Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

MWC Looking to play this fall

1 hour ago, LoFasZz said:

Good. Finally some sense.  There is negligible risk involved with the current daily testing. Substantially less risk than if we just let the kids do whatever they want with no season and frankly it's not even close. Infinitesimally less risk

Like I said last month. There was nothing to gain and everything to lose from cancelling early. Rapid testing was coming and everyone knew it 

Does CSEwe still have a football program?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

39 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

Bad air will keep Fresno (Maybe San Jose) from starting the season more than COVID restrictions

Same here. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

17 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The risk isn't for the student athletes. 

The risk is putting a zillion people in a stadium.

Agreed. Most models I've seen have very limited/no stadium capacity. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

20 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The risk isn't for the student athletes. 

The risk is putting a zillion people in a stadium.

2 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

Agreed. Most models I've seen have very limited/no stadium capacity. 

So will everyone be okay with playing even if no fans are allowed?

I didn't buy tickets this year anyway so I won't care, just give me some damn games.

Just now, renoskier said:

I didn't buy tickets this year anyway so I won't care, just give me some damn games.

It's not optimal, but nothing is during a pandemic. I just wonder if the lost revenue from concessions, ticket sales, in-game prostitution, will be enough to say no season for the MW. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I think the risk is negligible to the kids. Not worse than the already assumed risk of playing football and getting a head injury or some other injury. Some risk to coaches or auxiliary people who help out. 

I don't buy tickets these days anyhow, so I don't care. I'm not paying what season tickets cost to go see them play UTSA. I can watch at home and smoke a brisket and wings and drink a Coke and watch on the high def TV. I'd rather attend a road game most years, because you can make a fun trip of it and see some other place you've never been. 

3 minutes ago, madmartigan said:

It's not optimal, but nothing is during a pandemic. I just wonder if the lost revenue from concessions, ticket sales, in-game prostitution, will be enough to say no season for the MW. 

I think that was more what was driving the MWC. Loss of revenue plus cost of testing. Margins are tight. But you don't play and people lose their jobs that work for the athletic dept as well. Most ADs are just trying to keep their athletic departments afloat right now. 

I think it's funny that the PAC follows what the B1G does so much. Grow a pair and stand on your own two feet.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

You said it was because the MWC couldn't afford it. That's true. But I had said all along that the MWC was waiting on the PAC-12.Bkth were held back because of California.

I did. And I still think that will end up being the case for some of the teams. I know a big reason for postponing and canceling games for Boise is due to lack of funds and not being able to host fans. This year is about survival at this point. you know this.

California is a whole different thing too.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

15 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I think the risk is negligible to the kids. Not worse than the already assumed risk of playing football and getting a head injury or some other injury. Some risk to coaches or auxiliary people who help out. 

I don't buy tickets these days anyhow, so I don't care. I'm not paying what season tickets cost to go see them play UTSA. I can watch at home and smoke a brisket and wings and drink a Coke and watch on the high def TV. I'd rather attend a road game most years, because you can make a fun trip of it and see some other place you've never been. 

I think that was more what was driving the MWC. Loss of revenue plus cost of testing. Margins are tight. But you don't play and people lose their jobs that work for the athletic dept as well. Most ADs are just trying to keep their athletic departments afloat right now. 

I think it's funny that the PAC follows what the B1G does so much. Grow a pair and stand on your own two feet.

Hair Thompson leads from the front.. the front of the line copying everything the PAC-12 and B1G does. 

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

Don't think so. It's my understand that Fresno has done literally nothing to prepare for the 2020 season. I heard they never even brought their players back to campus. Coaches have not seen players face to face in months and months.

What about SJSU and SDSU? I could see SJSU not being ready either. 

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

8 games isn't enough. We need to schedule 10. Hell I'm up for playing MAC teams at this point but of prefer the PAC-12 or B1G...  But that's wishful thinking.

The MAC? I’m good. I could see a 1 off MWC vs Pac-12 scheduling agreement though. CSU-CU, Cal State schools and Hawaii vs the CA Pac-12 schools. UNM-UA. USU-UU. UNLV-ASU. Wyo, UNR, AFA, Boise vs the pacific NW schools. 

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

What about SJSU and SDSU? I could see SJSU not being ready either. 

According to Brady Hoke, beginning today at 5:30 am, the Aztecs were to begin practicing "with a ball," which he said is kind of important for football. However, there has been a regular practice schedule without a football for many weeks, weekly team meetings via Zoom and daily interaction between position coaches and their guys. The Aztecs still can't have contact drills but that's expected to change soon.

It's understandable that with all the brush fires Fresno still can't practice outdoors but why can't they find indoor facilities to do so? What's SJSU?

19 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

According to Brady Hoke, beginning today at 5:30 am, the Aztecs were to begin practicing "with a ball," which he said is kind of important for football. However, there has been a regular practice schedule without a football for many weeks, weekly team meetings via Zoom and daily interaction between position coaches and their guys. The Aztecs still can't have contact drills but that's expected to change soon.

It's understandable that with all the brush fires Fresno still can't practice outdoors but why can't they find indoor facilities to do so? What's SJSU?

I'm more just feeling like California has had some pretty wild regulations during this. I don't know more than SJSU people do about this.

I hope you guys get to have a season.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I believe those two schools brought players back to campus and were working out/practicing. I couldbe wrong. I would need some SJSU and SDSU people to confirm. @SJSUMFA2013

To be honest I have no idea. But pretty much our whole roster is from California so even if we sent them home getting them back to campus shouldn’t be a problem. The bigger hurdle is the air quality in the Bay Area due to the wildfires. We don’t have a fancy indoor practice facility so getting enough practice time in before the start of a mid-late October season might be an issue.

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

I can forego my in-person season ticket rights for a season so long as the games get played and we get reasonable access for viewing.  For the students?  Let 'em in and figure a way to make it work with spacing and, if that's still a thing, masks.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.