Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDSUfan

San Diego State University of Los Angeles

42 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

There will not be spring football. I won hundred percent guarantee that.

I used the word “if.” Idk what’s going to happen, but if it’s safe - meaning the players and staff are vaccinated - they’ll play. The $ these programs are losing is huge. If they don’t make some of it up, they might not be able to come back in 2021.

Well this gives me one more reason to hope MW plays football (either fall 20 or spring 21). Fresno @ Carson in fall 2021 would be nice. A 25 min drive (live in so cal) to a Fresno road game would be sweet!

But if the 20 season is cx all together guessing MW will just keep the 20 sch (ie SDSU @ Fresno) for 2021 fall season.  

Maybe this move will inspire CSU Long Beach to restart football. If SDSU can rent it out, so can some of the other universities located within a 10-mile proximity.

42 minutes ago, Anon5251042 said:

Maybe this move will inspire CSU Long Beach to restart football. If SDSU can rent it out, so can some of the other universities located within a 10-mile proximity.

Long Beach alum here. Football is not ever coming back there. There is simply no room in the budget, and if they tried to increase fees, faculty and students would revolt. The 5 CSUs who currently sponsor football (San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, San Luis Obispo, and Sacramento) rely heavily on private donations. Nobody is interested enough in Long Beach football to sponsor it, not so long as usc and UCLA are right there. 

1 hour ago, Anon5251042 said:

The stadium is actually ON the Cal State Dominguez Hills campus.

This little advertised factoid may be part of the answer.

Maybe we got a sweetheart deal?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

7 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Long Beach alum here. Football is not ever coming back there. There is simply no room in the budget, and if they tried to increase fees, faculty and students would revolt. The 5 CSUs who currently sponsor football (San Diego, Fresno, San Jose, San Luis Obispo, and Sacramento) rely heavily on private donations. Nobody is interested enough in Long Beach football to sponsor it, not so long as usc and UCLA are right there. 

They tried to increase fees back when I went to school there. The students shot it down then and the culture is more anti athletes at this point so zero shot the students would approve it. Now granted they could force an increase on students but an increase large enough to fund football (plus other women's sports that would need to be added) and the students revolt. I mean that would probably be $100 semester fee + maybe $50 per summer session. That would add like 9 mil to the athletic budget.  

10 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I used the word “if.” Idk what’s going to happen, but if it’s safe - meaning the players and staff are vaccinated - they’ll play. The $ these programs are losing is huge. If they don’t make some of it up, they might not be able to come back in 2021.

But my point was that there is no need for the word “if“ because they will not play spring football. It is not going to happen. 100%. I guarantee it. Who are they going to play, each other? For what? Who’s going to watch? Who’s going to care? How many players will actually participate instead of opting out? This conference is a joke and embarrassment. Not only has it been forever surpassed by the AAC, but the sun belt will soon eclipse the MWC, if it hasn’t already.

8 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

The stadium is actually ON the Cal State Dominguez Hills campus.

This little advertised factoid may be part of the answer.

Maybe we got a sweetheart deal?

I thought that too, but when I looked it up, they have no ownership in those facilities (tennis court and arena included).  But maybe parking?  Really, I think it is the closest stadium (in America) that is right-sized for this scenario.  It is making the best out of the situation, and the end result of a new stadium for Aztec football (and hopefully HS playoffs and other events for the City) justifies the means.

1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

They tried to increase fees back when I went to school there. The students shot it down then and the culture is more anti athletes at this point so zero shot the students would approve it. Now granted they could force an increase on students but an increase large enough to fund football (plus other women's sports that would need to be added) and the students revolt. I mean that would probably be $100 semester fee + maybe $50 per summer session. That would add like 9 mil to the athletic budget.  

We were probably there at the same time. I remember that. 

There has to be a return on investment too. I doubt Long Beach football would be anything other than a money pit, and the CSUs do not see athletics as core to their mission.

1 hour ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

But my point was that there is no need for the word “if“ because they will not play spring football. It is not going to happen. 100%. I guarantee it. Who are they going to play, each other? For what? Who’s going to watch? Who’s going to care? How many players will actually participate instead of opting out? This conference is a joke and embarrassment. Not only has it been forever surpassed by the AAC, but the sun belt will soon eclipse the MWC, if it hasn’t already.

They’ll play a conference-only season, just like the sec and big 10.

A conference championship and maybe a bowl game against the Mac champion.

Ill watch and I think most people around here will too, despite what they’re saying now. It’s football. This country loves it too much to let the calendar dictate when they’ll watch it.

I think anybody with an nfl future will opt out. As will anyone who’s too important to the 21 season to risk. It will be a lot of freshmen and guys in tight position battles. It’ll basically be spring football but with games against actual opponents. 

We might also see a return earlier than the spring. The big ten already announced an October return. With rapid results testing available, it’s looking far more feasible.  

13 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

They’ll play a conference-only season, just like the sec and big 10.

A conference championship and maybe a bowl game against the Mac champion.

Ill watch and I think most people around here will too, despite what they’re saying now. It’s football. This country loves it too much to let the calendar dictate when they’ll watch it.

I think anybody with an nfl future will opt out. As will anyone who’s too important to the 21 season to risk. It will be a lot of freshmen and guys in tight position battles. It’ll basically be spring football but with games against actual opponents. 

We might also see a return earlier than the spring. The big ten already announced an October return. With rapid results testing available, it’s looking far more feasible.  

There will not be a spring conference only MWC season. I 100% guarantee it. There are no bowl games in the spring and no one is interested in watching the Mountain West vs the MAC (which will not be playing spring ball either). And then coming back within four months for another season. It’s not going to happen.

2 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

There will not be a spring conference only MWC season. I 100% guarantee it. There are no bowl games in the spring and no one is interested in watching the Mountain West vs the MAC (which will not be playing spring ball either). And then coming back within four months for another season. It’s not going to happen.

If there’s money to be made, there will be. This is a business. If espn is willing to pay to televise the potato bowl in April, they’ll do it. To your point about coming back in august, coaches will just dig deeper into their rosters. You won’t see the varsity team. Even still, too many people and groups benefit to not play. 

Again though, things have shifted considerably since august. The big ten is coming back next month. If they can do it, I don’t see much reason the other conferences can’t. With proper testing and protocols in place, I think we’re seeing that it can be done. 

11 minutes ago, calvegas04 said:

Lol yeah, just what all recruits want to hear 

Playing, temporarily,  in a convenient location for our LA recruits and their families to come and watch is a bad thing?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke