Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

MWC Looking to play this fall

8 hours ago, madmartigan said:

Over 30,000 cases among college students. Zero hospitalizations. I'd say it's pretty low risk for the kids. 

Not trolling you, but where are you getting your information from? There’s been one death of a college football player already, and this article sounds a little scary to me...

”A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19“.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coronavirus-in-college-football-hospitalizations-deaths-projected-by-data-analysts-if-fbs-plays-in/amp/

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

21 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Not trolling you, but where are you getting your information from? There’s been one death of a college football player already, and this article sounds a little scary to me...

”A noted University of Illinois computer science professor has some troubling data to consider regarding widespread infection and even death.

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson told CBS Sports he expects a 30%-50% infection rate of the approximately 13,000 players competing in FBS this season. Based on his research, he also projects 3-7 deaths among those players due to COVID-19“.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coronavirus-in-college-football-hospitalizations-deaths-projected-by-data-analysts-if-fbs-plays-in/amp/

I am searching for the source. Gimme a bit. I hope I can find it. 

Edit: 

Also, other sources claiming it's BS or misleading: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/coronavirus/no-it’s-not-true-zero-college-students-have-been-hospitalized-coronavirus-169030

Per Usual, I don't know shit. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

38 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

I am searching for the source. Gimme a bit. I hope I can find it. 

Edit: 

Also, other sources claiming it's BS or misleading: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/coronavirus/no-it’s-not-true-zero-college-students-have-been-hospitalized-coronavirus-169030

Per Usual, I don't know shit. 

Who is Andrew Bostom? 

Recent article about high school football - 1,000 games played in multiple states, over 120,000 human interactions (players, officials, coaches etc) and exactly ZERO positive test results, even among siblings and parents. Something fishy (read political) about the scare tactics being used to keep everything shut down. 

15 hours ago, Willie Cee said:

Recent article about high school football - 1,000 games played in multiple states, over 120,000 human interactions (players, officials, coaches etc) and exactly ZERO positive test results, even among siblings and parents. Something fishy (read political) about the scare tactics being used to keep everything shut down. 

Where is the source on that. I know that just here in Wyoming we have had already 2 or 3 games canceled due to covid cases. Seems like it is hard to directly link any case to the actual football game.

22 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

What about SJSU and SDSU? I could see SJSU not being ready either. 

I've seen pictures of our players working out (with proper spacing of course) at the school facilities, so at the very least some of them are back.  And with a MWC resumption announcement soon an Oct 19 first game date should give the teams enough time to get ready. 

That would be roughly the time that teams have for fall practice under normal circumstances, isn't it?  

On 9/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, TheDoggFather said:

Bad air will keep Fresno (Maybe San Jose) from starting the season more than COVID restrictions

We saw blue sky here in SJ on Wednesday, literally for the first time in 30 days.  Yesterday the AQI was in the 30's where I live.   So unless things dramatically deteriorate  I think that we are good to go. 

17 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Who is Andrew Bostom? 

Associate professor of Medicine at Brown University medical school. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/17/2020 at 4:55 AM, Ibanez said:

Like I said, as soon as the B1G made an announcement we would play.

@Jack Bauer

@BleedRebelRed

It took what? Less than 48 hours after the B1G decision for the MWC to have a plan? This was the plan all along.

You must have "front ranger" level of confidence in MWC commissioner Craig Thompson.  Most of the non "front rangers" are CT doubters an bitter that we've now paid the guy over $14M in salary since 1998 to get us where we now are.

On 9/17/2020 at 10:22 AM, Jack Bauer said:

The risk isn't for the student athletes. 

The risk is putting a zillion people in a stadium.

Not true.

Ed Orgeron inadvertently admitted most of his team got Covid during the first couple weeks of practice. They now have a herd immunity.  I heard ba couple of national CFB guys on talk radio say their sources have told them many programs had the mindset of, "let get sick and build and get it over with during fall practice.

Another issue for the G5's will be having the money and resources to conduct daily testing.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Just now, Spaztecs said:

Not true.

Ed Orgeron inadvertently admitted most of his team got Covid during the first couple weeks of practice. They now have a herd immunity.  I heard a couple of national CFB guys on talk radio say their sources have told them many programs had the mindset of, "let get sick and get it over with during fall practice."

Another issue for the G5's will be having the money and resources to conduct daily testing.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/17/2020 at 9:22 AM, Jack Bauer said:

The risk isn't for the student athletes. 

The risk is putting a zillion people in a stadium.

50 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Not true.

Ed Orgeron inadvertently admitted most of his team got Covid during the first couple weeks of practice. They now have a herd immunity.  I heard ba couple of national CFB guys on talk radio say their sources have told them many programs had the mindset of, "let get sick and build and get it over with during fall practice.

Umm...what part of what JB said is "not true"?

On 9/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Jack Bauer said:

What about SJSU and SDSU? I could see SJSU not being ready either. 

At least SJSU doesn't have to worry about too many fans attending games.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

The problem with the MWC schools and their fans is this:.They think it's Hairs fault where their programs are. That's simply not true. Hair is a mouthpiece. That's it.

I'm gonna call out two schools. New Mexico and UNLV. You all should be ashamed at where your programs are at. UNLV should be right up there with Houston, UCLA, Cincinnati, UCF... big city, famous city, and you're not worth a +++++. As for New Mexico, the school in the MWC who thinks they are and have been a college hoops power? Can't even get 12,000 fans in the stands on football? As much as they hate their so-called little sister, an argument could be made the Aggies are the better FBS school on basketball and football over the last 5 years. Glass houses and shit.

Athletics at the University of Not a Lotta Victories have been grossly mismanaged. Off the top of my head the only BCS school equally as bad over the last 30 years has been Illannoy. (Sorry, can't help myself sometimes because I have friends who graduated from both schools and they're so often disgusted.)

UNM simply doesn't have as much to work with. It's located in a state with the 8th lowest per capita income and there is virtually no football talent there. As many have said before, that school needs to drop the sport and concentrate on hoops and baseball.

However, Thompson has done a piss poor job himself. As an example, Karl Benson was a much better commissioner for the WAC and then the Sun Belt. Seems to me that once Thompson learned in about 2009 that the MWC was never going to gain BCS playoff status, he basically retired on the job.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/sep/18/unlv-to-play-rerouted-maui-invitational-in-ashevil/

The Maui/Asheville organizers included UNLV as part of the expected field, and on Friday coach T.J. Otzelberger confirmed his team will compete.

"We're playing," Otzelberger said. "We're just trying to figure out what's the best and safest way to get there, and then where we're staying and how we're getting back. Our staff is working to put it in place as we speak."

The Invitational will be held in a "bubble environment," according to the event's organizers, with the games set to take place at the Harrah's Cherokee Center in Asheville from Nov. 30 through Dec. 2.

3 hours ago, ridgeview2 said:

From President Castro this morning. 

You just knew those dirty Commies were running things...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.