Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Boise State's MBB back court will be FAR superior to UNLV's.

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I said pro career.  Fazekas could score from anywhere on the court.  He could make his own shot.  He could run the floor.  You also had players like Kemp, Shilo, etc...on those teams.

All good players but not particularly athletic.  

17 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

All good players but not particularly athletic.  

Yeah, neither the Nevada teams or the USU teams were overly athletic but their talent was still top of the WAC, aside from the occasional criminal, pizza guy robbing, NMSU team.  Fazekas was a lot like Adam Morrison.  Could take over a game at the college level, but not really an NBA talent.

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said: , or anybody else...

just for kicks, would be fun to list the ratings of UNLV's and Boise's starting backcourt coming out of hs.  See how they compare.

No idea who’s starting, but using 247:

Boise:

Alston: Unranked (6’-8”, 135 lbs was not worthy of a ranking in HS, All-MW)

Akot: .9913 (5*)

Doutrive: .9732 (4*)

Shaver: .8546 (3*)

+ depth guys

Kigab .9157

Dennis .8556

Smith (unranked Juco All-American)

UNLV:

Hamilton: .9289

Grill: .9111

Tillman: .8726

Antonio: .8800 (juco rating)

Jenkins: unranked (all-summit league, led nation in scoring.)

Wood: .8775

true freshman:

Blake: .9218

Lindsey: .8650

Yap: .8618

—-

Alston and Jenkins both unranked, and both have a good chance to compete for MWPOY. From there advantage Boise (at least on the perimeter). 

8 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

No idea who’s starting, but using 247:

Boise:

Alston: Unranked (6’-8”, 135 lbs was not worthy of a ranking in HS, All-MW)

Akot: .9913 (5*)

Doutrive: .9732 (4*)

Shaver: .8546 (3*)

+ depth guys

Kigab .9157

Dennis .8556

Smith (unranked Juco All-American)

UNLV:

Hamilton: .9289

Grill: .9111

Tillman: .8726

Antonio: .8800 (juco rating)

Jenkins: unranked (all-summit league, led nation in scoring.)

Wood: .8775

true freshman:

Blake: .9218

Lindsey: .8650

Yap: .8618

—-

Alston and Jenkins both unranked, and both have a good chance to compete for MWPOY. From there advantage Boise (at least on the perimeter). 

Here’s the numbers for the highest rated player in the MWC. Fits my definition for raw athleticism to a T. (I forgot to include in my definition that turnovers come with raw athleticism).

E34EA8B2-7AEB-4B3D-9C1A-29BDB4589173.jpeg

Arizona has been kinda a mess the last couple years...during the FBI investigation on Sean Miller paying recruits. NCAA is such a sham for not giving them a death penalty btw.

But 21-11 and 17-15 last two years. 

Akot only getting garbage minutes like he's a walk-on isn't a good indicator that his 5-star rating was accurate. If he's the best player in practice with a guy like Alston on the team I could be wrong though. UNLV scored plenty of 4/5 star transfers that were riding pine at a P5 and they ended being All-MWC players.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

UNLV and TJO have decided to go old school by building with an All Neighborhood style approach. This time around though many of those neighborhoods are local to Las Vegas.  Looking at this year’s eligible players we will take a step forward. Looking at the players recruited and eligible next year we will take an even bigger step forward. One of the biggest challenges over the past decade was keeping talent for more than a year or two at a time.

This question is yet to be answered going into year 2 but looking at the type and character of player that TJ has recruited or kept so far and what we saw with the ultimatum last  December I’m pretty optimistic at this point.  It’s only year 2 for TJ. How in the world can he compete with Leon in his 11th season of building the juggernaut BS-U?

5 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

This article says Alston (6’-9”) is likely going to start at point guard for Boise this year.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/07/08/boise-state-derrick-alston-early-entry-nba-draft/

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

He may get some point guard time, but Dennis and Shavers will get the most.

Yeah, I can see Alston bringing it up a few times a game based on what they are trying to do on offense but Shavers is the starting PG.