Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Woodward book: Trump says he knew coronavirus was ‘deadly’ and worse than the flu while intentionally misleading Americans

15 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

the guy is literally one of the most thoughtful and well read and well experienced posters on this board and you think his posting intentions are about you?

come on, man...

That particular post of his certainly was. 

I'm fine with people throwing shots. It was just obnoxiously long winded. 

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Do any of you guys actually think that the number of deaths would be different if another man were president?

I don't think the difference would be as drastic as people are saying.  But we have other data points based on how other countries are doing and how their governments handled it:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Just eyeballing it, there's a loose correlation between how seriously a country took it and how many deaths they had.

16 minutes ago, Bob said:

Do any of you guys actually think that the number of deaths would be different if another man were president?

Yes. How many is an unanswerable question at this point, but it’s clear that inept leadership has been part of the problem, and that starts at the top.

At the very least, clear, honest leadership wouldn't have convinced many that this was just the flu.

And on March 19, as the virus was exploding, Trump told Woodward: “To be honest with you...I wanted to always play it down. I still want to play it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.”

“We don’t want to instill panic. We don’t want to jump up and down” and “scare everybody,” he said, adding: “The last thing you want to do is create a panic in the country.” Trump said he was “very open” with Woodward and anybody else.

Trump specifically said he wanted to keep the calm and not create chaos about it.  As much as you want to pretend Trump lied about it, he created a Pres. Task force on Jan 29 and he banned travel from China on Jan 31 and setup quarantine's for people coming from China.  
On Feb. 1 the US had 8 known cases.  At that time it did not look like it was going to be as bad and we were already taking steps to prevent it spreading.  The thing is more people had it than was known.  
Trump could not have shutdown the country in Feb. as it would take every governor and congress as well to actually put something like that into effect.  Trump shouldn't have downplayed it at all, but neither should have the Dems at that time who even called what things he did do as xenophobic etc.  

6 minutes ago, pokerider said:

And on March 19, as the virus was exploding, Trump told Woodward: “To be honest with you...I wanted to always play it down. I still want to play it down, because I don’t want to create a panic.”

“We don’t want to instill panic. We don’t want to jump up and down” and “scare everybody,” he said, adding: “The last thing you want to do is create a panic in the country.” Trump said he was “very open” with Woodward and anybody else.

Trump specifically said he wanted to keep the calm and not create chaos about it.  As much as you want to pretend Trump lied about it, he created a Pres. Task force on Jan 29 and he banned travel from China on Jan 31 and setup quarantine's for people coming from China.  
On Feb. 1 the US had 8 known cases.  At that time it did not look like it was going to be as bad and we were already taking steps to prevent it spreading.  The thing is more people had it than was known.  
Trump could not have shutdown the country in Feb. as it would take every governor and congress as well to actually put something like that into effect.  Trump shouldn't have downplayed it at all, but neither should have the Dems at that time who even called what things he did do as xenophobic etc.  

I love it when politicians outright lie to prevent us from making decisions on real information. Especially one as calm and rational as the president, who in no way would ever stoke fear in his supporters.

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

It was just obnoxiously long winded. 

thank-you-meme-puppy.jpg?fit=498,462&ssl

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

46 minutes ago, Bob said:

You’re phukking joking right..

There’s already countless news stories on people who believed the virus was a hoax because of Trump and lived recklessly and died..

1 hour ago, AndroidAggie said:

oh it was not

They say the Jet's lost a step or two...

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

35 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Trump could not have shutdown the country in Feb. as it would take every governor and congress as well to actually put something like that into effect. 
Trump shouldn't have downplayed it at all, but neither should have the Dems at that time who even called what things he did do as xenophobic etc.  

Isn't this what people are upset about?  The actual President.  Of the United States.  Downplayed a virus.  Folks can use all the "But the dems..." comments, and they are true.  But the dems are not the President.  The President has both real and symbolic powers as the leader of the US, and he was wrong in how he used them here.  No more, no less.

2 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

not those feet in those shoes.   not the one who called us back from watching the fireworks during our only night game of the summer.

benny-the-sandlot.jpg

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

:lol:

L.O.L. Tucker Carlson throws Lindsay Graham under the bus using the well worn Glenn Beck technique of “I’m not a conspiracy theorist, I’m just ‘asking questions’”

This after Tucker flew to Mar-a-Lago on March 7th to warn Trump to take the Coronavirus more seriously. Does he tell he audience this? No, he throws the most spineless, sold-his-soul-for-imaginary-access Trump sycophant Lindsay Graham under the bus!