Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fowl

28 Years Ago Tonight

Marshall Faulk ran for 299 yards and SDSU beat #25 BYU in Provo 45-38 in front of 65,261.  Used to love those WAC Thursday night games on ESPN.  Over 1,000 yards of combined offense which back then was unheard of.  @#1Stunner Hopefully the MW starts up and we can play our game this season.

Guest #1Stunner
11 minutes ago, Fowl said:

Marshall Faulk ran for 299 yards and SDSU beat #25 BYU in Provo 45-38 in front of 65,261.  Used to love those WAC Thursday night games on ESPN.  Over 1,000 yards of combined offense which back then was unheard of.  @#1Stunner Hopefully the MW starts up and we can play our game this season.

Marshall Fall is maybe the greatest running back in WAC history.

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

And he was originally supposed to be a LB. He would’ve been a great Safety in the middle that would move up and be a hybrid S/LB with the right defensive scheme.

kat.jpg

I miss those old WAC games where 70 total points was practically guaranteed. I'm happy that the last WAC game I ever saw in person ended with 95 total points and 1,151 total yards. 

RIP WAC football. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

42 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

It would be him or Tomlinson right? No one else is in the ballpark I would think.

Two of the top 10 running backs of all time.  Arguably the two best pass catching running backs of all time as well.  Nobody else is in the ball park.

I will plug Ajayi and Pump though for honorable mention.  While not in the WAC, Pumphery's college career was in the same realm, even statistically superior.  Just did not have an NFL skill set comparable to two all time NFL greats.  Ajayi's last season of 2358 yards from scrimmage and 32 TD's was comparable to any season by LT or Faulk.  Penny's senior season is up there as well.  Pump just did not have the top end, world class, generational talent of those two and Ajayi only had the knees to play at an elite level for a few years, two of which were in college.  

LT, Faulk and Peterson are the best RB's in my lifetime.

8 hours ago, NVGiant said:

It would be him or Tomlinson right? No one else is in the ballpark I would think.

I remember Tomlinson dropping 406 on UTEP in 1999...back when UTEP had a pulse.  1st time any back cracked 400.  The next year wasnt as good - he only got 305.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

36 minutes ago, RSF said:

I remember Tomlinson dropping 406 on UTEP in 1999...back when UTEP had a pulse.  1st time any back cracked 400.  The next year wasnt as good - he only got 305.

When he came to Reno, he didn’t have nearly the stats. He rushed for 176 yards and 3 TDs ... then sat out the second half.

7 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Two of the top 10 running backs of all time.  Arguably the two best pass catching running backs of all time as well.  Nobody else is in the ball park.

I will plug Ajayi and Pump though for honorable mention.  While not in the WAC, Pumphery's college career was in the same realm, even statistically superior.  Just did not have an NFL skill set comparable to two all time NFL greats.  Ajayi's last season of 2358 yards from scrimmage and 32 TD's was comparable to any season by LT or Faulk.  Penny's senior season is up there as well.  Pump just did not have the top end, world class, generational talent of those two and Ajayi only had the knees to play at an elite level for a few years, two of which were in college.  

If we’re just talking WAC, I’d think Doug Martin would be up there, too.

LT and Faulk were next level guys though. Both generational-type talents.

9 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Don't know how old you are but Barry Sanders belongs at the top of that group.  IMO he was the best running back ever.

7 hours ago, RSF said:

LT came to The Fort and did basically nothing.

Of course that was his frosh year and spent the game on the sideline, but by God he did no damage to our stellar defense.

20 hours ago, Fowl said:

I watch the game in the dorms at Hutch community college. The lobby was pack with people watching the game. Surprisingly they were cheering for SDSU. WAC football games were always the on in the main lobby on Thursday night. BYU/SDSU was standing room only. 

ESPN Thursday night was huge for the WAC. Plus we were the only conference playing modern football at the time. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.