Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeffkills

OT - Boat Ideas?

Dudes,

Can any of you give me some bullet points RE the best boats to buy and why??

I'm looking for a typical party boat, I guess...  I just want something that's a can't miss good time...

Thoughts??

New-Signature.jpg

I know I want ample seating stern-side, behind the wheel, and couch style open seating at the bow...

I'd like it to haul ass, for water skiing and shit, but also I want space and a little luxury...

Is it like second mortgage time if you're looking for below deck accommodations???

I'd like to navigate most all waterways, fish, and perhaps catch small amounts of air off super-conservative ramps...

Also, the coolest boats have AV systems installed within the boat, underneath the floor...   I just want to rock and roll all night, and conservatively boat during the day...

Also, if anyone knows why I should just let my friends buy boats, while I buy a damn KTM, please speak now...

Idaho has nothing but great places to ride...

New-Signature.jpg

2 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Free, just needs trailer...

LOL!

I gotta say, I'm not sure more beautiful country exists outside Cascade...  Round Valley, specifically...

I'd love to get a little property out there...

I don't understand why the boat isn't retrievable - rope, truck, trailer... resolution?? 

I feel like a few guys with a few beers and a little brainstorming could free that puppy....  Then again, I don't know shit, as I'm merely a prospective boating enthusiast...

New-Signature.jpg

34 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The two best days in a boat owners life: The day he buys his boat and the day he sells it.

Why?

I hear people talking about the expenses, but it seems like that comes with the territory...

There's gotta be a way to mitigate potential losses via elective insurance, etc..

New-Signature.jpg

39 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The two best days in a boat owners life: The day he buys his boat and the day he sells it.

If people are concerned with this, they shouldn't be buying boats.. Expenses, repair, wear and tear are part of the ballgame.. I use mine weekly. And the good times are priceless. 

My advice, coerce a close friend into buying the boat and you then buy gas & beer...money and time ahead.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

My advice, coerce a close friend into buying the boat and you then buy gas & beer...money and time ahead.

Is it because they're essentially the same sad story as a foreign sports car - like a Ferrari??

Can't a quality boat just maintain operation w proper care?

New-Signature.jpg

2 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

Free, just needs trailer...

A winch, a mobile home anchor, thick plastic pipes cut to the width of the boat, and a shovel or two can get that out.  He'll need a new prop for sure.     

4 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Somebody hit me with reality...

What kind of coin are we talking about, even for a boat like the one depicted in @tailingpermit's post??

Just go with the KTM??

Stay 100% away from new. You're looking at $100K+for anything bigger and quality. You are coming into the best time to buy.. With this economy, lots of people looking to unload.  Here's my recommendation,  if this is your first boat, don't go all out. Buy something in the mid range on price.. Make sure you like everything bout boating before you get too deep into the hobby.

I would stay away from anything with over 600 hours, unless it's been rebuilt.  Based on what you said your needs are, I would look at Chaparral, Sea Ray, Crown Line or Regal. Boat Trader is a good place to start.

I had a 20' Bayliner Capri but recently sold in the $5000 ballpark.  Storage was the difficult part for me - where do you put a 24' long trailer?  Maintenance and winterization/dewinterization costs about $1000 per year, unless you do it yourself.  If you are going to store it somewhere in the wintertime, then it's another $100-200 per month.  Moorage fees (keeping it at the lake all summer - nice if you get trailer-backing-up anxiety) are another $1000 per year or so.

Boat stands for "Break Out Another Thousand".

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Here's a nice boat for sale in Boise, $67,000:

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2017-sanger-v237sx-7550971/

I've always been partial to Mastercraft but Malibu and Sanger are good boats. This is a great all-around boat for almost any lake and will work fine in the river if your not going to get too shallow.

Unless you're going to be on the water 3+ days a week, I'd just recommend renting.

You can rent a pretty decent boat for $300-400 per day. 

https://www.intermountainpowersportrentals.com/boat-rentals/ski-boats/