Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

RBG has died

RBG - may the good Judge rest in peace. 

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

Toonkee, you know I like you but this is silly. And for the record I don't think this will happen nor do I want it to. But if it did...

The right is full of veterans and people that think a great way to spend a Saturday is shooting guns at targets all day.

The left is full of people that think a great way to spend a Saturday is to shop at a Target all day.

It was a joke. Stunner is drunk on debate Delaware punch so I played along.

9 hours ago, tspoke said:

Yes you are right.. This is way worse than 2016 as the opening happened in February. But mitch has already said they will push one through... He doesn't care about being a hypocrite. 

Apparently Lisa murkowski said she won't vote to confirm this fall and so has Chuck Grassley... I think Susan Collins won't and Romney I could see not voting for it. 

It will be a fight. 

We can lose 3 and still confirm. Collins is far behind in her race, so her decision won’t matter politically. Surprisingly, Fox reported a quote from her right after the news broke saying to push forward with the nominee. So I don’t think she’s going to be a problem in doing a vote. However, she might object to certain candidates. If Romney obstructs, the Utah should just change his party affiliation as D, or Independent. The whole purpose of a party is to have common goals and act as a member of a party voting block most of the time. He just wants to piss off Trump. If Romney had had this kind of passion and assertiveness with Obama, he might have won in 2012. 

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Anyone who thinks Obama and Schumer wouldn't have done whatever they could to replace Scalia if the dems had the Senate is an idiot.

Exactly. And I get tired of the people that say it’s hypocritical, GOP has no honor, etc. Both parties play their hand to the fullest, period. I could make a list of situations where the Dems have pulled a fast one. One of my all time favorites was the HW Bush “Read my lips, No new taxes”. Then the Dems came to him asking him to put the country first and compromise on going with new taxes.  So he thought they were completely sincere and liked the idea of working together, so he agreed to moderate tax increases. Then during the election season, they did a 180 and actually used it against him. They had commercials with Bush saying “Read my lips, No new taxes” and then show him doing exactly that as he signed off on the new taxes. Totally uncool.

kat.jpg

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m sure they can find a day or two to cast a vote. 

That’s the broader senate. But members of the judicial committee, which includes a candidate for VP, and at least one senator who is fighting for his political life, will be in it for a much longer haul.

So thinking of the politics. From the Democratic side, are they better off accepting that they’re beat on this one? Sure, you make a big deal about McConnell’s hypocrisy, call out all the Republicans who said they wouldn’t stand for a nomination right before an election, and do the usual sad song about court polarization. But it seems as though they’d be better off in November if the Republicans ram this through before the election, taking the issue of a vacant SC spot off the table, and Dems fight the good fight and avoid the nonsense of the Kavanaugh spectacle.

Ultimately, Dems have to know they are powerless to stop this. Take the L and focus on 2020, right? Of course, that won’t happen. But politically, it’s the right play.

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The Trump enthusiasm isn’t gone but the resolute we must vote him out is strong on the other side.  I will use my son as an example.   He missed voting last election.  He will be in Croatia during this election but made sure before he left for Croatia that he had a way to vote.  My daughter and all her 26 year old friends are determined to vote.   

I would hate to be a pollster for this election.  It’s going to come down to turnout and who votes.  It’s going to be very hard to predict.  

I have to agree. I’m not confident Trump will win. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

We can lose 3 and still confirm. Collins is far behind in her race, so her decision won’t matter politically. Surprisingly, Fox reported a quote from her right after the news broke saying to push forward with the nominee. So I don’t think she’s going to be a problem in doing a vote. However, she might object to certain candidates. If Romney obstructs, the Utah should just change his party affiliation as D, or Independent. The whole purpose of a party is to have common goals and act as a member of a party voting block most of the time. He just wants to piss off Trump. If Romney had had this kind of passion and assertiveness with Obama, he might have won in 2012. 

The purpose of a party is to be a part of a group whose views you share. It doesn't mean that you should be a mindless rube and simply go along with what the majority wants. Members of Congress are elected to serve the interests of their Constituents, not the party, and not the President. 

Since I’ve ignored a few ass hole liberals. I have actually enjoyed posting this time. Thank  you for the class most of the Democrats have shown on this thread. Especially something as upsetting as this. As I said before I would be livid if I was a Democrat. 

8 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How about one of the Quarum of Twelve. That person should be conservative enough. And I’m sure they have the power to smite Romney down if he gets in the way. 

You would be surprised. President Benson offended the Democrats on the 12 all of the time. He toned it down when he became President. I’m not sure what the makeup is but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s close to 50/50. 

19 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

So thinking of the politics. From the Democratic side, are they better off accepting that they’re beat on this one? Sure, you make a big deal about McConnell’s hypocrisy, call out all the Republicans who said they wouldn’t stand for a nomination right before an election, and do the usual sad song about court polarization. But it seems as though they’d be better off in November if the Republicans ram this through before the election, taking the issue of a vacant SC spot off the table, and Dems fight the good fight and avoid the nonsense of the Kavanaugh spectacle.

Ultimately, Dems have to know they are powerless to stop this. Take the L and focus on 2020, right? Of course, that won’t happen. But politically, it’s the right play.

You need to motivate the base. This is a huge win for them. But I doubt it does much for the male minority vote though. They could care less. Trump has a chance to improve on this from 2016.  

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The purpose of a party is to be a part of a group whose views you share. It doesn't mean that you should be a mindless rube and simply go along with what the majority wants. Members of Congress are elected to serve the interests of their Constituents, not the party, and not the President. 

You highlighted it, but apparently didn’t see it. I didn’t say that you need to always vote as a party line, rather I said most of the time you do. If you don’t do it most of the time, then you don’t have enough in common with the party. Generally voting together as a block is what parties are for. Otherwise, everyone should just be independents. It’s interesting how they do it in Israel. They don’t have any really big parties. They have dozens and dozens of smaller parties, and then the parties shop around for partners for that election and try to build a voting block of many small parties. Sounds like a lot of work and chaos, but different strokes.  

kat.jpg