Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Boat Ideas?

3 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

The safety lanyard shuts the engine down once disengaged - like the typical treadmill safety precaution?

I agree; take your seats!

Yes. That clown was lucky he spun out when he did at that speed. The boat was still moving pretty fast after he went down.  Your typical wakeboard boats don’t go fast enough to really worry.

What I'm gathering here is that I'll not purchase new.

Further, it's likely highly beneficial to have one of my friends engage in this project with me, so I can capitalize on his boat knowledge...

I can't understand why I'm able to find an individual in a financially distressed position, who'd be willing to accept cash, or otherwise, in return for a discounted purchase of his boat.

I have no problem building one; perhaps that's the best tactic.   Farm it out, and have friends help me hodgepodge together a frugal, yet badass boat..

In my eyes, if the hulls integrity isn't compromised, and it's layout is pleasing, then everything else is essentially gravy..

I definatley don't want to +++++ it up by making a rookies' mistake.  For example, if I go cheap to save 1k, did I just pass on shit that renders the alternative unacceptable.

To me, the amenities that cost a little extra are totally worth it; for example, one boat has all sorts of below deck storage and flexibility, whereas the other has no such access, but instead, it cost slightly less...  That's called being stupid...

I just want to avoid rookie mistakes... 

Anyone have novel ideas RE testing and confirming hull integrity?

Mine is a 93. Completely restored.  New motor, everything. Quite the project. I did half the project myself. I will say this, do plenty of research before you do anything.  Think about shipping costs for big parts etc.. If I were you, I would rent a few times before you start dropping coin..

Dude, come out to Lucky Peak sometime..

Yeah, yeah, yeah that shit sucks...   Nope, it's awesome! 

Endless miles of never-ending, winding variation through multiple landscape varieties - pertaining to the width and passage routs encountered and you keep pressing forward..

fishing-report-map-Lucky-Peak-Lake-Idaho

Any ideas RE boats, which are incompatible with certain engines?

I'd like to buy the engine separately.

Could be dangerous playing the mix and match game. It’s about hull, weight, center of gravity and speed tolerance . If you go this route make sure you research what the boat had in it before and talk to a good BOAT mechanic about your plans.

7 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

You didn't have to hurt me like that.

You're saying I can't purchase a suitable boat for 30K?

Yes but a used one first. You can get an older wakeboard boat for that.

Do what @utenationsuggested. Rent several times to get a feel of what you want. Then do research and be prepared before you buy. I will disagree with one thing @utenationsaid. Normally this time of year is the time to buy as he suggested. However given Covid the used market has been super strong lately and you’re not likely to get as good a deal as you normally would this time of year. People have been buying boats left and right over the last six months. 

Once restrictions are lifted next year it should be a buyers market. I’d rent a bunch of times between now and then and be prepared. 

To give you an idea of how crazy the used market is - at least in CA, I had a 23’ mastercraft I bought a year ago that I sold Last month for more than I paid for it...

8 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Yes but a used one first. You can get an older wakeboard boat for that.

Do what @utenationsuggested. Rent several times to get a feel of what you want. Then do research and be prepared before you buy. I will disagree with one thing @utenationsaid. Normally this time of year is the time to buy as he suggested. However given Covid the used market has been super strong lately and you’re not likely to get as good a deal as you normally would this time of year. People have been buying boats left and right over the last six months. 

Once restrictions are lifted next year it should be a buyers market. I’d rent a bunch of times between now and then and be prepared. 

To give you an idea of how crazy the used market is - at least in CA, I had a 23’ mastercraft I bought a year ago that I sold Last month for more than I paid for it...

Yes, the new/used boat market is batshit crazy in Florida right now. 

The boat I’m looking at has a 10-12 month build time, typically it’s 2-3 months. 

2 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Yes, the new/used boat market is batshit crazy in Florida right now. 

The boat I’m looking at has a 10-12 month build time, typically it’s 2-3 months. 

It’s the same everywhere.

What are you looking at getting?

22 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Sweet boats. Where are you using that thing near Orlando?  Or are you keeping it in the keys?

It can be used pretty much anywhere, stick a removable trolling motor for bass lakes.  Primarily it will be for Mosquito Lagoon/Indian River/Banana River, Sanibel and the Keys.  

Boats are a maintenance headache but if you're running in fresh water it's not so bad.  My experience is as a salt water boat owner.

They're expensive relative to the time you have to enjoy them

They  take up space if you're going to trailer it.

Boat slips are expensive- stupid expensive here -if you're going to leave it in the water. Probably cheaper where you are

They end up being somewhat of a lifestyle choice in that you'll feel compelled to use it due to the money you have sunk into it, so you go boating when you'd rather be vegging on the couch.

They don't hold their value. Buy a used one if you're set on owning one. 

you need a reliable and knowledgeable 2nd person to help you launch, recover and operate it safely.

just a few thoughts

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

22 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

What I'm gathering here is that I'll not purchase new.

Further, it's likely highly beneficial to have one of my friends engage in this project with me, so I can capitalize on his boat knowledge...

I can't understand why I'm able to find an individual in a financially distressed position, who'd be willing to accept cash, or otherwise, in return for a discounted purchase of his boat.

I have no problem building one; perhaps that's the best tactic.   Farm it out, and have friends help me hodgepodge together a frugal, yet badass boat..

In my eyes, if the hulls integrity isn't compromised, and it's layout is pleasing, then everything else is essentially gravy..

I definatley don't want to +++++ it up by making a rookies' mistake.  For example, if I go cheap to save 1k, did I just pass on shit that renders the alternative unacceptable.

To me, the amenities that cost a little extra are totally worth it; for example, one boat has all sorts of below deck storage and flexibility, whereas the other has no such access, but instead, it cost slightly less...  That's called being stupid...

I just want to avoid rookie mistakes... 

Anyone have novel ideas RE testing and confirming hull integrity?

Here are a couple pictures of our boat. It's a 2004 22' Stingray. I purchased it 7 years ago for $16,000. It's been a great boat. All I've had to do to it, other than having it winterized, is replace the impeller and hub. Both are easy to do.

What you don't see in the pics are the wake board, knee board, skis, two tubes, inboard cooler and of course all the ropes and life vests. This thing has a ton of storage that hides all that stuff. It also has above water exhaust so it sounds like a beast, turns heads all over the lake. I thought about adding a tower but don't really need it.

When buying a boat, take your time. Don't just buy the first one you see. Sounds like you live in Idaho so the boating season will be coming to an end before too long. Take the winter to really research what kind of boat suits you in the price range you're willing to pay. Good luck and enjoy it when you do get something. 

20200917_085930.jpg

20200917_084422.jpg

On 9/16/2020 at 9:30 AM, Jeffkills said:

Is it because they're essentially the same sad story as a foreign sports car - like a Ferrari??

Can't a quality boat just maintain operation w proper care?

It can, but honestly, as the owner you get all of the other crap to deal with. You clean it up prior to hooking up and hauling. You launch it. You stay sober because you gotta drag the crap home. Everybody's trashed, now you're driving tired with no one to talk to and then you're stuck cleaning it up and storing it away. I enjoy boats immensely, but hate the associated headaches.

Here's some advice I was given by a friend of my dad...in fact, I think you can buy the stickers, which is probably where he got it from:

If it's fast, floats, flies, or fvcks, rent it. It's been good advice...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

2 hours ago, Dogs4Me said:

It can, but honestly, as the owner you get all of the other crap to deal with. You clean it up prior to hooking up and hauling. You launch it. You stay sober because you gotta drag the crap home. Everybody's trashed, now you're driving tired with no one to talk to and then you're stuck cleaning it up and storing it away. I enjoy boats immensely, but hate the associated headaches.

Here's some advice I was given by a friend of my dad...in fact, I think you can buy the stickers, which is probably where he got it from:

If it's fast, floats, flies, or fvcks, rent it. It's been good advice...

Great advice, bro..

That immediately illuminated a tiny lighte above my head..

New-Signature.jpg