Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soupslam1

If Biden is Elected

If I had to guess...

• Passage of the Voting Rights Act
  • Rejoining the Paris Climate Accords
  • Implementation of a public healthcare option
  • An infrastructure deal, likely tied with elements of the "Green New Deal" (I don't think they'll outlaw cows, don't worry)
  • Additional Criminal Justice reform beyond the First Step Act
  • Rollback of part of the Trump tax cuts
  • Gun reform, probably in the form of a new assault weapons ban not unlike what we saw in the 90s
  • Negotiation of a new TPP to combat China with our Pacific allies
  • Ending the family separation policy at the border
  • Immigration reform, involving DACA recipients being granted citizenship and a pathway to at least legal residence granted to illegal immigrants

There's probably a lot more... some good, and some bad, but that's what comes to mind. 

Stop border wall construction.  Biden said he would not continue building the southern border wall by one inch, but he also said he wouldn't tear it down either.  Harris absolutely will tear down the border wall

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/510896-biden-says-he-would-stop-border-wall-construction-as-president

Undermine the Israel-UAE-Bahrain peace deal.  I don't think Biden or Harris are exactly friendly towards Israel.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

If I had to guess...

• An infrastructure deal, likely tied with elements of the "Green New Deal" (I don't think they'll outlaw cows, don't worry)
  • Gun reform, probably in the form of a new assault weapons ban not unlike what we saw in the 90s
  • Immigration reform, involving DACA recipients being granted citizenship and a pathway to at least legal residence granted to illegal immigrants

There's probably a lot more... some good, and some bad, but that's what comes to mind. 

I’m guessing they only hold the Senate for 2 years max.   You might want to cut back your list some.   It will also depend what happens with the filibuster for legislation as none of the above gets passed if the legislative Filibuster is in place.  

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Stop border wall construction.  Biden said he would not continue building the southern border wall by one inch, but he also said he wouldn't tear it down either.  Harris absolutely will tear down the border wall

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/510896-biden-says-he-would-stop-border-wall-construction-as-president

Undermine the Israel-UAE-Bahrain peace deal.  I don't think Biden or Harris are exactly friendly towards Israel.

What can he do to undermine the peace deal.. The whole thing seems like a joke to me anyways. Like negotiating a peace deal between Morocco and Luxembourg.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

Border wall construction is an executive order using emergency funding.   It will be cut day 1.    

The interesting question is what do they do if anything about the Dreamers.  I think a public option for Medicare and Climate Change are higher priorities.  But the impact of Trump’s actions may move it up the priority list.  

7 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

What can he do to undermine the peace deal.. The whole thing seems like a joke to me anyways. Like negotiating a peace deal between Morocco and Luxembourg.

Even if it's just UAE and Bahrain, that's two fewer Arab nations to gang up on Israel.  Egypt and I think Jordan have also established formal relations.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

If I had to guess...

Of your list I would expect we would via executive action rejoin the Paris Climate Accords.   

After that it would be a hard push for what is priority 1 and 2.  I think Biden would prefer a public option and climate change.  But pressure for immigration reform and criminal justice reform will be huge.   

the only way they possibly get more than 2 is eliminating the filibuster.   I don’t think Senators will give up that power.  

8 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Even if it's just UAE and Bahrain, that's two fewer Arab nations to gang up on Israel.  Egypt and I think Jordan have also established formal relations.

Both deals negotiated under Democratic presidents. neither party is anti-Israel. But not being anti-Palestinian complicates matters.

The smartest thing he could do for the Democratic Party would be to bulldoze through statehood for D.C. The next smartest thing he could do next would be to have Puerto Rico hold a binding referendum on their political status, with Independence, free association, and statehood as the options. After that, whatever. The GOP plays for keeps, like they did with the Supreme Court seat in 16. The Democrats need to find their balls and do the same. 

7 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Both deals negotiated under Democratic presidents. neither party is anti-Israel. But not being anti-Palestinian complicates matters.

Those two with Egypt and Jordan, yes.  UAE and Bahrain was Trump.

3 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah my guess is they would move the embassy out of Jerusalem .  Most of what Trump has done has been done via executive order and therefore easily over turned.   The only thing he passed is eliminating the estate tax for his kids.

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

The smartest thing he could do for the Democratic Party would be to bulldoze through statehood for D.C. The next smartest thing he could do next would be to have Puerto Rico hold a binding referendum on their political status, with Independence, free association, and statehood as the options. After that, whatever. The GOP plays for keeps, like they did with the Supreme Court seat in 16. The Democrats need to find their balls and do the same. 

Definitely not happening without eliminating the Filibuster. 

12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Move eliminating the filibuster to the top of the list then. Then D.C. statehood. Then Puerto Rico binding referendum. 

I have mixed thoughts about removing the filibuster.  If it were used appropriately the filibuster is an important tool to insure all perspectives are considered.   Sadly, the filibuster has been used by industry to buy off a set of Senators on the cheap and block legislation.  Eliminating the filibuster would reduce the power of K street. 

if you eliminate the filibuster it will come back and be used against you so I would think about it carefully.