Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

MWC Looking to play this fall

4 hours ago, Ibanez said:

The problem with the MWC schools and their fans is this:.They think it's Hairs fault where their programs are. That's simply not true. Hair is a mouthpiece. That's it.

I'm gonna call out two schools. New Mexico and UNLV. You all should be ashamed at where your programs are at. UNLV should be right up there with Houston, UCLA, Cincinnati, UCF... big city, famous city, and you're not worth a +++++. As for New Mexico, the school in the MWC who thinks they are and have been a college hoops power? Can't even get 12,000 fans in the stands on football? As much as they hate their so-called little sister, an argument could be made the Aggies are the better FBS school on basketball and football over the last 5 years. Glass houses and shit.

Agreed.  Although UNM ain't no hoops power.  The coliseum UNM basketball plays in I hear used to be cool but I guess it has lost it's luster because it looks run down and outdated-like their football stadium.1511382A-EF25-46C1-AD7C-1A3A774C1992.jpeg.9ad09c884d9fcc23f6e7873617550429.jpeg

On 9/16/2020 at 11:00 PM, Headbutt said:

Has to be .  It can't be enticing to go play there, imagine having to practice.  It's actually dangerous right now.

It was just that (dangerous) in San Jose only 3-4 days ago, so not exactly a huge difference. Prior to that, it had been really schitty air quality (from the fires) for weeks straight...

3 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

What could have been if the MW wasn’t scared to play.

App St at Marshall will be on CBS OTA.  Could have been a MW game.

I’m sure this will put the Sun Belt and CUSA on the fast track to power conference status.

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I’m sure this will put the Sun Belt and CUSA on the fast track to power conference status.

Maybe not P5 status but it will be interesting to see how all this affects recruiting.  

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

It's esy to laugh now, but this is exactly how those conferences catch up. The Mountain West by not playing puts every school in more debt. This in turn means every school can't buy out coaches as they need to when their schools start performing badly. It means the conference schools keep bad coaches for longer. It means the conference schools can't afford new coaches for longer.  The conference schools can't increase their budget for assistant coaches. The conference schools can't increase their budget for recruiting. The conference schools can't do facility upgrades for longer. The lack of TV appearances, and appearances in polls and in bowls, means it will hurt recruiting. There will probably be some losses on head to head battles on recruiting to those conferences in the coming years.

So it's easy to laugh now but if the mountain west doesn't play in the fall or the spring, three or four years from now everybody's going to be questioning why these other conferences caught up to the mountain west and we are even further behind the AAC and p5, and it is simply because the Mountain West did a voluntary death penalty for all of its schools on one season when all the other conferences were playing. Look back at what happened after SMU had the death penalty and how long it took them to recover.

1 hour ago, WyomingAg said:

It's esy to laugh now, but this is exactly how those conferences catch up. The Mountain West by not playing puts every school in more debt. This in turn means every school can't buy out coaches as they need to when their schools start performing badly. It means the conference schools keep bad coaches for longer. It means the conference schools can't afford new coaches for longer.  The conference schools can't increase their budget for assistant coaches. The conference schools can't increase their budget for recruiting. The conference schools can't do facility upgrades for longer. The lack of TV appearances, and appearances in polls and in bowls, means it will hurt recruiting. There will probably be some losses on head to head battles on recruiting to those conferences in the coming years.

So it's easy to laugh now but if the mountain west doesn't play in the fall or the spring, three or four years from now everybody's going to be questioning why these other conferences caught up to the mountain west and we are even further behind the AAC and p5, and it is simply because the Mountain West did a voluntary death penalty for all of its schools on one season when all the other conferences were playing. Look back at what happened after SMU had the death penalty and how long it took them to recover.

Just how big a gap top to bottom do you think exists now between Sun Belt and MWC?  I would say not much.  Both are G5 conferences.  Both are locked out of the playoffs because the P5 set it up this way.  Both play at obscure times on television whenever a time slot needs to be filled.  And with the exceptions of the top team making a big run,  they are followed regionally with little national attention.  It is what it is.  I follow mid major sports out west like other fans on this board.  I simply don't see the kind of gap that is implied above with Sun Belt.  Just look at what the Sun Belt did against the B12 this year, including knocking off a top 25 team.  I can see the argument made in D1 basketball for being a much better conference, but not in FBS football.  

It doesn't mean the same in this crazy fall of sports, but App State and Louisiana are both ranked in top 25.

1 hour ago, WyomingAg said:

So it's easy to laugh now but if the mountain west doesn't play in the fall or the spring, three or four years from now everybody's going to be questioning why these other conferences caught up to the mountain west and we are even further behind the AAC and p5, and it is simply because the Mountain West did a voluntary death penalty for all of its schools on one season when all the other conferences were playing. 

I'd say the damage has already been done.  

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Just how big a gap top to bottom do you think exists now between Sun Belt and MWC?  I would say not much.  Both are G5 conferences.  Both are locked out of the playoffs because the P5 set it up this way.  Both play at obscure times on television whenever a time slot needs to be filled.  And with the exceptions of the top team making a big run,  they are followed regionally with little national attention.  It is what it is.  I follow mid major sports out west like other fans on this board.  I simply don't see the kind of gap that is implied above with Sun Belt.  Just look at what the Sun Belt did against the B12 this year, including knocking off a top 25 team.  I can see the argument made in D1 basketball for being a much better conference, but not in FBS football.  

It doesn't mean the same in this crazy fall of sports, but App State and Louisiana are both ranked in top 25.

The argument applies to basketball too. Where do you think the mountain West schools get their money for basketball coaches, basketball assistant coaches, basketball recruiting? Not playing football affects the entire athletic departments of the Mountain West and all sports. Or are you arguing that somehow not playing football helps us stay ahead/even with the other conferences?  

There was a time that the mountain west was ahead of the AAC in terms of being closer to the p5, getting the access bowls, etc. Do we think that not playing football while they are and pretty much guaranteeing them the access bowl again this year is somehow helping our conference?

Just now, azinco said:

I'd say the damage has already been done.  

I don't disagree except that by still salvaging at least some fall season means there is some of the new TV contract money vs none at all.  

Also look toward next fall. Are our teams better positioned to compete next fall having not played in 2 years or are they better positioned having at least played some this year? With the assumption that there's a normal season next year, all the other conferences will have had a fall season and a spring football. And the Mountain West is staring down the barrel of having neither. I would expect we would lose far more non-conference games next year if all our players have not played in two years

On 9/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, SpartanDude said:

I've seen pictures of our players working out (with proper spacing of course) at the school facilities, so at the very least some of them are back.  And with a MWC resumption announcement soon an Oct 19 first game date should give the teams enough time to get ready. 

That would be roughly the time that teams have for fall practice under normal circumstances, isn't it?  

I think it would be. I was just saying because of the fires and Cali regs, I didn't know if Fresno, SJSU, or SDSU had even had players doing anything at all. I know some of the PAC teams haven't had players doing a thing for months.

23 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Not true.

Ed Orgeron inadvertently admitted most of his team got Covid during the first couple weeks of practice. They now have a herd immunity.  I heard ba couple of national CFB guys on talk radio say their sources have told them many programs had the mindset of, "let get sick and build and get it over with during fall practice.

Another issue for the G5's will be having the money and resources to conduct daily testing.

200.gif

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

12 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I know what you're saying is tongue in cheek, but without revenue from this year, I think some schools would be in danger of dropping significant aspects of their athletics programs

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 hours ago, WyomingAg said:

I would buy your argument if we were talking about multiple seasons. However, one season isn't going to amount to diddly squat.

2 hours ago, alum93 said:

Take Boise out of the MWC and the Sun Belt is just as good, year in and year out.

12 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Take Boise out of the MWC and the Sun Belt is just as good, year in and year out.

Pretty much.  Even with Boise,  an undefeated App State that knocks off one or two P5 teams will get invited to a big bowl game and certainly not the playoffs.  Just like a Boise, or a UCF, or whoever else we want to add from G5 teams.   The Sun Belt has to recruit in the backyards of P5 programs, but they also recruit in states that put out a ton of FBS players.  While they haven't made a lot of progress in basketball,  their football has gotten steadily better over last decade or two.

19 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I counted and 7 of the Sun Belt schools failed to average even 18K per game in 2019. I was going to say nobody in the MW except SJSU and UNM (which fired its coach) averaged less than 18K. However, having checked, Nevada (which was a bowl team) also did.

1. Conference value isn't defined solely by play on the field and attendance numbers are an indication the MW-SBC disparity is larger than you claim.

2. WTF Nevada!

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I counted and 7 of the Sun Belt schools failed to average even 18K per game in 2019. I was going to say nobody in the MW except SJSU and UNM (which fired its coach) averaged less than 18K. However, having checked, Nevada (which was a bowl team) also did.

1. Conference value isn't defined solely by play on the field and attendance numbers are an indication the MW-SBC disparity is larger than you claim.

2. WTF Nevada!

SDSU counts every fan twice, though.