Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Life wing environmentalists destroying California’s forest

3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

There's 5 times the fuel in CA forests than there was 100 years ago. Climate change isn't why the fires are so big and out of control. It might have a slight impact with temperature, but not much else. Other forests that are managed right don't have these probelms. 

You're welcome to join the conversation in the Forest Management thread and give your ideas on how to cut into that fuel backlog. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

This pretty much sums it up. Gov. Loverboy got some experts in March to give him advice on what needs to be done to prevent massive out of control fires. He got his answers and to do it, he had to declare an emergency to be able to bypass all the fvcked up environmental wacko laws that have caused this in the first place. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Well how sweet of you. I'll get on my best suit, and be there in a jiffy. 

I doubt it, because blaming Democrats and Antifa makes you feel better. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

I doubt it, because blaming Democrats and Antifa makes you feel better. 

I'm not blaming ANTIFA for forest fires. The fire problem isn't all the fault of the Dems, but a lot of it is. There's so many reasons, as well. CAL Fire is so backlogged on preventative measures at countless forest locations, and the reason is not enough money to fund it. Now how in the world could CA be having money problems with all the great Dem decision making in Sacramento for decades? But there's plenty of money to offer all illegal aliens healthcare coverage, etc. If CA was left on its own to be a country, it would immediately collapse into a 3rd world country in no time at all. 

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

I'm not blaming ANTIFA for forest fires. The fire problem isn't all the fault of the Dems, but a lot of it is. There's so many reasons, as well. CAL Fire is so backlogged on preventative measures at countless forest locations, and the reason is not enough money to fund it. Now how in the world could CA be having money problems with all the great Dem decision making in Sacramento for decades? But there's plenty of money to offer all illegal aliens healthcare coverage, etc. If CA was left on its own to be a country, it would immediately collapse into a 3rd world country in no time at all. 

Why is it California's responsibility to manage federal forests? Cal Fire spent $3 billion in 2018, largely in national forests, on fire management. The USFS spent $300 million. Maybe we should sue the federal government for not raking their leaves.

Anyways, you're interested in fighting over culture war bullshit while children burn to death in trucks. You're much more of the problem than Gavin Newsom. 

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Why is it California's responsibility to manage federal forests? Cal Fire spent $3 billion in 2018, largely in national forests, on fire management. The USFS spent $300 million. Maybe we should sue the federal government for not raking their leaves.

Anyways, you're interested in fighting over culture war bullshit while children burn to death in trucks. You're much more of the problem than Gavin Newsom. 

You don't understand what's going on. CAL Fire is only responsible for private land fire fighting and prevention. Guess what? Developed area prevention and fire fighting are infinitely more expensive than open land management with almost no structures or development. Duh. With CA declaring wilderness areas and doing whatever they can to limit and keep people out of the forest fvcking it up, that means there aren't access roads to get ground crews to fight fires on federal land. You can't do everything in the air. It's not just a dollar amount comparison. The Feds have their hands tied on plenty of things because of what CA does around the Fed land. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

ProPublica: They Know How to Prevent Megafires. Why Won’t Anybody Listen?.
https://www.propublica.org/article/they-know-how-to-prevent-megafires-why-wont-anybody-listen#992135

Very good article on forest management re: fire in california. 

I'd be Interested in thoughts from @halfmanhalfbronco . But everyone else who is saying forest management is the thing we need to do should read it so they at least sort of know what they're talking about. 

Good, yes, but I have to take issue with the following: Cal Fire pays firefighters well, very well. (And perversely well compared with the thousands of California Department of Corrections inmates who serve on fire crews, which is very much a different story.)

The writer seems to think that firefighters are overpaid. Well, one of my best friends at SDSU is no longer among the living because he died of lung cancer after three decades of fighting not just structure fires but brush fires all over the western US. As to what the state pays inmates for doing that work, I'm becoming more and more annoyed with how the media all of a sudden seems to view convicted felons as being severely mistreated.

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

You don't understand what's going on. CAL Fire is only responsible for private land fire fighting and prevention. Guess what? Developed area prevention and fire fighting are infinitely more expensive than open land management with almost no structures or development. Duh. With CA declaring wilderness areas and doing whatever they can to limit and keep people out of the forest fvcking it up, that means there aren't access roads to get ground crews to fight fires on federal land. You can't do everything in the air. It's not just a dollar amount comparison. The Feds have their hands tied on plenty of things because of what CA does around the Fed land. 

Have you even been to a national forest in California?

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Good, yes, but I have to take issue with the following: Cal Fire pays firefighters well, very well. (And perversely well compared with the thousands of California Department of Corrections inmates who serve on fire crews, which is very much a different story.)

The writer seems to think that firefighters are overpaid. Well, one of my best friends at SDSU is no longer among the living because he died of lung cancer after three decades of fighting not just structure fires but brush fires all over the western US. As to what the state pays inmates for doing that work, I'm becoming more and more annoyed with how the media all of a sudden seems to view convicted felons as being severely mistreated.

Compensation for firefighters is a reasonable debate. But I'll say this as someone who has been around the public employee compensation debate a whole lot... public safety workers (fire, police) often complain at the same time that they don't get paid enough, but that when it's pointed out that they get paid a lot saying that they deserve to get paid a lot because their job is hazardous. 

But I think the main reason for pointing out the pay in this instance is to suggest that spending the money on fire prevention measures and making forests resilient is more efficient than paying to stop them and clean them up once they rage out of control. By its nature, if there are fewer catastrophic wildfires, there is less money needed to throw bodies in front of them to try and stop them. 

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

That's an opinion piece, not a policy paper. So it's not clear what stopped any of those bills, if they were even stopped in the first place.

Also, one of those bills they "they" prevented was introduced by Diane Feinstein.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:07 PM, Rebels18 said:

"We cannot confirm or deny any political affiliation or connection to ANTIFA"---

But

His record indicates also previously arrested  for violence participating in an ANTIFA with possession of a concealed weapon, knife, and fireworks. 

Regardless of how the media wants to report this...I'll let you be the judge of his political affiliation.

You, like the rest of Trumpistan are so driven to prove that Antifa is the primary source of social unrest, that like our Exec Branch, you fail to heed DoJ and FBI warnings that RW terrorism is a bigger threat.

Seriously dude, you've been blowing a cork for several pages now. Take a monster bong hit and watch some NBA.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

5 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You, like the rest of Trumpistan are so driven to prove that Antifa is the primary source of social unrest, that like our Exec Branch, you fail to heed DoJ and FBI warnings that RW terrorism is a bigger threat.

Seriously dude, you've been blowing a cork for several pages now. Take a monster bong hit and watch some NBA.

I second the motion!

:cheers:  :hookah:

On 9/13/2020 at 4:30 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Would anybody be shocked if some fires were started by political extremists? 

No

Americans Mayor

On 9/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, NVGiant said:

Hard to know for sure. The dude that started the fire near Medford seems like just a local methhead. Probably not politically motivated, but wouldn’t surprise me if others are. 

Used to be you could count on an out of work firefighter sparking one of these every now and again. But that isn’t a problem anymore.

i also wouldn’t be surprised to learn that at least a few fires were started by campers. Forests are packed this year with inexperienced campers getting outdoors because of Covid. I know Deschutes NF Rangers reported a couple of weeks ago that they had put out something like 200 unattended campfires this summer. With conditions as they are, it wouldn’t take much for one of those to get out of control.

Finally, a sane rational post on this thread.

Americans Mayor