Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Criticism of Netflix "Cuties" is now right wing, QANON, racist, sexist BS?

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

No, but if someone makes a documentary about murdering puppies, you'd have to see the documentary to have an informed opinion about the documentary.

Did you even read my post? Because that was the entire bloody point of it, innit?

No, I think an informed opinion can be formed from reading reviews and talking to people who have watched it.  In fact, this is how most informed opinions are formed.  

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It's disgusting. I don't understand howTF a parent could do that to their kids.

Oh, wait... I remember now. We're a narcissistically self-absorbed culture obsessed with such banalities as taking selfies with f*cking food and #posting on social media. That's why.

Agree 100%.

Plus, it is disturbing just how much social media is encouraging narcissim.  

Are people living for, and enjoying the moment, or are they trying to create a story board with their camera and video, to get likes on social media?   It is trending worse...

Only food that I ever found worth sharing on social media was HODAD's, and that is self-explanatory (those Burgers are a religious experience). 

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It's disgusting. I don't understand howTF a parent could do that to their kids.

Oh, wait... I remember now. We're a narcissistically self-absorbed culture obsessed with such banalities as taking selfies with f*cking food and #posting on social media. That's why.

Some of us must be from a different time, because I agree with your take on a portion of this culture, but reject much of it.  It would explain why I was listening to a lot of Motown when I was in my teens when everyone was listening to strictly hip-hop and Kid Rock/Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park  :oldman:

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, AndroidAggie said:

ted cruz is a dope, tho

The beard somehow changed my view of Ted Cruz, and I'm not sure how.

He was a major asshole back in 2016...  then he grew the beard, and I now view him as just sort of an asshole. 

Just now, #1Stunner said:

He was a major asshole back in 2016...  then he grew the beard, and I now view him as just sort of an asshole. 

hiding that soft ass baby fat chin

9 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I also find it interesting that this is a hot topic within "altright" and/or conservative circles when I don't seem to recall similar protestations about such preexisting tripe like "Toddlers and Tiaras" that has been part of our cultural landscape for over a decade.

9 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

"Toddlers in Tiaras" ran for like 8 seasons on TLC. 

Happiness is a comedy with a scene where a boy is molested. 

Little Miss Sunshine has a scene where a little girl does a strip tease. 

I don't see Ted Cruz writing letters to the DOJ about those. 

I think Epstein changed things.  Cuties dropped during a time when outrage over child trafficking and exploitation was forefront of the zeitgeist.  

Just now, #1Stunner said:

i can sympathize with that.  he was on a power trip back in 2016 after leading all those republican senate led filibusters in the final years of obama's 2nd term.  it's possible he's cooled off.  but imo he's a real piece of work.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, AndroidAggie said:

i can sympathize with that.  he was on a power trip back in 2016 after leading all those republican senate led filibusters in the final years of obama's 2nd term.  it's possible he's cooled off.  but imo he's a real piece of work.

I really couldn't stand the guy.  Seemed like he'd do anything to get elected. 

Then I found myself feeling sorry for him.  Remember when Trump called his wife ugly (unfairly posted an unflattering picture), and accused his dad of being in league with Castro, and part of the group that assassinated JFK?

No worse feeling than feeling sympathetic toward Ted Cruz. 

16 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is my problem.  Was there a segment of the population that was on the fence about this, that the documentary was trying to reach?  No.  So how do you justify, literally sexualizing children for shock value as being justified?  

I have not seen the movie and I am not speaking for the movie here. The only think I can think of is that people do understand sexualizing children is bad, but don't realize how much children are actually sexualized, because it's at least somewhat normalized in our culture and practices. Maybe the intent was to shock above the normalization level to wake the viewer up to the normalization.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I think Epstein changed things.  Cuties dropped during a time when outrage over child trafficking and exploitation was forefront of the zeitgeist.  

It had already been simmering among the alt-right since the whole pizzagate and other crazy conspiracies started prior to the 2016 election. 

6 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Well, the outrage over child trafficking and exploitation is also being used right now as a reason to exercise state power against way more people who are not in the business of child trafficking and exploitation than people who are in that business. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

It had already been simmering among the alt-right since the whole pizzagate and other crazy conspiracies started prior to the 2016 election. 

Outrage over the movie is not an "alt right" position, though.  For a few beautiful days on the internet, EVERYBODY, agreed this movie was messed up.  Then it somehow became political.  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Very true.  Which isn't bad, as awareness is extremely important.  Ashton Kutcher has been on this for around a decade but because he was Hollywood, it was sort of dismissed by a large portion of the country.  Hopefully that changes and more people continue to give its fair shake like they are now, and not only caring because of politico.  It already was frustrating with all of these stories of children being saved, because I am thinking, "Why wasn't this been happening or been shared before?  Did we just start caring about this, what have you all been doing?"

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Well, the outrage over child trafficking and exploitation is also being used right now as a reason to exercise state power against way more people who are not in the business of child trafficking and exploitation than people who are in that business. 

Seems like a topic worthy of it's own thread.  

I was simply giving my best guess as to the "why" in your question.  I don't think a show like Toddlers in Tiaras would fly in 2020 if it tried to launch.  

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Outrage over the movie is not an "alt right" position, though.  For a few beautiful days on the internet, EVERYBODY, agreed this movie was messed up.  Then it somehow became political.  

I'm not saying that it is. I'm saying that it had already been simmering on that side of the aisle, so it really had less to do with Epstein there.

17 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Then where is Ted Cruz's outrage over Trump's well-established, longstanding ties to Epstein or his never ending well of well-wishes for Ghislaine Maxwell?

There is no underlying consistency behind the outrage; it wreaks of cultural war mongering.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg