to 20 years of service which is terrible. You want at least 30 to 40 years as ideal. Also, if he had picked the black woman on his list that was only about 40, the appearance that a white old establishment fart like Mitchy trying to deny a black woman her right to be a Supreme Court Justice could've put a shit ton more pressure on the GOP. But I respect Obama for not playing the race card to gain leverage in that situation. 

kat.jpg

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

You’re wrong about everything. Mostly I just call you an idiot, and already I’m regretting not taking the same approach this time.

Normally you call me an idiot. If you think I'm wrong about something, you'll try to nail me on it, and then call me an idiot. It's like clockwork, and I'm used to it. 

kat.jpg

55 minutes ago, CV147 said:

It's not just this. Everything the partisans do is OK for me and not for thee (nuclear option, veto, etc). And then with a switch of administrations, we see people adopting the opposite principle. I hope others can see through this bullshit two-party charade.

Yah, that's how it works.  It does make me more cynical as I get older.

16 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

You naive fool. The Democrats would do the same exact thing if they had a spot open up a few weeks before an election. It’s not pretty , but that is the way the game is played now. It’s been that way long before Trump became president. 

They haven't. This is totally a Moscow Mitch move.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

So thinking of the politics. From the Democratic side, are they better off accepting that they’re beat on this one? Sure, you make a big deal about McConnell’s hypocrisy, call out all the Republicans who said they wouldn’t stand for a nomination right before an election, and do the usual sad song about court polarization. But it seems as though they’d be better off in November if the Republicans ram this through before the election, taking the issue of a vacant SC spot off the table, and Dems fight the good fight and avoid the nonsense of the Kavanaugh spectacle.

Ultimately, Dems have to know they are powerless to stop this. Take the L and focus on 2020, right? Of course, that won’t happen. But politically, it’s the right play.

The irony is the loss of RGB is going to be a big step back for the rights she championed. I’m not sure how many get that.  I told my conservative leaning sister that the loss of RBG would mean a return to back alley abortions and she responded “really”.   She had no idea.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

No one’s death delights me. She believed in her convictions no matter how misguided they may have been. That’s admirable to a certain degree

I also respected and admired Ginsberg.  She was who she was and wasn't false about it and I greatly admired how she didn't let her personal feelings about an issue get in the way of working with the other justices.  
Somehow SCOTUS has still remained to keep themselves above the fray and they don't sit and call each other nasty names and grandstand against each other but instead put it in their legal opinions of what they think.  

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

This is a political disaster for Democrats, and the temper tantrum, juvenile response to this could damage our country.

Looks like Trump will get a new Judge on the Court.

RBG is a moron...she should have retired under Obama, when she was 82.  She could have been replaced by a younger liberal Judge.  What an idiot.  Thanks Ruth.

Democrats can take solice in the fact that there are other nearly dead Judges on the Court.

The next oldest judge is also a Democrat.