Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Voter ID, Suppression & Racism

You need an ID for just about anything you want to do. I can’t imagine there are very many adults that don’t have some form of ID. 

For those that don’t have ID it’s pretty easy to get an ID which is free for those in need in most states. 

To get a mail in vote, Idaho requires some form of ID. Not sure about other states. 

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t know. Why do you need an ID for all these things?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/24-things-that-require-a-photo-id

Well that’s a pretty terrible reason to make a new law. Do you have any good arguments for voter ID? 

4 hours ago, youngredbullfan said:

No, I’m suggesting that voter suppression is provably true. 

The video above is misleading in that it is edited to give an impression about a large group of people by finding, editing, and proctoring certain responses to cast them a certain way. Same as videos “interviewing” the dumbest tea partiers and Trump voters. Engage ideologies on their merits, not stupid propaganda videos. 

Are you suggesting that voter suppression is done through requiring an ID to vote then?

This is BS.

But to be honest and unfortunately the Republican Party does have a number of racist people. I don’t like and don’t want to be associated with those people. But the Democrat party also has a number of racist individuals and probably just as many if not more than the Republican party. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

I don’t have an issue with voter ID laws but if we are going to enact them then we need to provide voter identification to everybody at the cost of the taxpayer otherwise it will be considered a poll tax and unconstitutional.  You can’t charge people to exercise their right to vote. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Are you suggesting that voter suppression is done through requiring an ID to vote then?

No. I think it's a battlefield that ironically doesn't really affect voting. 

I'm more concerned about racially-biased redistricting, poll closures, and other shenanigans done at the state level.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

So, why do we need a voter ID law? Just making new laws just cause? 

Republicans think it's a way to get less people to vote, and to screen out voters who wouldn't vote for them. I think it doesn't matter either way.

Voter fraud is not a real problem.

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

9 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Ridiculing the messenger indicates you have nothing. You are the one who is stupid beyond belief.  Editing doesn't necessarily mean misrepresentation.  Your view is repugnant, that inferior people are incapable of taking responsibility for their own lives. You need ID to do many adult activities. The court cases are all about eliminating the ID requirement and liberal condescending judges are more than willing to push this scam on our democracy.  

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

When the lefty’s have no answer to the video, they often quickly try to change the subject into a direction where they have a little ammo.

We’re specifically talking about the voter suppression myth that the left pushes regarding many blacks not being able to provide a simple state photo ID. The blacks in the Bronx that were interviewed said that they didn’t know of anyone that doesn’t have one. So that’s a rather decent number of people for a sample. They also concurred that you have to carry an ID just to get around a big city like NY. Your excuse that the video is edited is baseless. As they said, you can’t get around NYC without a photo ID. So there will be very, very few people that don’t have an ID. Nice try. 

1. The video is an edited misrepresentation, and a stupid means by which to understand the world around you. 

2. Voter suppression is real.

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well that’s a pretty terrible reason to make a new law. Do you have any good arguments for voter ID? 

Integrity of and confidence in elections.

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, youngredbullfan said:

Republicans think it's a way to get less people to vote, and to screen out voters who wouldn't vote for them. I think it doesn't matter either way.

There are legitimately people who don't a standard ID, just because their poor, can't get off to work, have to pay to travel to the registration place etc.   In many states it actually is a huge ordeal.  Whether or not this affects any particular party probably depends on where you live.   That's why people think it's suppression.  I think if it were easier to get your ID, people could be convinced to be for it.  How we can't solve this problem with technology is also baffling to me.

49 minutes ago, WAC_FAN said:

There are legitimately people who don't a standard ID, just because their poor, can't get off to work, have to pay to travel to the registration place etc.   In many states it actually is a huge ordeal.  Whether or not this affects any particular party probably depends on where you live.   That's why people think it's suppression.  I think if it were easier to get your ID, people could be convinced to be for it.  How we can't solve this problem with technology is also baffling to me.

Yeah, in rural, poor areas this could be a thing. The Bronx, not so much.