Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Boat Ideas?

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Unless you're going to be on the water 3+ days a week, I'd just recommend renting.

You can rent a pretty decent boat for $300-400 per day. 

https://www.intermountainpowersportrentals.com/boat-rentals/ski-boats/

It's not the same. Buying/owning a boat is about enjoyment, not about investment.

7 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I had a 20' Bayliner Capri but recently sold in the $5000 ballpark.  Storage was the difficult part for me - where do you put a 24' long trailer?  Maintenance and winterization/dewinterization costs about $1000 per year, unless you do it yourself.  If you are going to store it somewhere in the wintertime, then it's another $100-200 per month.  Moorage fees (keeping it at the lake all summer - nice if you get trailer-backing-up anxiety) are another $1000 per year or so.

Boat stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".

Good points. Before I got my house, I had to play the storage facility game.. Pain in the ass.. I wouldn't do it again.. If you don't have RV parking at your house, I would strongly consider renting first..

7 minutes ago, utenation said:

I would love to go to Tahoe.. Such a long pull for me though.. Closest thing we have to that is Bear Lake...

Tahoe is beautiful but a little cold and rough for water sports. If I was going to keep a boat up there, I'd really want something a little bigger, probably with a deep-v.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Tahoe is beautiful but a little cold and rough for water sports. If I was going to keep a boat up there, I'd really want something a little bigger, probably with a deep-v.

The only water sports I do are the occasional jump in.. My gig is music, cruising and going 75. My boat is built for chop..  So it would be perfect. I've been to Tahoe several times, just not on my rig.. My retirement goal is to have a Corleone type compound from Godfather 2. lol

5 minutes ago, utenation said:

The only water sports I do are the occasional jump in.. My gig is music, cruising and going 75. My boat is built for chop..  So it would be perfect. I've been to Tahoe several times, just not on my rig.. My retirement goal is to have a Corleone type compound from Godfather 2. lol

A friend of a friend is a care taker at an estate just south of Tahoe City. He owns a 35 foot Cigarette and it can just fly though the chop. I've gone 75 in that boat; makes it hard to drink your beer :cheers:

Just now, renoskier said:

A friend of a friend is a care taker at an estate just south of Tahoe City. He owns a 35 foot Cigarette and it can just fly though the chop. I've gone 75 in that boat; makes it hard to drink your beer :cheers:

That's when you shut it down. Kick up the tunes.. Enjoy some adult beverages. Rinse and Repeat.. I run a 27 foot Formula..

10 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

^^^^

The instant you know nobody ever lets you man the helm again....

The biggest mistake of this disaster. Homeboy wasn't wearing his safety lanyard.. A must when driving high speed powerboats.. Everyone should be seated as well.. It's like a good train wreck, you can't stop watching his bald melon go flying..

image.jpeg.2f67f1649913cfa355fe6b005482646e.jpeg

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I had a 20' Bayliner Capri but recently sold in the $5000 ballpark.  Storage was the difficult part for me - where do you put a 24' long trailer?  Maintenance and winterization/dewinterization costs about $1000 per year, unless you do it yourself.  If you are going to store it somewhere in the wintertime, then it's another $100-200 per month.  Moorage fees (keeping it at the lake all summer - nice if you get trailer-backing-up anxiety) are another $1000 per year or so.

Boat stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".\

Bro, it seems like every time you're asked a relevant question, you consistently provide a reliable answer, which is nearly always material to my concern...

You do a superlative job upon this here MW inter web; excellent form as usual, good Sir....

61Qsn7cc7GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

New-Signature.jpg

3 hours ago, utenation said:

The biggest mistake of this disaster. Homeboy wasn't wearing his safety lanyard.. A must when driving high speed powerboats.. Everyone should be seated as well.. It's like a good train wreck, you can't stop watching his bald melon go flying..

image.jpeg.2f67f1649913cfa355fe6b005482646e.jpeg

The safety lanyard shuts the engine down once disengaged - like the typical treadmill safety precaution?

I agree; take your seats!

New-Signature.jpg

4 hours ago, utenation said:

Good points. Before I got my house, I had to play the storage facility game.. Pain in the ass.. I wouldn't do it again.. If you don't have RV parking at your house, I would strongly consider renting first..

I'll have somebody store it for me...

Here's looking at you mom and dad...

However, as I think about it, perhaps the best idea would be to rent several boats and then select my preference...

New-Signature.jpg

Stay 100% away from new. You're looking at $100K+for anything bigger and quality. You are coming into the best time to buy.. With this economy, lots of people looking to unload.  Here's my recommendation,  if this is your first boat, don't go all out. Buy something in the mid range on price.. Make sure you like everything bout boating before you get too deep into the hobby.

I would stay away from anything with over 600 hours, unless it's been rebuilt.  Based on what you said your needs are, I would look at Chaparral, Sea Ray, Crown Line or Regal. Boat Trader is a good place to start.

What I'm gathering here is that I'll not purchase new.

Further, it's likely highly beneficial to have one of my friends engage in this project with me, so I can capitalize on his boat knowledge...

I can't understand why I'm able to find an individual in a financially distressed position, who'd be willing to accept cash, or otherwise, in return for a discounted purchase of his boat.

I have no problem building one; perhaps that's the best tactic.   Farm it out, and have friends help me hodgepodge together a frugal, yet badass boat..

In my eyes, if the hulls integrity isn't compromised, and it's layout is pleasing, then everything else is essentially gravy..

I definatley don't want to +++++ it up by making a rookies' mistake.  For example, if I go cheap to save 1k, did I just pass on shit that renders the alternative unacceptable.

To me, the amenities that cost a little extra are totally worth it; for example, one boat has all sorts of below deck storage and flexibility, whereas the other has no such access, but instead, it cost slightly less...  That's called being stupid...

I just want to avoid rookie mistakes... 

Anyone have novel ideas RE testing and confirming hull integrity?

New-Signature.jpg

I would love to go to Tahoe.. Such a long pull for me though.. Closest thing we have to that is Bear Lake...

Dude, come out to Lucky Peak sometime..

Yeah, yeah, yeah that shit sucks...   Nope, it's awesome! 

Endless miles of never-ending, winding variation through multiple landscape varieties - pertaining to the width and passage routs encountered and you keep pressing forward..

fishing-report-map-Lucky-Peak-Lake-Idaho

Any ideas RE boats, which are incompatible with certain engines?

I'd like to buy the engine separately.

New-Signature.jpg

17 hours ago, Jeffkills said:

Dudes,

Can any of you give me some bullet points RE the best boats to buy and why??

I'm looking for a typical party boat, I guess...  I just want something that's a can't miss good time...

Thoughts??

If you do buy just keep in the back of your mind 'BOAT' means 'bust out another thousand'...its a true statement. They are like a trophy wife...good times and fun but the maintenance.......

Get a pontoon boat. Just you and you homies. Your the captain, making your own party rules!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."