Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndroidAggie

programming tutoring

if any of y'all want to get into programming, hit me up.  we can video chat and i can walk you through the basics of programming or maybe even a little more if that floats your boat.  ditty to anyone else in your network who wants to learn.  i've mentored a few coding bootcamp grads and they even got jobs based on the advice i gave them and the content we went over in our video chat sessions directly contributed to interview content where they were able to accurately talk shop with the new company.

Guest #1Stunner
3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

if any of y'all want to get into programming, hit me up.  we can video chat and i can walk you through the basics of programming or maybe even a little more if that floats your boat.  ditty to anyone else in your network who wants to learn.  i've mentored a few coding bootcamp grads and they even got jobs based on the advice i gave them and the content we went over in our video chat sessions directly contributed to interview content where they were able to accurately talk shop with the new company.

Learn to Code.

5 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

What languages?  I've been wanting to learn Python (for Dynamo) and have lots of resources to do so (Lynda, EDX, etc.) - but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Guest #1Stunner
32 minutes ago, Bob said:

When should my kids learn this  shit stuff? It's apparently as essential as learning to read and write English

They will learn in school. 

14 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

What languages?  I've been wanting to learn Python (for Dynamo) and have lots of resources to do so (Lynda, EDX, etc.) - but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Oof, Python. It drives me insane when I have to work in it.

6 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

I used to code when I was a kid just for fun, but just C++ and Java, and even then nothing more than the basics. It's not really in my career path, but if I did go the infomatics route after I got too old to do my real job knowing some of this would probably help. Which languages should I concentrate on if I was looking to maybe use these skills in 10-15 years?

56 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

python, C++, javascript (es6), postgres, elasticsearch, cloud stuff, kubernetes, linux

23 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

I used to code when I was a kid just for fun, but just C++ and Java, and even then nothing more than the basics. It's not really in my career path, but if I did go the infomatics route after I got too old to do my real job knowing some of this would probably help. Which languages should I concentrate on if I was looking to maybe use these skills in 10-15 years?

it depends on what your end goal is.  do you know what kind of programming you want to do? 

1 hour ago, Bob said:

When should my kids learn this  shit stuff? It's apparently as essential as learning to read and write English

4th grade ish.

they need to get the basics of logic, numbers, and be able to abstract a task into a set of repeatable instructions

50 minutes ago, Los_Aztecas said:

If you were going informations/analytics, then R and Python are your best bets. 

24 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

4th grade ish.

they need to get the basics of logic, numbers, and be able to abstract a task into a set of repeatable instructions

Yep, my kids started with logic basics in 1st grade, and are doing some intro programming logic stuff in 4th grade now.

5 hours ago, Bob said:

I don't know.  I'm in IT, the stories of us needing more STEM is somewhat of a lie.  It's not that we don't have enough programmers, it's that business don't want to keep paying the high'ish salaries for us that they are doing.   Similarly all of the people calling themselves programmers now have also increased the number of bad coders out there.

Also, I think it's hard to predict the future--just like we have a generation of millenials who took their parents' advice and went to college for 4 years of useless degrees, I can totally see that happening to the next generation of STEM professionals, especially as developing applications and doing IT stuff get quicker and easier.

I know how to write naughty words on my calculator. I think I'm good. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, AndroidAggie said:

I don't plan on doing any programming,.

I do want to become more proficient at using Microsoft Office products, specifically Word ( lawsuits) and Excel ( I got into it by making schedules for my kids and want to learn more.)

When I first started college, I went from hack level typing skills to 80 wpm thanks to the keyboarding lab, looking for the same kind of evolution for Word and Excel, via an in home solution, if possible.

Any pointers in the right direction, or away from the wrong direction, are appreciated

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

1 hour ago, Maynard Delecto said:

I don't plan on doing any programming,.

I do want to become more proficient at using Microsoft Office products, specifically Word ( lawsuits) and Excel ( I got into it by making schedules for my kids and want to learn more.)

When I first started college, I went from hack level typing skills to 80 wpm thanks to the keyboarding lab, looking for the same kind of evolution for Word and Excel, via an in home solution, if possible.

Any pointers in the right direction, or away from the wrong direction, are appreciated

oh man i seriously wish i could help you out.  i'm actually not that great with office products.  i have seem some black magic wizardry with excel in the financial tech sector, but it's not my bag.

Just now, Maynard Delecto said:

Did you get that hardware from Rockler?

yep, ordered.  just need to finish off the backyard projects (retaining wall, petanque court, sod, 2 french drains, 2 dry creek beds, and a doo doo load of mulch everywhere) and then i will start sourcing the hardwood.  then i need to build my table saw jigs to get things nice and square before i start building head and foot boards.  i'll probably be done this winter.