Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Big Ten reverses course, will play football in the fall

The Big Ten is expected to announce on Wednesday a return to football in October, sources confirmed to ESPN. The season will start the weekend of Oct. 24, sources confirmed.

The news was first reported by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The Big Ten on Aug. 11 postponed all fall sports seasons, including football, because of concerns about the pandemic. The league's presidents and chancellors voted 11-3 to postpone, with only Nebraska, Ohio State and Iowa electing to proceed. A vote to play a fall season would require at least 60% of the presidents and chancellors (nine or more).

The league's entire council of presidents and chancellors met for several hours Sunday afternoon with members of the return-to-competition task force, which plans for scheduling and television. The Big Ten medical subcommittee reviewed the latest medical information about a safe resumption of play during the coronavirus pandemic, and the task force also met Saturday with eight presidents or chancellors, including Nebraska chancellor Ronnie Green.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29897305/sources-big-ten-announce-october-return

I’ll wait and see if the Michigan schools will be playing. I hope so, but the way that governor is keeping things locked up not sure if visiting teams will be able to come.  Just like NM governor slapping quarantine for two weeks.

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

I’ll wait and see if the Michigan schools will be playing. I hope so, but the way that governor is keeping things locked up not sure if visiting teams will be able to come.  Just like NM governor slapping quarantine for two weeks.

Michigan State sent out announcement on their social media, so I’d guess so.  

The MW needs to come up with a plan now to play in the fall (with or without the CA schools). 8 game conference schedule would work (even without the CA schools). Hawaii is a bit of a wild card (due to their 14 day mandatory quarantine for visitors, which they may relax as early as Oct. 1 w/ a pre-travel testing program). I would also like to see the fan in stadium decision left up to the schools (25-33% capacity seems like appropriate numbers).

Couple interesting scheduling quirks.  12/19 will be the CCG, but sounds like everybody will play.  1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, etc....Alvarez called it '8 plus 1', which suggests 9 games total, with no open weeks.  Bit of a risk, but it remains to be seen if thats the actual format.  it's also been mentioned that the 1st weekend will actually start on Friday, the 23rd - when neither Fox (World Series) , FS1 (WWE Smackdown) or ESPN (Tulsa/USF) will be available.  Wonder if TU/USF will get bumped.  Quite the balancing act - start as late as possible but still get a season in before the CFP while hoping games dont get cancelled.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Opinion article in USAToday on Big Ten decision.  The ultimate insult,  they are now no different than the SEC.  Ouch...   Note, greed always wins.  That's why the P5 will eventually break away from G5.  But that's another topic.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/09/16/big-ten-football-decision-marks-darkest-day/5793238002/

For decades, the Big Ten has thought of itself as a different kind of sports conference, one that proudly touts the academic achievements and Great Lakes values of its like-minded, highly-regarded, internationally-ranked research institutions. The Big Ten wasn’t the SEC; it wasn’t the Big 12. It was better than that, and it was happy to tell you all about it.

As proof, one only had to look at the conference’s prudent August decision to shut down fall sports in the midst of the global pandemic. It was only natural that the Big Ten would follow the Ivy League, and that the Pac-12 would follow the Big Ten. It was a tough decision, heartbreaking and costly, but it was the right one.

That’s the Big Ten for you, concerned about science, medicine and safety. Let the football factories of the SEC, Big 12 and ACC (Clemson’s playground) continue playing; the Big Ten was doing the right thing looking out for its student-athletes, treating them almost no differently than the student body at large, and that was all that mattered.

Then came Wednesday, the darkest day in Big Ten history, the day the vaunted conference caved. It choked. It got scared. It became the SEC.

Christine Brennan.  A sports journalist who doesnt seem to like sports.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, thedude15 said:

It is really going to hurt recruiting if the MW doesn't try to play in the fall.

Big-10 is back, Pac-12 will be forced to return. That just leaves MW and the MAC as the conferences not trying to have a season in the fall...

I'm afraid it's too late and the damage has been done.  

2 hours ago, Maynard Delecto said:

The B1GPAC got its azz handed to it by the SEC again! They're playing 3D Chess, and Larry Scott is playing Tiddly Winks. 

The PAC 12 presidents need to take a real hard look at things. They probably don't have it in them to do what needs to be done. 

But hey, "Asia Strategy"!

Larry Scott is probably on his way out.

And, the counter point to Ms. Brennan.

https://theathletic.com/2063804/2020/09/16/mandel-why-im-thrilled-and-relieved-that-the-big-ten-is-coming-back/

Testing availability was a big concern back then. Labs were taking a week or longer to get back results. Now, long-awaited rapid-response antigen tests are becoming more readily available. The new tests, if administered near-daily, could allow teams to prevent the massive outbreaks that are currently wiping out games. And conferences now have protocols in place to make sure players are properly screened for possible heart complications before returning to activities.

For all those reasons, today I’m relieved for an entirely different reason. I’m relieved that Big Ten football is coming back. It’s not going to be risk-free by any means, but I’m far more comfortable with those risks than I was five weeks ago. So, too, apparently, were at least six more Big Ten presidents.