Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpartanGrad

CA Gov Claims No Restrictions on PAC-12 to Resume Season

14 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I thought your argument was a lot of people living there can't be wrong?  When it's population density is lower than average compared to other the rest of the world in a littoral region on similar parallels.  Why does California suck so much they lag behind the rest of the world and nobody wants to live there?

And let's be real.  The weather in California is shit!  8 month fire season?  Pass.

come on you're smarter than that, 1/2 the state is a farmers paradise (its responsible for 1/2 the fruits/vegetables of the US)

Just now, Del Scorcho said:

come on you're smarter than that, 1/2 the state is a farmers paradise (its responsible for 1/2 the fruits/vegetables of the US)

I'm being a little disingenuous, yes.

I would not like to live in California, but I am not normal.  I would be happy living in Alaska or a grandfathered Ranch in a Wilderness Area with nobody around for 50 miles in any direction.

On 9/18/2020 at 5:17 PM, Billings said:

A bit on the mass exodus of California

https://calmatters.org/explainers/california-population-migration-census-demographics-immigration/

"Depends on how you look at it. California is losing residents to other states and as the population ages, but those losses are being more than offset by new births and foreign-born immigration. The number of Californians is still increasing, but our once-robust growth rate has slowed."

One group of Californians isn’t looking for greener pastures: college graduates. Over the past five years, California has attracted 162,000 more adults with at least a bachelor’s degree from other states than it has lost, according to the Public Policy Institute of California. The Golden State stands alone in this regard. 

“This interstate migration pattern — gaining large numbers of college graduates while losing large numbers of less educated adults — doesn’t happen anywhere else in the country,” the report states.

All states experience shifts in population. California’s numbers are large because the state’s population in general is large. When departures are put into the context of the overall number of households, California ranks 50th in the nation. And if you look at net migration (people leaving compared to people entering), California ranks squarely in the middle of the pack at 27th. Nothing to boast about, but hardly a mass exodus.

Perspective

In other words, educated people and immigrants are coming, contards are leaving. Works for me. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'm being a little disingenuous, yes.

I would not like to live in California, but I am not normal.  I would be happy living in Alaska or a grandfathered Ranch in a Wilderness Area with nobody around for 50 miles in any direction.

I get that, its not for everyone, but I understand what is so attractive.  Especially if you have lots of money.  My FIL, a long-time California retired to Huntington Beach to be closer to his kids.  And now you can't get him to shut up about how much he loves the place.

I was down there last week, and with COVID traffic has lightened up considerably.  If that continues it makes CA even more attractive.  

On 9/16/2020 at 11:50 PM, soupslam1 said:

Nah, Wyoming is too cold for them. We’re seeing a butt load in Idaho though. 

And driving up real estate markets with the big money they sold their house for. The other day, I was checking out house values in LA, and not far from Westwood, a 1,000 square ft. 1920’s era house on a tiny lot with no garage was $1.6 million. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

And driving up real estate markets with the big money they sold their house for. The other day, I was checking out house values in LA, and not far from Westwood, a 1,000 square ft. 1920’s era house on a tiny lot with no garage was $1.6 million. 

And there’s no place to build other than 100 miles from the city center. That’s what happens when you try and squeeze too many people into a confined space. Urban planning at its finest. Lol