Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Trump administration secretly withheld millions from FDNY 9/11 health program

The Trump administration has secretly siphoned nearly $4 million away from a program that tracks and treats FDNY firefighters and medics suffering from 9/11 related illnesses, the Daily News has learned.

The Treasury Department mysteriously started withholding parts of payments — nearly four years ago — meant to cover medical services for firefighters, emergency medical technicians and paramedics treated by the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program, documents obtained by The News reveal.

The payments were authorized and made by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, which oversees the program. But instead of sending the funds to the city, the Treasury started keeping some of the money.

“This was just disappearing,” the program’s director, Dr. David Prezant, told The News. “This is the most amazing thing. This was disappearing — without any notification.”

Prezant said he was docked about half a million dollars each year in 2016 and 2017. Then it crept up to about $630,000 in 2018 and 2019. This year, Treasury has nearly tripled its extractions, diverting $1.447 million through late August, according to Prezant.

“Here we have sick World Trade Center-exposed firefighters and EMS workers, at a time when the city is having difficult financial circumstances due to COVID-19, and we’re not getting the money we need to be able to treat these heroes,” said Prezant, the FDNY’s Chief Medical Officer.

“And for years, they wouldn’t even tell us — we never ever received a letter telling us this,” he explained.

Prezant was never able to get an explanation from NIOSH or the mammoth Department of Health and Human Services which has the agency under its umbrella.

After years of complaining, Prezant did get a partial answer when Long Island Republican Rep. Pete King put his political weight behind the inquiry. That answer was that some other agency in the city has been in an unrelated feud with the feds over Medicare bills.

For some reason, Treasury decided to stiff the FDNY. Neither the Treasury Department nor the White House answered requests for comment.

King said whatever the circumstance is that forces a premier program for sick 9/11 first responders to go begging for help on the eve on the 19th anniversary of the attack — it has to end.

“It’s disgraceful,” King said.

“I don’t even care what the details of this thing is. That fund has to be fully compensated, fully reimbursed. I mean, this is absurd,” he said. “If anyone were true American heroes, it was the cops and firemen on 9/11, especially the firemen, and for even $1 to be being held back is absolutely indefensible.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-fdny-911-health-program-treasury-20200910-s7yam67j6vhmhbdzg6ordanfdm-story.html

What the actual +++++ing +++++? Absolutely mind-boggling that it would happen, and then inexcusable that Mnuchin refused to even respond to a member of his own party about it. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Trump is mean. I hate Trump. Blah,blah, blah, blah, blah

I highly doubt Trump even knew about it. This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that this is +++++ed the +++++ up.

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Trump is mean. I hate Trump. Blah,blah, blah, blah, blah

1 hour ago, Blue voodoo said:

If I had a dollar for every time someone said it's trump fault I would be rich.Never seen anyone thrown under the bus like he has,must be doing something right.

Just to be clear.  You are OK with this?

Just now, azgreg said:

It's my guess that he doesn't believe any of it is true.

And this is the issue.  It's not about "Teams and Shit", it is about what is this right or wrong.  Unfortunately, I will get a response that does not address the topic and resorts to name calling.  Wonder where that tactic was taught and learned?

Phucking Rat Bastards

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor