Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THEUniversityofNevada

Trumpism has no future in the United States of America

Conservatism, absolutely - Trumpism, no.

That's not to say that Trump has no hope of winning in November, quite to the contrary, I think his odds are better than 50/50. But if you are a die hard follower of Trump, his "style" of governance, and his twisted form of right wing populism, in the coming years you are going to either find yourself politically isolated, embittered, and frustrated - or you'll be happy but you'll be living in a country that is no longer The United States of America as we have known it over the last 244 years. The guardrails of our Constitutional Republic won't save us from what's coming.

I know! I know! "Just more partisan hyper ventilating from a 'leftist'." But these are the words I'm hearing come from the mouths of life-long conservatives, both ones I know personally, and ones who have worked in Trump's administration. 

So, vote like the future of the Republic is at stake this November, because it really is.

Sounds like a problem that’s going to take care of itself in time. No need to fret about a doomsday election for the survival of the republic.

The sun still shines. Water still tastes good. Trust me, being politically isolated isn’t the end of all things.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

26 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

That's not to say that Trump has no hope of winning in November, quite to the contrary, I think his odds are better than 50/50. But if you are a die hard follower of Trump, his "style" of governance, and his twisted form of right wing populism, in the coming years you are going to either find yourself politically isolated, embittered, and frustrated - or you'll be happy but you'll be living in a country that is no longer The United States of America as we have known it over the last 244 years. The guardrails of our Constitutional Republic won't save us from what's coming.

I know! I know! "Just more partisan hyper ventilating from a 'leftist'." But these are the words I'm hearing come from the mouths of life-long conservatives, both ones I know personally, and ones who have worked in Trump's administration. 

So, vote like the future of the Republic is at stake this November, because it really is.

level 1 Class A TDS right there. 

29 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I am old enough to remember when all the leftists said that President Bush was literally Hitler and was going to destroy our country. Or when crazy conservatives said if Obama wins in 2012 it is the end of the constitution and America. Or when the Democrats demonized Romney as a greedy corporate murderer who abused women and dogs and wanted to put African Americans back in Chains. Perhaps the problem isn't that sometimes people we don't like get elected, but rather the irresponsible hyperbole. 

1 minute ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Bidenism has a place in a AmeriKKKa

That place is in Joe's basement, hiding from debates and questions. And China also, too as well, big time future for Bidenism in China.

Quit adding KKK to everything.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, Maynard Delecto said:

Bad day? Everything ok?

Everything is fine.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

48 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sounds like a problem that’s going to take care of itself in time. No need to fret about a doomsday election for the survival of the republic.

The sun still shines. Water still tastes good. Trust me, being politically isolated isn’t the end of all things.

Will the problem take care of itself?  Again I will ask do you think the rise of an authoritarian leader is possible or are you convinced our constitutional/institutional structures are necessary and sufficient to prevent the rise of any authoritarian leader?

27 minutes ago, Bob said:

What policies of Trump's don't you like?

If he is like me, it’s not a question of Trump’s policies with the exception of immigration.  The issues lie in other areas:

1) denying rights of entry to legal residents

2) treatment of illegal residents

3) politicalization of the DOJ

4) politicalization of the DOD

5) ignoring the emoluments clause,

6) cynically using emergency powers to circumvent the power of the purse

7) painting the voting process as illegitimate

8) constant attacks on the press

9) engaging foreign governments for help in our political process

If it were just Trumps policies you would find me supporting him.  In fact, if you look back 4 years, I was pro Trump while most Trumpers on this board favored Rubio or Cruz.   But at some point, respecting the foundations of our government and institutions has to come before policy.   

So asking what policies support is entirely the wrong question.  It’s like asking what don’t you like about bathrooms and kitchens when the houses foundation is cracking and eroding.  

17 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

Oh that's good news, I'm glad. Just a little weird that someone making money from BLM ads would have a problem with me adding "KKK to everything".  I'm pretty sure those revolutionary marxist would approve.

634278051_Screenshot(115).png.ebe779cb659f81cf11915cef9a6ed24e.png

I don’t have control over the ads. 

6 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Will the problem take care of itself?  Again I will ask do you think the rise of an authoritarian leader is possible or are you convinced our constitutional/institutional structures are necessary and sufficient to prevent the rise of any authoritarian leader?

You are tiresome. Of course the constitutional structures allow for an authoritarian leader, it’s called amending the constitution to allow for that form of government. That hasn’t happened, and is nowhere near happening. The man in the White House you fear so much can’t even clear a part of the national mall of vandals and petty arsonists without the backlash scaring him. Nor is he the one calling to change the structure of government to serve his needs. Worry about those people. Hell, worry about your own governor if you are frightened about what an authoritarian government is like, he’s had a lot more to do with your life this year than anyone in Washington.

The structures are fine. It’s the dipshits running around screaming this will be the end so we must change everything to get what we want, that are the problem. There are a lot more of them than the orange idiot.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You are tiresome. Of course the constitutional structures allow for an authoritarian leader, it’s called amending the constitution to allow for that form of government. That hasn’t happened, and is nowhere near happening. The man in the White House you fear so much can’t even clear a part of the national mall of vandals and petty arsonists without the backlash scaring him. Nor is he the one calling to change the structure of government to serve his needs. Worry about those people. Hell, worry about your own governor if you are frightened about what an authoritarian government is like, he’s had a lot more to do with your life this year than anyone in Washington.

The structures are fine. It’s the dipshits running around screaming this will be the end so we must change everything to get what we want, that are the problem. There are a lot more of them than the orange idiot.

A change in the constitution would require a vote by all the states which would likely not happen so basically your position is no you don’t believe it is possible.  That the Senate and Supreme Court can not be co-opted by an authoritarian leader to allow them him/her to do whatever they please.   

By the way, the “dipshits” are only saying we need to vote Trump out of office, not changing everything. 

49 minutes ago, Bob said:

What policies of Trump's don't you like?

Policies are not what's at stake. There are no Trump policy positions that make me fear for the future of the Republic, they are by and large garden variety conservative policies. Plenty I disagree with, but nothing that I wouldn't feel could be course corrected in two years with an electoral shift in power. That's what our liberal democracy is built on. 

Donald Trump is a serial liar, a con man who mocks the disabled, veterans and women. He's a narcissist and a bully, a man with no fixed principles who has the vocabulary of an emotionally insecure nine-year-old. He's shown a willingness to subvert any government agency within his grasp to hold on to power and punish his detractors.

He's shredding norms that will have a lasting impact on the healthy function of our republic, and he's come to realize just how much of the American constitutional order is built on the honor system, and he couldn't care less about honor.

Just this year...

He's openly mused about postponing the election and acknowledged that he would de-fund the Post Office in order to prevent people from voting by mail.

He's said, over and over and over, that the election is rigged against him.

He's figured out that though he can't use the military domestically, he can send in various federal law enforcement agencies to assault protesters.

He's toyed with the idea that the opposing vice presidential nominee can't legally run for office.

He's repeatedly sided with a hostile foreign dictator over our intelligence community and bi-partisan Senate committee analysis that that dictator has attacked America's democracy and continues to attack it.

It's his willingness to do absolutely anything, especially to embrace his worst authoritarian impulses, to avoid appearing to be a loser.

3 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

You have as much control over ads as you have control over what I post.

I just think it's weird you deleted @Bob because he wasn't ad friendly, but I am ad friendly, and you're still trying to shame my takes.

Yes I commented on a single post and now I’m shaming all of your posts :rolleyes: .  I didn’t delete bob.  I just deleted one of his threads.  And I have far more control over your posts than the ads as the ads are based on browsing history.  I can simply just delete all your posts if I decided to. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Yes I commented on a single post and now I’m shaming all of your posts :rolleyes: .  I didn’t delete bob.  I just deleted one of his threads.  And I have far more control over your posts than the ads as the ads are based on browsing history.  I can simply just delete all your posts if I decided to. 

I don't know if you've noticed, but there've already been a few controversial posters no longer stirring stuff up, because I've decided to downsize my sock  operations. There's no need to be escalating with the "ahm gunna d3l373 yer azz" threats.

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

4 minutes ago, Maynard Delecto said:

I don't know if you've noticed, but there've already been a few controversial posters no longer stirring stuff up, because I've decided to downsize my sock  operations. There's no need to be escalating with the "ahm gunna d3l373 yer azz" threats.

I wasn’t threatening to delete you.  Stop being a snowflake microscope GIF