Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Trump Admin killed plan to have USPS send masks to all Americans

Because they didn’t want to cause a panic :rolleyes:.  

The White House scrapped a plan by the US Postal Service to send every American household a face mask in April, The Washington Post reported on Thursday, citing documents obtained through public-records requests. 

The Post obtained thousands of internal Postal Service documents that revealed previously unreported details of the agency's struggle to deal with the Trump administration's response to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The documents showed that in early April, after public-health experts began recommending face masks to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, some officials at the Department of Health and Human Services suggested that the Postal Service, an agency that delivers mail to the entire country, could be uniquely positioned to deliver packs of reusable masks to every American household. 

But the White House immediately put the kibosh on the idea when it caught wind of the plan, multiple Trump administration officials told The Post, with one official saying: "There was concern from some in the White House Domestic Policy Council and the office of the vice president that households receiving masks might create concern or panic."

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-blocked-usps-from-sending-face-masks-to-all-households-2020-9?amp&__twitter_impression=true

In an attempt to keep calm I believe the Trump administration has made things worse.  Downplaying the virus to not cause a panic.  Not sending masks to not cause a panic.  We can handle the truth and the administration should’ve been honest with the people from the start.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

47 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Any other place in America’s timeline and he’d be forced to resign.

Something tells me that if Trump had mailed you a mask you would have said the president was causing unnecessary panic and should resign lol 

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-blocked-usps-from-sending-face-masks-to-all-households-2020-9?amp&__twitter_impression=true

In an attempt to keep calm I believe the Trump administration has made things worse.  Downplaying the virus to not cause a panic.  Not sending masks to not cause a panic.  We can handle the truth and the administration should’ve been honest with the people from the start.  

Weren't Fauci and the rest telling us not to use masks in April?

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Weren't Fauci and the rest telling us not to use masks in April?

That was March 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That was March 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-offer-conflicting-advice-masks-expert-tells-us/story?id=70958380

Let's do a little refresher course on masks during Coronavirus for you.

You are correct that the CDC changed from no masks to masks may be somewhat helpful in April.  Not sure exactly when in April.  And it was far less unambiguous that Redfields crazy assertions about how effective masks are now.  It was very hazy in april regarding masks.  I remember having to wear them in SoCal, but not in Visalia.  And as the link shows, the WHO wasn't pushing masks as late as the end of May.

They were dying thousands a day in NYC at this time, you think Trump thought he could hide Coronavirus by not sending out a mask in the mail?  Please.

Of all the things to criticize him for,  you choose this silly thing?

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Also why police hold on to videos until forced where they +++++ed up which takes months if ever, but we can all watch a justified cop shooting before the body gets cold.

Public safety.

2 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-offer-conflicting-advice-masks-expert-tells-us/story?id=70958380

You are correct that the CDC changed from no masks to masks may be somewhat helpful in April.  Not sure exactly when in April.  And it was far less unambiguous that Redfields crazy assertions about how effective masks are now.  It was very hazy in april regarding masks.  I remember having to wear them in SoCal, but not in Visalia.  And as the link shows, the WHO wasn't pushing masks as late as the end of May.

They were dying thousands a day in NYC at this time, you think Trump thought he could hide Coronavirus by not sending out a mask in the mail?  Please.

Oh there’s plenty to criticize Trump about.  This is just something I happened to see I wanted to post here. 

8 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

It also could have looked like a positive for USPS which doesn't fit one of his narratives.  Or, and more likely, it was a nothing burger line item on a daily budget report.  Maybe a little of all, plus more?

11 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Did you think this is the first and only thing Mug has criticized Trump for? 

55 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

Something tells me that if Trump had mailed you a mask you would have said the president was causing unnecessary panic and should resign lol 

People were already panicking in April. Do you not remember how hard it was to find toilet paper? Trump only cares about people panicking when he thinks it will harm his reelection. If Trump cared about maintaining calm, he wouldn't make such outlandish claims. Instead, he tells people that Biden will abolish the suburbs

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

Sadly, nothing surprises me about the Drumpf administration. :(

4 hours ago, mugtang said:

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

1. Business Insider is a left leaning/spinning site, and they left out some major details.

2. At that time, masks were being discouraged from being used by Fauci, WHO, UN, etc. because all the masks should go to front line workers, dentists, people that have it, etc.

3. There was also info. being spread by places like the WHO that there wasn’t any evidence that wearing a mask could protect you against Covid. 

“The United Nations public health agency previously recommended in early April only healthcare workers, those infected with the coronavirus and their caregivers should wear medical masks. WHO at the time said the use of medical masks among the general public could create a false sense of security and cause people to ignore social distancing measures and hygiene practices. The agency said another concern was people may contaminate themselves by touching their face more frequently when they adjust, remove and dispose of their masks. Medical mask supplies were also needed by medical professionals overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic. 

“There is currently no evidence that wearing a mask (whether medical or other types) by healthy persons in the wider community setting, including universal community masking, can prevent them from infection with respiratory viruses, including COVID-19,” WHO’s early April recommendation stated. 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/491725-who-no-evidence-wearing-a-mask-can-protect

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, CPslograd said:

These are ‘close to election’ strategized cheap shots that are incredibly obvious.  Why wasn’t it brought back then? Because it wouldn’t have made sense for Trump to do with the news we were hearing then. But after 6 months of crazy, they can bring it up now and trick people because they forget what was in the news at that moment. I don’t trust any trash this close to an election, and there’s probably 10+ more manufactured negative Trumps stories that will hit the press in the next 40 days.

kat.jpg

Why should the federal government provide masks?  I don’t know about other states but Utah has had a program in place to offer free masks to folks that need or want them for several months now.  

Besides, there is a bit of revisionist history going on here as masks were not considered the end all be all in April that they are today (as has already been demonstrated in this thread).

v0icAvfW.jpg

7 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Why should the federal government provide masks?  I don’t know about other states but Utah has had a program in place to offer free masks to folks that need or want them for several months now.  

Besides, there is a bit of revisionist history going on here as masks were not considered the end all be all in April that they are today (as has already been demonstrated in this thread).

Peer-reviewed evidence started emerging in favor of masks. Regardless, Trump continues holding rallies without social distancing or mask requirements. As more information comes in, Trump keeps the same outdated views

16 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Also why police hold on to videos until forced where they +++++ed up which takes months if ever, but we can all watch a justified cop shooting before the body gets cold.

Public safety.

It’s obviously because they know they’re legally exposed and they want to investigate and determine how bad they’re exposed, and then the lawyers they bring in to determine a legal strategy takes time. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

They didn't have millions and millions of masks to send to everyone back in March or April.  There was a shortage and they also wanted to ensure masks were given to hospitals.  

It was very difficult getting a mask in late March early April. I doubt the government had access to enough masks for even 25% of our population. Then who do you decide gets a mask? The other 75% would be livid. 

This is another election cycle nothing burger.