Jump to content
bornontheblue

Netflix: The Social Dilemma

Recommended Posts

I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. Pretty Eye opening what they know about us based on how we use our smart phones. 

Social Media is what is driving all of this hatred and outrage in our country right now. I deleted all social Media off my phone last night. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. Pretty Eye opening what they know about us based on how we use our smart phones. 

Social Media is what is driving all of this hatred and outrage in our country right now. I deleted all social Media off my phone last night. 

I'm jealous. I wish I could delete my social media, but I have to use it for my job.

People these days are so offended about everything, on both sides of the political spectrum. And they're quick to gang up on someone regardless of whether they deserve it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CV147 said:

I'm jealous. I wish I could delete my social media, but I have to use it for my job.

People these days are so offended about everything, on both sides of the political spectrum. And they're quick to gang up on someone regardless of whether they deserve it.

They find out what gets you to react (often with anger) and they have algorithms that feed more feed more of that to the top of your news feed, because when you react they can monetize it.  This is why we have ever large growing number of anti vaxers, it is why white supremacists are growing their numbers, or growing number of people who think wearing masks is all a secret conspiracy to turn us all into Muslims. 

Social Media is so horrible for society. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

They find out what gets you to react (often with anger) and they have algorithms that feed more feed more of that to the top of your news feed, because when you react they can monetize it.  This is why we have ever large growing number of anti vaxers, it is why white supremacists are growing their numbers, or growing number of people who think wearing masks is all a secret conspiracy to turn us all into Muslims. 

Social Media is so horrible for society. 

It'd be better if people owned their emotions and realized they didn't have to react to everything. I know it's hard, but in reality nothing "makes" you mad. You can control that shit, as my buddy Marcus Aurelius says.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've somehow managed to keep all political garbage from showing up on my Instagram.  Facebook has been shitty ever since they let boomers on the platform (groups can be good though).  I like twitter as a consumer, but I've never posted on the platform.  I also like social media platforms that have very little interaction but lots of content and are more like a journal than a free-for-all; like Strava (for running/biking), Goodreads (for reading), and Untappd (for drinking).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bsu_alum9 said:

I've somehow managed to keep all political garbage from showing up on my Instagram.  Facebook has been shitty ever since they let boomers on the platform (groups can be good though).  I like twitter as a consumer, but I've never posted on the platform.  I also like social media platforms that have very little interaction but lots of content and are more like a journal than a free-for-all; like Strava (for running/biking), Goodreads (for reading), and Untappd (for drinking).

I only use Instagram and haven't had any issues will political shit.

I only follow 60, and only have 40 who follow me. I have been getting more "follow" request lately but if I don't recognize the name, I delete. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bob said:

This is the only "social media" I participate in. Haven't had FB for about a decade and don't have a Twitter, Instawahtever or Tick Tock or Vine or SnapChant.

I’m with you. This board is enough to get dragged down in. I can’t imagine paying attention to all the other social media out there. The echo chambers only reinforce tribes and shit. It’s really easy to see why there is so much division in the country. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook provides a valuable service, at least to me.  It lets me follow the lives of people I care about, even if I am too shitty a relative or friend to call them now and then, or remember their birthdays and anniversaries.  It makes me respect my parents and grandparents who would pencil in all those important dates into their calendars.  It has also provided me a way to reach out to people in need of support, who I otherwise would not have known were struggling.  Sometimes I post political stuff, but my feed is mostly about my outdoor adventurers.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CV147 said:

It'd be better if people owned their emotions and realized they didn't have to react to everything. I know it's hard, but in reality nothing "makes" you mad. You can control that shit, as my buddy Marcus Aurelius says.

“You can control that shit.”

Marcus Aurelius, 165 CE

 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never been a big fan of social media. I’ll look at Twitter occasionally, but don’t really engage. And I frequent this board. That’s it. I think for many people, though not all, social media is a detriment. ... Especially if they use it for news. Social media is a terrible place to get news.

However, I think if you use it solely to engage with close family and friends, I think it can be good. Problem is, not that many use it for just that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rarely post on social media. BUt I agree that people get too worked up on it. There are posts from relatives I see on facebook that really annoy me and are spreading lies. I think about saying something even just to fact check but then I think is it really worth the the time and energy that is gonna come from it and the ripples that may occur so I just leave it alone and move on with my life. Social media can be fine but people get too worked up and feel like they have to post all of their thoughts and opinions. As others have said I use it to keep track of friends and family I'm too lazy to keep in touch with otherwise. I get my frustrations with my family's factually incorrect memes here. A much more productive place for arguing about politics or sports.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m about halfway through this documentary and it’s damn scary especially the impact it’s having on kids. They show a correlation between social media and kids cutting themselves and even worse teen suicide. These social media companies know everything about us and know how to manipulate us. It’s their job to be able to do so. 

When you look at how much time people spend on social media, it blows you away. I believe it has also fueled the division in the country. Are we also being manipulated in that regard? The whole thing seems like science fiction,  but it’s real. For all the good it has created there is a very dark side. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 5:43 PM, CV147 said:

It'd be better if people owned their emotions and realized they didn't have to react to everything. I know it's hard, but in reality nothing "makes" you mad. You can control that shit, as my buddy Marcus Aurelius says.

If you don’t think anyone can make you mad, you never met my mother when I was going up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m about halfway through this documentary and it’s damn scary especially the impact it’s having on kids. They show a correlation between social media and kids cutting themselves and even worse teen suicide. These social media companies know everything about us and know how to manipulate us. It’s their job to be able to do so. 

When you look at how much time people spend on social media, it blows you away. I believe it has also fueled the division in the country. Are we also being manipulated in that regard? The whole thing seems like science fiction,  but it’s real. For all the good it has created there is a very dark side. 

Scary documentary. They figure out what makes us emotionally respond often with hate and anger, and then  make sure it is always front and center in our news feed because that is what brings in the $$$$$$. Using weaknesses in human Psychology against us to make billions. Its unethical IMO, and should be regulated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

People are concerned about the Patriot Act and NSA spying on citizens. Social media companies are much more insidious and invasive. On top of that they are manipulative. It’s insane what they know about people and steer you into the choices they want you to make. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

I've somehow managed to keep all political garbage from showing up on my Instagram.  Facebook has been shitty ever since they let boomers on the platform (groups can be good though).  I like twitter as a consumer, but I've never posted on the platform.  I also like social media platforms that have very little interaction but lots of content and are more like a journal than a free-for-all; like Strava (for running/biking), Goodreads (for reading), and Untappd (for drinking).

😂😂😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...