Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronco7454

After thrashing a truly awful NAVY team B.Y.U. has

5 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

After thrashing a truly awful NAVY team B.Y.U. has now declared themselves to be the 2020 NCAA Div. I football champions with a 1-0 record.

Memphis and SMU are also 1-0.  It’s going to be interesting to see them sort out the playoff contenders this year as there won’t be nearly as many OOC games and few are playing a full schedule. 

16 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It has been a challenge, considering BYU is the only team in the Western United States still playing.

Well, they're not, but that's ok.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
14 minutes ago, RSF said:

Well, they're not, but that's ok.

OK.  If you insist on counting Air Force's 2 games against Navy and Army as a team playing this season, more power to you.

But other than that, the MWC and PAC12 aren't playing this fall. (obviously).  So BYU has no available teams to schedule in its region.  Including Big Sky (FCS).

No one really considers the BIG12 as part of the West. 

Map_of_USA_highlighting_West.png

Guest #1Stunner
13 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Are they getting any home games?

BYU has 5 home games scheduled and 3 away games scheduled.

My guess is that BYU is looking for 2 additional away games, for a 10 game season. 

28 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

OK.  If you insist on counting Air Force's 2 games against Navy and Army as a team playing this season, more power to you.

But other than that, the MWC and PAC12 aren't playing this fall. (obviously).  So BYU has no available teams to schedule in its region.  Including Big Sky (FCS).

No one really considers the BIG12 as part of the West. 

Didnt have either in mind.

But the other team in the West already has 12 games scheduled.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, RSF said:

Didnt have either in mind.

But the other team in the West already has 12 games scheduled.

You still pretending that the University of Texas El Paso is in the "West"?   LOL   

They are in Texas.  (spare me the mountain time zone angle).

They don't have a single western team in the entire conference.   Their entire conference is all Texas schools, and Southeast schools.  

CUSA-Map.png?fit=730,405&ssl=1

Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write: I feel sorry for BYU fans.

First, they have a really good team this year - maybe their best since 84? I’ll leave that argument to the old timers but what I saw yesterday wasn’t just a bad navy team; the cougars are fast, physical, and have straight maulers up front - and their original schedule that they were supposed to play would have put them to the test against good competition. If they could have come out of that with 10+ wins, they’d have had a real argument for the ny6 bowl. 

Covid has ruined everything and 2020 is a monster. No one is immune. 

2 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

After thrashing a truly awful NAVY team B.Y.U. has now declared themselves to be the 2020 NCAA Div. I football champions with a 1-0 record.

Since you brought it up:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/09/college-football-playoff-chances-predictor-ucf-texas-clemson

These 10 teams have the best College Football Playoff chances (and UCF fans will be happy)

GTY-1069243256.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
headshot.jpg?w=48&h=48
September 8, 2020 10:15 am

We’re not expecting anything about the 2020 college football season to look or feel normal, including the fact that Week 1 is in the books and not every team has played yet — excluding those that have opted out of the season because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

But without fail, the teams with the best chances of making the College Football Playoff this year — which will still happen as long as the season continues — feature some familiar faces. And that’s even without the Big Ten or Pac-12, which are hoping to play a football season at some point in 2021 (or maybe sooner).

So even though it’s ridiculously early in this strange football season, here’s a look at the four teams with the best chances to make the College Football Playoff after Week 1, according to ESPN’s Playoff Predictor, which considers the same factors the playoff committee does. These teams are used to being among those with at least the top-5 best chances, so they’re hardly surprises, even if they have yet to play a game.

1. Clemson Tigers

Playoff: 88 percent
National championship game: 63.5 percent
Win championship: 41.3 percent

First game: At Wake Forest (Saturday, 7:30 p.m. ET)

10. BYU Cougars

Playoff: 8.3 percent
National championship game: 1.3 percent
Win championship: 0.3 percent

First game: W vs. Navy, 55-3

After dominating Navy, BYU jumped 57 spots with its playoff chances, surely aided by the lack of Big Ten and Pac-12 programs. Teams that missed being among the top-10 include Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Louisville.

As ESPN previously noted, its Playoff Predictor is based on factors such as strength of record, number of losses, conference championships, the Football Power Index and the selection committee’s past behavior.

5 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Here’s a sentence I never thought I’d write: I feel sorry for BYU fans.

First, they have a really good team this year - maybe their best since 84? I’ll leave that argument to the old timers but what I saw yesterday wasn’t just a bad navy team; the cougars are fast, physical, and have straight maulers up front - and their original schedule that they were supposed to play would have put them to the test against good competition. If they could have come out of that with 10+ wins, they’d have had a real argument for the ny6 bowl. 

Covid has ruined everything and 2020 is a monster. No one is immune. 

Yep it sucks but still much better than anyone else in the West. But it’s not the best Team. 96 was better and Bronco probably had a bunch of teams better. But we will see at the end of the year. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

46 minutes ago, robe said:

Yep it sucks but still much better than anyone else in the West. But it’s not the best Team. 96 was better and Bronco probably had a bunch of teams better. But we will see at the end of the year. 

I mean, yeah. At least you got something to do.

11 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

It’s really nothing to brag about... every team in the MWC is also undefeated... yes, even UNM!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

21 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

You still pretending that the University of Texas El Paso is in the "West"?   LOL   

They don't have a single western team in the entire conference.   Their entire conference is all Texas schools, and Southeast schools.  

El Paso isnt in the West?

#AlternativeGeography

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

@#1Stunner

Friend, do you disagree with the the BYU History department (which is a great history department for studying the American West, despite the insistence that Native Americans are from the Levant), and BYU's grants and fellowship programs, that El Paso is in the American West?

https://fhssfaculty.byu.edu/FacultyPage/djgonzo

https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/history/people/faculty-pages/jeffrey-shepherd.html

You should e-mail this professor from such a prestigious department and inform him that he should change his focus, since El Paso is not in the West. Or maybe talk to University leadership? We cannot have these false narratives out there suggesting that BYU did, indeed, play in the West during such a year of harships!

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

El Paso isnt in the West?

#AlternativeGeography

Correct. 

Americans are embarrassingly uninformed about geography....Don't feel bad you didn't know this.

Conference USA has no Mountain or Pacific states, and is in Texas (Conference USA is not a "western conference")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_states

The Mountain States generally are considered to include: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_states

There are five states in this division – Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington  

shooting star GIF

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

@#1Stunner

Friend, do you disagree with the the BYU History department (which is a great history department for studying the American West, despite the insistence that Native Americans are from the Levant), that El Paso is in the American West?

https://fhssfaculty.byu.edu/FacultyPage/djgonzo

https://www.utep.edu/liberalarts/history/people/faculty-pages/jeffrey-shepherd.html

You should e-mail this professor from such a prestigious department and inform him that he should change his focus, since El Paso is not in the West. Or maybe talk to University leadership? We cannot have these false narratives out there suggesting that BYU did, indeed, play in the West during such a year of harships!

Yes, I disagree with your assertion that Conference USA (together with the MWC and PAC12) is a "western conference".

We have a lot of Professors on here that are embarrassingly uninformed.  This guy could be a colleague of yours. 

Aren't you one of those?   Where do you teach?

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Yes, I disagree.

We have a lot of Professors on here that are embarrassingly uninformed.

Aren't you one of those?   Where do you teach?

Friend, I am glad that you are such an independent thinker! I think you should send an e-mail to your prestigious institution and tell them that they are misinformed in their definition of the "West!" They should use their clout to get anyone at the University of Texas, El Paso, excluded from all grants and fellowships associated with Western History, and also make sure that any historical scholarship that focuses on El Paso also be excluded from any associations or publications that focus on the "West."

Why are you allowing such a great institution to wallow in the depths of misinformation? You must correct their #FakeGeography!