Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

If Biden is Elected

26 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I would agree.  I was more referring to your Biden “do nothing” comments.   The President is and should be limited by Congress. 

I don’t disagree, I wasn’t advocating for executive actions. 

Taxes will go higher
More gov't regulation - restricts business, adds costs,
US Energy sector diminished but no restrictions on oil imports
Terse relations with Israel - instead of peace in the Middle East will resort back to Obama era wars
Less freedoms using the pandemic as their reason
Most tariffs removed with not add'l restrictions on China
Iran taken off sanctions
Border patrols eased, much less deportation of illegals
Whatever gun legislation that gets thru congress will pass
States will have more power to have stricter gun controls
Energy prices to rise with more restrictions on fossil fuels
Additional items such as 401k restrictions and suburban housing changes (more taxes)

All in all, I don't see anything that would help working taxpaying US citizens. 

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

Besides the fact that most of our allies are in it, why would we re-enter the Paris Climate Accord? 

To me it's the same as being in and backing NATO. People like Steve Bannon who swear by American Exceptualism think we can and should just tell the rest of the world how things are going to be and if they disagree, tariff the hell out of them until they comply. Personally, even if I were to buy that exceptualism hooey, I would still think we should desist from the arrogance and try to be a good partner with other democratic nations of the world.

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Besides the fact that most of our allies are in it, why would we re-enter the Paris Climate Accord? 

Isn't this reason enough? What are the arguments for not being a part of it?

It's really an aspirational agreement that improves ties with our closest allies.

36 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

To me it's the same as being in and backing NATO. People like Steve Bannon who swear by American Exceptualism think we can and should just tell the rest of the world how things are going to be and if they disagree, tariff the hell out of them until they comply. Personally, even if I were to buy that exceptualism hooey, I would still think we should desist from the arrogance and try to be a good partner with other democratic nations of the world.

Tariffs have nothing to do with the American Exceptionalism.  Tariffs have to do with China actively subsidizing companies ,  as well as china and europe taxing us goods and making it difficult to sell us goods there.
 Also being a good partner means your partner being good back, it doesn't mean you flick the bill for everything.   

4 hours ago, pokerider said:

Taxes will go higher
More gov't regulation - restricts business, adds costs,
US Energy sector diminished but no restrictions on oil imports
Terse relations with Israel - instead of peace in the Middle East will resort back to Obama era wars
Less freedoms using the pandemic as their reason
Most tariffs removed with not add'l restrictions on China
Iran taken off sanctions
Border patrols eased, much less deportation of illegals
Whatever gun legislation that gets thru congress will pass
States will have more power to have stricter gun controls
Energy prices to rise with more restrictions on fossil fuels
Additional items such as 401k restrictions and suburban housing changes (more taxes)

I thought @soupslam1 requested an honest discussion.  

Things will be fine. I assume he will stay a moderate. It looks like he gets at least a 50/50 senate. Hot seat Democrats know 2022 will be a difficult election so they won’t do anything extreme. I think someone said the  cycle favors the Dems in 2022 but historically the new President loses the midterm. House probably flips back Republican. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

9 hours ago, pokerider said:

Taxes will go higher - perhaps if the filibuster is killed but otherwise no. I would say the McConnell RBG crap increases the chances.  Also most tax cuts did not affect the middle class so for most taxes won’t go higher.

More gov't regulation - restricts business, adds costs,  Some

US Energy sector diminished but no restrictions on oil imports  Coal yes Solar no.  Remember we got energy independence under Obama 

Terse relations with Israel - instead of peace in the Middle East will resort back to Obama era wars We haven’t had peace in years.  

Less freedoms using the pandemic as their reason Masks aren’t an infringement on freedom any more than women not going topless 

Most tariffs removed with not add'l restrictions on China. Doubt it.  Trump has changed the China narrative

Iran taken off sanctions perhaps 

Border patrols eased, much less deportation of illegals  Obama actually deported huge amounts of illegals.  You may see real imiigration reform which if you know anyone who has dealt with INS is a good thing 

Whatever gun legislation that gets thru congress will pass None will get through unless via a reaction to Ginsburg ends the Filibuster 

States will have more power to have stricter gun controls How? more lawsuits to a reactive Supreme Court will end even reasonable controls 

Energy prices to rise with more restrictions on fossil fuels. Except fuel restrictions on cars has actually reduced demand and lowered prices.  

Additional items such as 401k restrictions and suburban housing changes (more taxes) nothing Trump has done is permanent and won’t be changed in these areas 

the deficit will be reduced which helps us all 

See comments.  

11 hours ago, sactowndog said:

See comments.  

When I said less freedoms, I damn sure wasn't talking about having to wear a mask.  I'm talking about your small business not being allowed to operate, or your not being allowed to work period due to gov't telling you.  But most your comments have very little bearing.  But its obvious that what you would like to see is a return to the previous status quo,  which imo, didn't really help anyone who works and pays taxes. 

14 minutes ago, pokerider said:

When I said less freedoms, I damn sure wasn't talking about having to wear a mask.  I'm talking about your small business not being allowed to operate, or your not being allowed to work period due to gov't telling you.  But most your comments have very little bearing.  But its obvious that what you would like to see is a return to the previous status quo,  which imo, didn't really help anyone who works and pays taxes. 

What if he wants a return to a less inflammatory man-in-a-suit so the country isn't encouraged to fight amongst each other?  We are dealing with the most divisive president in our time, and people are tired of it.

18 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

What if he wants a return to a less inflammatory man-in-a-suit so the country isn't encouraged to fight amongst each other?  We are dealing with the most divisive president in our time, and people are tired of it.

I think a lot of people would like a return to that however I don’t think everybody wants a return to some of the policies that sucked also.  It’d be awesome if we had a nominee who didn’t totally suck!  But.....

21 hours ago, pokerider said:

Actually if you believe that you pay very little attention to what I post.   Just to remind you I have long advocated:

1) eliminating the corporate income tax

2) setting capital gains taxes equal to tiered income tax rates

3) replacing tariffs with a cash export tax (cash gained from US operations and US investments minus cash spent on US operations and US investments). 

I can be reasonably be called lots of things but a defender of the status quo isn’t one of them.   But I have also spent time in Congress and know the challenges of getting 1 bill through much less the long list you posted.