Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

Life wing environmentalists destroying California’s forest

On 9/14/2020 at 9:36 AM, Bob said:

Newsom admitted that greater than 90% of fires are human-caused, then he berates the world and states 'climate change' caused the fires. It's almost like he has no clue what he's talking about.

No, he's saying climate change has exacerbated the fire conditions. In case you haven't noticed, but the western US has been in a mega drought for close to fifty years.

To claim it's the fault of the Dems is either phucking Stoooopid or disingenuine.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

27 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

You, like the rest of Trumpistan are so driven to prove that Antifa is the primary source of social unrest, that like our Exec Branch, you fail to heed DoJ and FBI warnings that RW terrorism is a bigger threat.

Seriously dude, you've been blowing a cork for several pages now. Take a monster bong hit and watch some NBA.

Riiight, because right-wing terrorists have been torching buildings and causing outright chaos in major cities for 100+ days straight now...But hey, any excuse for losers like you to not go to work, right? It's so inexplicable to believe they could be torching anything else with their molotov cocktails...even with the 10+links I posted busting arsonists all over California and the pacific northwest... Just a coincidence I'm sure..:rolleyes: Doesn't bother me personally because Vegas is unaffected, but I do feel bad for the dozens of small-business owners who had their livelihoods torched by a domestic terrorists that myopic liberals pretend doesn't exist despite dozens and dozens of documented incidents of arson, assault, looting/destruction of property etc.  But again, you don't feel bad because you're a loser who has never owned a business and could never understand what it feels like to have hard work burned to the ground. Keep hitting that bong though, underachiever. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

15 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Riiight, because right-wing terrorists have been torching buildings and causing outright chaos in major cities for 100+ days straight now...But hey, any excuse for losers like you to not go to work, right? It's so inexplicable to believe they could be torching anything else with their molotov cocktails...even with the 10+links I posted busting arsonists all over California and the pacific northwest... Just a coincidence I'm sure..:rolleyes: Doesn't bother me personally because Vegas is unaffected, but I do feel bad for the dozens of small-business owners who had their livelihoods torched by a domestic terrorists that myopic liberals pretend doesn't exist despite dozens and dozens of documented incidents of arson, assault, looting/destruction of property etc.  But again, you don't feel bad because you're a loser who has never owned a business and could never understand what it feels like to have hard work burned to the ground. Keep hitting that bong though, underachiever. 

They exist. And there are extremists on both sides who are involved in rioting, shootings, vandalism, etc,

Yet, you keep pointing the finger at Antifa.

Americans Mayor

On 9/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, Nevada Convert said:

There's 5 times the fuel in CA forests than there was 100 years ago. Climate change isn't why the fires are so big and out of control. It might have a slight impact with temperature, but not much else. Other forests that are managed right don't have these probelms. 

So what's the Fed doing to manage these lands. They are the biggest public landlord in the State.

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

They exist. And there are extremists on both sides who are involved in rioting, shootings, vandalism, etc,

Yet, you keep pointing the finger at Antifa.

This just simply isn't true. Where is the right-wing vandalism, rioting etc tearing cities apart like what ANTIFA/BLM is doing? Republicans go to work--they don't have time for this nonsense. So yes, I point the finger at your little terrorist friends you strangely defend. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, Bob said:

No it hasn't. You're an ignorant sheep if you think this. IIRC three of the past five years CA has had above average precipitation.

Above average precipitation and the resulting plant growth followed by excessive prolonged heat makes fire danger worse you idiot.  

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

7 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Above average precipitation and the resulting plant growth followed by excessive prolonged heat makes fire danger worse you idiot.  

Yup. Even during normal to above average precip years, conditions are even worse if the fire season starts in July and ends in December and the snowpack is moving upwards in elevation. Even in these last couple years when we've had normal-to-above-avg precip, we've also had record dry winter months So it will rain in December and basically dry out in January and then rain again in February and March and that's it. Not exactly a great recipe for fire resilience. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

17 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Double Think

image.png.9badc3073a1c3f569c41e342ba8c024e.png

You know why those trees died, right? (hint: It's not cold, wet winters)

And you know who introduced bills to clear out a lot of those trees, right? (hint: its not a republican)

I wouldn't be shocked if logging lobbyists got GOP legislators to kill bills to increase forest management because they didn't get every little thing they wanted. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

To the extent Trump has been saying that failing to remove underbrush has contributed to the ferocity of the fires, he appears to be correct. However, to the extent he thinks clear cutting is the proper procedure for doing so, the science suggests otherwise. No better example than Europe. For hundreds of years it was thought that trees could be clear cut over vast acreage to provide fire wood and the forest would simply grown back over time to what it once had been. That proved to be a mistaken belief and now Europe has only about half the forest area it once did.

If underbrush is selectively burned while mature trees are still healthy, they will be injured but will survive and come back. However, American loggers didn't want to do that because it requires more effort. Thinking it wouldn't matter was the same naivete as not employing crop rotation for agriculture.

39 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

To the extent Trump has been saying that failing to remove underbrush has contributed to the ferocity of the fires, he appears to be correct. However, to the extent he thinks clear cutting is the proper procedure for doing so, the science suggests otherwise. No better example than Europe. For hundreds of years it was thought that trees could be clear cut over vast acreage to provide fire wood and the forest would simply grown back over time to what it once had been. That proved to be a mistaken belief and now Europe has only about half the forest area it once did.

If underbrush is selectively burned while mature trees are still healthy, they will be injured but will survive and come back. However, American loggers didn't want to do that because it requires more effort. Thinking it wouldn't matter was the same naivete as not employing crop rotation for agriculture.

The lion’s share of the fires are in National Forests over which California has no control. If Trump feels so strongly about forest management I suggest he should do something about it. 

On 9/12/2020 at 10:51 PM, renoskier said:

What's a "life wing"?

Big Bird GIF - BigBird SesameStreet TheFuck - Discover & Share GIFs

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

This fire season isn’t particularly bad if you look at historical records, moron

You’re wrong. At 3.4 million acres, the area burned in California is almost double the 2018 record of 1.9 million acres, and it’s still early in the season.  

13 minutes ago, Bob said:

This fire season isn’t particularly bad if you look at historical records, moron

The fire season is far, far from over and just ramping up.  You are just looking at square acres burned which does not tell a fraction of the story.  Even with favorable weather, this season will crack top 3 in acreage burned by years end this decade.  With unfavorable weather, it could be #1 with ease.  Acreage burned does not tell the entire story though.  Which acreages are burning, damages to structures and lives lost all factor in.

10 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Welcome back to the show. :cheers:

Just a quick drive-by. I find day-to-day life in these times is a lot easier without a steady diet of some of the wingnuts on here. 

1 minute ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Just a quick drive-by. I find day-to-day life in these times is a lot easier without a steady diet of some of the wingnuts on here. 

Yeah. I understand. I should probably do the same. Sure was better around here with you around, though. I hope you are well.

3 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Yeah. I understand. I should probably do the same. Sure was better around here with you around, though. I hope you are well.

I'm as good as can be expected. Retired into White Privilege!  Doing a little consulting. Not seeing my grandchildren nearly as much as I would like. Overall though very fortunate.