Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Stay classy. Peaceful protest?

20 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Most black people are not like this guy. However, all cops are assumed to be like Derek Chauvin By BLM which results in numerous cops getting gunned down. Where does the hate stop? 

And you would agree that's idiotic, incorrect and highly destructive, so why paint black people or even the entire BLM movement with the same logic?

"Justice" for Breonna Taylor?

Not really but at least it's an admission of wrong doing...

Breonna Taylor’s Family to Receive $12 Million Settlement From City of Louisville

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/us/breonna-taylor-settlement-louisville.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200915&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=68276061&segment_id=38115&user_id=442314cd6078ede4140d9fc3361131eb

12 hours ago, gold-n-brown said:

You know why.

You can always find one crazy guy on any side of the aisle to paint a broad stroke of any group of people.

There's more than just one "crazy guy" in that video alone. There's one guy in the back ground laughing, another saying "this is the only justice we're going to get" and several with their phone out to get video. Not a single person goes to help. It's disgusting.

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

And you would agree that's idiotic, incorrect and highly destructive, so why paint black people or even the entire BLM movement with the same logic?

because he's trying to be an asshole, that's what he likes to do, thinks it's macho

On 9/14/2020 at 4:42 AM, NorCalCoug said:

A fact rather than emotion based perspective shows that these events are extremely rare.  The number of “bad” cops committing these acts is a pretty small % of the 800K or so in this country.

There are ~1,000 (conservative estimate) uses of lethal force by police each year.  Even if EVERY LAST ONE of these cases represented an unjustifiable use of lethal force and EVERY LAST ONE of the cops who used the lethal force was a “bad” cop that equates to a 0.125% “bad rate”.  Of course, we know that’s not the case and that not all of those ~1,000 uses of lethal force are of the “bad” variety, making an already extremely small % even smaller.  But folks like @IanforHeismanonly make emotion based arguments using words like “countless” to overstate the issue.  

But your point is valid, people on both sides want the same thing - accountability and justice when events like this occur.  There’s more common ground than not.

I acknowledge that the vast majority of police encounters are without incident, however only talking about the use of lethal force is a most incomplete way to understand the effects of police misconduct.  All the times people are punched, kicked, pulled over, have guns pulled on them, doors kicked in, houses upended....those don't become statistics in most cases.

22 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

It’s why I don’t buy into the notion that the “vast majority are complicit with their silence”.  All I see to support that reasoning is conjecture and anecdotes.  The vast majority of cops have no exposure to incidents of this nature at a local level throughout an entire career.

Very true.  Most cops will never actually experience what some officers go through.  My small town has some issues, but nothing that seems to change their mental mindframe like what I hear from my friends working in the crime areas in inner cities and some rural areas.  Anecdotal will likely be all you ever get.  But my examples come from a mix of officers and where they work out of, their tenure and their experiences.  So while I wouldn't go with that as saying there is a majority, I know these folks enough to see that it is there, and these are good people.  Just a tough job, and they defend it.

14 minutes ago, toonkee said:

See the source image

Firstly, I do not lump brutal, defective cops with all cops, so miss me with that. 

Secondly, cops are not a race of people. They are part of an organization that's entrusted to enforce the laws. Their organization can be criticized differently from race issues.

51x8kumftVL._AC_SS350_.jpg
That was not for you.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I acknowledge that the vast majority of police encounters are without incident, however only talking about the use of lethal force is a most incomplete way to understand the effects of police misconduct.  All the times people are punched, kicked, pulled over, have guns pulled on them, doors kicked in, houses upended....those don't become statistics in most cases.

v0icAvfW.jpg

41 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I don't think this is the touche moment you are looking for. He's explaining how black people, not all people, not white people, should navigate a police encounter so they don't get the shit beat out of them, sometimes for offenses like jumping a turnstile.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I don't think this is the touche moment you are looking for. He's explaining how black people, not all people, not white people, should navigate a police encounter so they don't get the shit beat out of them, sometimes for offenses like jumping a turnstile.

Get off your self-righteous soapbox. 

v0icAvfW.jpg